Please help me narrow my choices

Old February 4th 05, 12:44 AM
Joseph Meehan

Barry Bean wrote:
I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera.
After researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
short telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max
resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
lens collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to
use many of my existing lenses.

You have picked out some very nice cameras. I happen to have the 20D
and I have been very happy with it. However I am going to make a
suggestion. Go out and pick up and handle each of them. Work all the usual
controls. Look through the view finder. How do they feel to you. Don't
pick one that just feels bad. It always will. Don't pick out one just
because it feels good, but how it feels is important.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 4th 05, 12:46 AM
Rudy Benner

Default Please help me narrow my choices

"Barry Bean" wrote in message
.. .
I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
my existing lenses.

I doubt that you will get all those cameras for less than $2000.

Old February 4th 05, 01:43 AM
Tony Hwang

Barry Bean wrote:
I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
my existing lenses.

Hi,
I'll drop D100 since D70 is included.
They're all good cameras.
Personally I'd go for Canon.
Have fun.
Tony

Old February 4th 05, 04:02 AM
Scharf-DCA

Barry Bean wrote:

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to

short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus

lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use

many of
my existing lenses.

Well that eliminates the Nikon's. Of the E1 and the 20D, the 20D is
much better.

$2000 is certainly do-able. I would advise getting the 20D kit with the
18-55 EF-S lens.

Later, you're probably going to want the 10-22 EF-S lens, but right now
it's a little pricey at $720.

Old February 4th 05, 04:20 AM

On 3 Feb 2005 23:01:41 GMT, Barry Bean wrote:

I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
my existing lenses.

I don't own one, but I have been drooling over the Canon 20D since
it's introduction. I have been trying to convince myself that a
cheaper camera will do, with no luck. I even own a couple of pentax
lenses which led me to the Pentax *istDS, but I alwaws come back to
the 20d. Take a look at the images at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...d_samples.html

Look at the sample images from the other cameras at the same site and
go from there.

HTH
Bill
Old February 4th 05, 04:49 AM
Michael Meissner

Barry Bean writes:

I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is $2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
my existing lenses.

Evidently with the E1, if you call up Olympus they will send you an adaptor for
your OM lenses. I haven't done this yet, but others have. You need to use
them in stop down metering mode, and manual focus, but that presumably isn't a
problem for you. Do remember that on the E1, the focal range doubles (ie, a
50mm lens gives the same field of view on the E1 as a 100mm lens would on a
film camera).

Assuming by "max resolution" you mean RAW mode, you will need roughly 1.5
gigabytes of compact flash (figure about $100/gigabyte for the fast memory), as
I can get 34 shots of RAW+JPG on one of my 512MB cards. If you were to shoot
JPG at the least compression, a single 512MB card will hold roughly 128
pictures.

I bought my E1 for roughly $2k at the local shop (E1, 14-54mm lens, 2 512MB
Sandisk Extremem CF cards, 67mm multicoated UV filter), and I suspect you could
probably do better than that if you searched around for a good reputible
internet dealer.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old February 4th 05, 07:58 AM
Pete D

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Barry Bean wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree, but would drop the D100 off the list and I am thinking that you
would really have to have a good reason to go the E1 over the 20D.

Old February 4th 05, 08:04 AM
Pete D

I don't own one, but I have been drooling over the Canon 20D since
it's introduction. I have been trying to convince myself that a
cheaper camera will do, with no luck. I even own a couple of pentax
lenses which led me to the Pentax *istDS, but I alwaws come back to
the 20d.

You should probably look at the *ist D then, personally I really like my
*ist DS.

I have some samples at www.photographyreview.com

Old February 4th 05, 10:39 AM
measekite

1. Canon 20D
2. Nikon D70
3. Canon Digital Rebel *There should be a new one coming out soon. If
it is similar to the 20D in a poly body then it might be a number 2.