Canon 28-135mm IS ?

Old December 30th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon 28-135mm IS ?

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in the
Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best option
in it's price range for that type of zoom?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Simon.
Old December 30th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen M. Dunn

In article " writes:
$Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in the
$Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best option
$in it's price range for that type of zoom?

The Web is full of opinions of this lens; search.

Quick summary: it's an above-average performer for a consumer
zoom lens, certainly one of Canon's best consumer zoom lenses. I'm
happy I bought one several years ago, although after switching from
film to 1.6-crop digital, it's not an all-round lens any more due to
the crop factor.
--
Stephen M. Dunn
---------------- http://www.stevedunn.ca/ ----------------

Old December 30th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Burdett

Hi Simon,

I used to have this lens..it's excellent, and the IS is a blessing. The only
reason I sold it was to help fund an EF 70-200 f4. I later bought a Tamron
28-70 f2.8. I do regret selling it though...I think it's one of the best
value "walkabout" lenses out there. You won't regret buying it. One thing to
consider though is the fact that it's not a great lens for low light indoors
shots. You may wish to read some reviews such as:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27. I
think that the bestoption is to try one out at the stoe if possible.Good
luck
Cheers,
Paul

Old December 31st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Barr

Paul Burdett wrote:
Hi Simon,

You may wish to read some reviews such as:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27.

Last I checked (several days ago) this lens was for sale in the Buy/Sell
forum at FM for a very decent price ($290) with hood & filter.
Cosmetically imperfect. Might be worth taking a look.
Old December 31st 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
default

wrote in message
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in the
Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best option in
it's price range for that type of zoom?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Simon.

Adorama has this lens on sale for $349.95us for a Canon USA factory
refurbished unit.
http://www.adorama.com/CA28135ISUR.h...35mm&item_no=3

I've had one for about a year and I really like this lens. I find it very
sharp and the focussing is fast and silent, distortions, chromatic
aberations, and vignetting are all low.

If your camera is one of the 1.6 crop units (300D, 350D, 400D, 10D, 20D,
20Da, 30D, D30, D60) then the 28-135 doesn't go wide angle, just from normal
field of view (normal being where the focal length = image diagonal) to
telephoto. If you have an EF-S mount, then keep your 18-55mm as a quick and
light wide angle.

The IS is fantastic, but it does drift over time with this lens. This is
why IS is not recommended for use on a tripod. The problem only shows up
for exposures longer than about 1/10 seconds. At 1/8sec you might be better
to turn off the IS. If you put the camera on a sturdy tripod with the IS
on, then hold the shutter open, you will find the image moves in a slow
ellipse over a period of several seconds. But for normal shutter speeds
from 1/20 and faster, the IS is a tremendous blessing that really improves
the pictures.

Old December 31st 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

default wrote:
wrote in message
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in
the Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best
option in it's price range for that type of zoom?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Simon.

Adorama has this lens on sale for $349.95us for a Canon USA factory
refurbished unit.
http://www.adorama.com/CA28135ISUR.h...35mm&item_no=3

Pay the extra $40 bucks and get it brand new at Costco...home of the
UNBEATABLE return policy:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...-Canon_Landing

Or a shorter version of that link:
http://tinyurl.com/y7w3eb

Or...pay $389 after rebate from B&H.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 31st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:39:58 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in
the Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best
option in it's price range for that type of zoom?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Simon.

That was my all-around lens for about 6 years. I found it exceptionally
useful, and of very good quality. The IS came in very handy for VERY slow
shutter, hand-held shots. On a cropped-sensor DSLR, it is a NICE lens for
anything but very wide angle.

Unless you're ready to shell out for Canon L glass (at 4 times the price), I
think the 28-135 is about the best option for a normal all-around lens.

The 24-105mm f4L is a worthy alternative and is highly regarded. It is
expensive but not 4x the cost of the 28-135.

KS
Old December 31st 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:43:40 GMT, "
wrote:

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a lens for general use. I'm interested in the
Canon 28-135 IS, do any of you use this lens and is it the best option
in it's price range for that type of zoom?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Simon.

This was my walk-around lens on my Digital Rebel, and remains so on my
30D.
The wide angle end isn't so hot, but otherwise it's a great lens. The
IS works well.
Quality is very good. Focus is fast (for me, anyway).
It isn't an "L" lens, but it isn't far off, either.
As for "best option", that will depend on your own personaly opinion.
It works very well for me, and I've been very happy with it.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"