8Mp Digital The Theoretical 35mm Quality Equivelant

Old November 19th 04, 01:19 AM
Alan Browne

Matt wrote:

I heard someone say that 8Mp digital cameras were the equivalent to 35mm
film quality?

Does this mean they have the theoretical equivalent resolution? Are they
the equivalent to 35mm?

As digital has no 'grain' per se, they do produce very clean images up to about
15 x 10 (inches).

Film resolves higher than an 8 mpix sensor. However it is noisier than a
digital image. Decent prints up to about 24 x 16 are quite possible. I
recently finished some scans from Kodachrome 25 for a friend. Considering the
slow film and the shots are handheld, the detail is very good.

The scans are 7256 x 4880 ( 35 MPix) (so a print at 300 dpi will work out to
about 24x36) which is how he's ordering the prints for 3 of them. I'm sure an 8
Mpix would not do nearly as well... and if my friend had used a tripod, well...

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Old November 19th 04, 01:28 AM
Joseph Meehan

They are in the same range today. I still give most film an edge at
8MP. The quality of an image from a high quality camera vs a low quality
one will not be equal nor will images from the best 35mm film - camera
combination equal the quality of the worse. The ranges overlap. In
addition you are really talking apples and oranges so there can not be a
direct comparison.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Chris Brown

In article , Mike Kohary wrote:

35mm is a size - 35mm is 35mm. 6MP is considered approximately
equivalent, so 8MP probably exceeds 35mm in terms of resolution.

Not slow slide film it doesn't, but image quality is about a lot more than
resolution.
Old November 19th 04, 01:41 AM
Gene Palmiter

Trying to be funny when it obviously isn't your forté if that post is
anything to go by.

Yep...as far as "being funny" he will have to get by on his looks.

Old November 19th 04, 01:41 AM
Gene Palmiter

Old November 19th 04, 02:17 AM
Alan Browne

Harvey wrote:

Trying to be funny when it obviously isn't your forté if that post is
anything to go by.

OTOH Martin is pretty accomplished photog which counts more around here...