[OT - US/Canada] E-85

Old May 6th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Default [OT - US/Canada] E-85

For the North American audience
60 Minutes will present a segement on E-85 (Ethanol) fuels,

Sunday May 7 (19:00 EDT, CBS).

I halfheartedly apologize for the OT posting, but you know how sensitive
I am on this topic.

E-85 is 85% ethanol. The vehicle must have a fuel mix sensor and
controls. This is a growth trend area in North America which, while it
doesn't reduce consumption, it at least displaces it with a renewable
fuel that burns cleaner than gasoline.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 6th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Default E-85

It's so clean it scours the inside of the engine, causing drastically
increased part's wear.
Of for the days of tetraethyl lead.

Old May 6th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Rich wrote:

It's so clean it scours the inside of the engine, causing drastically
increased part's wear.
Of for the days of tetraethyl lead.

"Repairs and reliability of the E-85 Luminas have been slightly better
than their gasoline counterparts."
http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/85__Et...__ethanol.html

"Because E-85 ethanol fuel is a cleaner-burning fuel than gasoline, it
is expected that the life of an E-85 vehicle will be somewhat longer
than a comparable gasoline vehicle."
http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/85__Et...__ethanol.html

I recognize that the site above may be biased. If you have a factual
site regarding reliability or engine wear regarding E85, I'm very
interested.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Alan Browne wrote:
For the North American audience
60 Minutes will present a segement on E-85 (Ethanol) fuels,

Sunday May 7 (19:00 EDT, CBS).

I halfheartedly apologize for the OT posting, but you know how sensitive
I am on this topic.

E-85 is 85% ethanol. The vehicle must have a fuel mix sensor and
controls. This is a growth trend area in North America which, while it
doesn't reduce consumption, it at least displaces it with a renewable
fuel that burns cleaner than gasoline.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the pollution created and energy
used in the manufacture of E85 offsets the savings?

Eric

Old May 7th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

"bluezfolk" wrote in message
ps.com...

Alan Browne wrote:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the pollution created and energy
used in the manufacture of E85 offsets the savings?

Eric

Is it true that you still beat your wife and kids?

Old May 7th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

bluezfolk wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

For the North American audience
60 Minutes will present a segement on E-85 (Ethanol) fuels,

Sunday May 7 (19:00 EDT, CBS).

I halfheartedly apologize for the OT posting, but you know how sensitive
I am on this topic.

E-85 is 85% ethanol. The vehicle must have a fuel mix sensor and
controls. This is a growth trend area in North America which, while it
doesn't reduce consumption, it at least displaces it with a renewable
fuel that burns cleaner than gasoline.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the pollution created and energy
used in the manufacture of E85 offsets the savings?

Nope.
http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/85__Et...__ethanol.html

Suggests a net 33% gain (and improving).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 7th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Alan Browne wrote:
bluezfolk wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

For the North American audience
60 Minutes will present a segement on E-85 (Ethanol) fuels,

Sunday May 7 (19:00 EDT, CBS).

I halfheartedly apologize for the OT posting, but you know how
sensitive I am on this topic.

E-85 is 85% ethanol. The vehicle must have a fuel mix sensor and
controls. This is a growth trend area in North America which,
while it doesn't reduce consumption, it at least displaces it with
a renewable fuel that burns cleaner than gasoline.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the pollution created and
energy
used in the manufacture of E85 offsets the savings?

Nope.
http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/85__Et...__ethanol.html

Suggests a net 33% gain (and improving).

Way I heard it, there isn't sufficient production and infrastructure
to supply sufficient material to make a significant difference. The
liquid's nature is such that it isn't an appropriate subject for
current mass distribution methods: it must be _trucked_ to its
destination. Again, insufficient capacity likely to be available in
the forseeable future.

Too bad. I really like the idea of fuel from renewable biomass. We've
just made the wrong investments for too long. Sad.

--
Frank ess

Old May 7th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

it must be _trucked_ to its destination

Isn't all gas trucked to its destination?

And if the trucks use the same fuel...

Old May 7th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Bill wrote:
Frank ess wrote:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the pollution created and
energy
used in the manufacture of E85 offsets the savings?

Nope.
http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/85__Et...__ethanol.html

They're promoting ethanol use, so they might be biased.

Way I heard it, there isn't sufficient production and
infrastructure
to supply sufficient material to make a significant difference. The
liquid's nature is such that it isn't an appropriate subject for
current mass distribution methods: it must be _trucked_ to its
destination.

This may come as a shock to you, but most "gas stations" get their
fuel from a transport truck hauling a tanker.

I too like the idea of using ethanol, but the government will have
step in or the oil companies with their massive resources will
continue to derail the use of ethanol.

It may come as a shock to you, Bill, but your attribution snip is
faulty.

Plus which, a road-going tanker is not a _mass_ distribution method in
this context.