D70 resolution: 3008x2000 - what's the 8 all about

Old January 1st 05, 10:37 PM
paul

Default D70 resolution: 3008x2000 - what's the 8 all about

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.
Old January 1st 05, 11:06 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:37:27 -0800, paul wrote:

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

3000 isn't divisible by 16, 3008 is.

The answer to your next question is to allow lossless rotation of JPEGs :-)

--
John Bean

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by
accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents (Nathaniel Borenstein)
Old January 2nd 05, 02:47 AM
leo

paul wrote:
The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

Why would you care? The Sony sensor used in the D70 doesn't have the 3:2
ratio anyway. A 35mm film is 36mmx24mm. Sony's chip is 23.7mmx15.6mm and
that makes the crop factor comes out to somewhere between 1.519x and
1.538x. Just for comparison, Canon's sensor is 22.5mmx15mm which is
exactly 1.6x.
Old January 2nd 05, 03:37 AM
Merritt Mullen

John Bean wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:37:27 -0800, paul wrote:

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

3000 isn't divisible by 16, 3008 is.

The answer to your next question is to allow lossless rotation of JPEGs :-)

And MY next question is "How does 3008x2000 equate to the advertised 6.1
megapixels?" Seems to me it should be 6.016 megapixels.

Merritt
Old January 2nd 05, 09:54 AM
David J Taylor

Merritt Mullen wrote:
In article ,
John Bean wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:37:27 -0800, paul wrote:

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

3000 isn't divisible by 16, 3008 is.

The answer to your next question is to allow lossless rotation of
JPEGs :-)

And MY next question is "How does 3008x2000 equate to the advertised
6.1 megapixels?" Seems to me it should be 6.016 megapixels.

Merritt

One presumes that marketing are allowed to round anything up!

Actually 3008 x 2000 is:-

6.016 million pixels

5875 KP (if K = 1024)

5.74MP (if M = 1024 x 1024)

So if the computing definition of mega were used, the camera is only
5.74MP!

(Some people complained a while back that not all "128MB" CF cards had the
same capacity, and indeed it seems that some manufacturers use the MB =
1000000 bytes and other use MB = 1024 * 1024 bytes).

Cheers,
David

Old January 2nd 05, 11:50 AM
John Bean

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:37:09 GMT, Merritt Mullen wrote:

In article ,
John Bean wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:37:27 -0800, paul wrote:

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

3000 isn't divisible by 16, 3008 is.

The answer to your next question is to allow lossless rotation of JPEGs :-)

And MY next question is "How does 3008x2000 equate to the advertised 6.1
megapixels?" Seems to me it should be 6.016 megapixels.

You'll have to ask the whoever writes the advertising copy ;-)

FWIW my Pentax DS (with the same sensor) delivers 3008x2008 raw files, but
crops JPEGs to 3008x2000.

--
John Bean

In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere
is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that
fear (John C. Dvorak)
Old January 2nd 05, 02:59 PM
Lourens Smak

In article , leo
wrote:

paul wrote:
The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

Why would you care? The Sony sensor used in the D70 doesn't have the 3:2
ratio anyway. A 35mm film is 36mmx24mm. Sony's chip is 23.7mmx15.6mm and
that makes the crop factor comes out to somewhere between 1.519x and
1.538x. Just for comparison, Canon's sensor is 22.5mmx15mm which is
exactly 1.6x.

why post an answer if you are totally clueless?

Lourens
Old January 2nd 05, 04:41 PM
Alan Browne

John Bean wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:37:27 -0800, paul wrote:

The D70 resolution is 3008x2000 pixels.

What is the extra 8 pixels all about?

Not that it matters I suppose, just curious.

3000 isn't divisible by 16, 3008 is.

The answer to your next question is to allow lossless rotation of JPEGs :-)

Lossless rotation can be maintained by merely keeping the number of pixels the
same, eg: 3000 x 1500 - 1500 x 3000 (or whatever dimesnions you please).

The 3008/16 is, as you imply, simply adopting the digital 'rounding' boundary
that takes place with most digital devices.

Cheers,
Alan

Old January 2nd 05, 04:45 PM

In message ,
Merritt Mullen wrote:

And MY next question is "How does 3008x2000 equate to the advertised 6.1
megapixels?" Seems to me it should be 6.016 megapixels.

There is a border of RAW image data around the edges that most cameras
making JPEGs or RAW converters will toss away in the process. There are
also areas of pixels that are not exposed to light at all.
--

John P Sheehy

Old January 2nd 05, 04:52 PM
David J Taylor

Alan Browne wrote:
[]
Lossless rotation can be maintained by merely keeping the number of
pixels the same, eg: 3000 x 1500 - 1500 x 3000 (or whatever
dimesnions you please).
The 3008/16 is, as you imply, simply adopting the digital 'rounding'
boundary that takes place with most digital devices.

Alan, I think you will find that lossless rotation requires that the image
dimensions be a multiple of 16 (and not 8 as I incorrectly stated
earlier).

Cheers,
David