Windows deletes Picasa

Old November 25th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Windows deletes Picasa

On 25/11/2018 14:45, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
An OS for general purpose/popular use by people who are not computer
experts shouldn't require that people "know what they are doing" to
avoid pitfalls such as that described.

Tell that to the folk who add unwanted updates and tweaks to iOS or
Android! Quite a lot of what you learnt (lamost completely
undocumented) from one generation is broken by the next....

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 25th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-11-25 13:30, David Taylor wrote:

Tell that to the folk who add unwanted updates and tweaks to iOS or
Android!Â* Quite a lot of what you learnt (lamost completely
undocumented) from one generation is broken by the next....

Not really for iOS (I can't speak for Android). The way certain things
are done changes, and that is quickly found out by experiment, your nerd
buddy, internet sources, etc.

Apps are usually updated ahead of the iOS changes (good apps anyway) if
there is an effect on the app and the developer is staying on top (as
(s)he should). That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings. (several iOS v. ago).

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old November 25th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

An OS for general purpose/popular use by people who are not computer
experts shouldn't require that people "know what they are doing" to
avoid pitfalls such as that described.

Tell that to the folk who add unwanted updates and tweaks to iOS or
Android! Quite a lot of what you learnt (lamost completely
undocumented) from one generation is broken by the next....

nonsense, and if something is undocumented, it can change at any time
for any reason.
Old November 25th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Apps are usually updated ahead of the iOS changes (good apps anyway) if
there is an effect on the app and the developer is staying on top (as
(s)he should).

true, but most developers wait for the final release to actually deploy
the update.

That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings. (several iOS v. ago).

that's not new. it's been that way since ios began and entirely up to
individual app developers where to put app settings.

apple wanted a central location for all settings. some app developers
adopted that concept while others did not.
Old November 25th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2018-11-25 13:30, David Taylor wrote:

Tell that to the folk who add unwanted updates and tweaks to iOS or
Android!Â* Quite a lot of what you learnt (lamost completely
undocumented) from one generation is broken by the next....

Not really for iOS (I can't speak for Android).Â* The way certain things
are done changes, and that is quickly found out by experiment, your nerd
buddy, internet sources, etc.

Apps are usually updated ahead of the iOS changes (good apps anyway) if
there is an effect on the app and the developer is staying on top (as
(s)he should).Â* That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings.Â* (several iOS v.
ago).

Exactly, unwanted and generally undocumented. Shouldn't have to be
discovered by accident....

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 25th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-11-25 13:58, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Apps are usually updated ahead of the iOS changes (good apps anyway) if
there is an effect on the app and the developer is staying on top (as
(s)he should).

true, but most developers wait for the final release to actually deploy
the update.

That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings. (several iOS v. ago).

that's not new.

Why I said several iOS versions ago.

it's been that way since ios began and entirely up to
individual app developers where to put app settings.

apple wanted a central location for all settings. some app developers
adopted that concept while others did not.

It's structurally wrong.

System settings should contain system related settings.

App settings should contain app related settings.

Old November 25th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2018-11-23 06:53, Neil wrote:

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete
their programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced
Paint. Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10
machines. Of course, those who don't know what they're doing are
having one hell of a time with Win10.

An OS for general purpose/popular use by people who are not computer
experts shouldn't require that people "know what they are doing" to
avoid pitfalls such as that described.

Since those "pitfalls as described" regarding Paint are far from
universal and may be unique to RichA for all you know, your opinion
doesn't describe any OS I have seen. Perhaps you can present one that
fits your criteria?

Mac OS generally.Â* My SO (who doesn't like or enjoy computers much) has
a MBA and doesn't fight with it unless it's a website related issue.
OTOH, her work Windows machine gives her no end of fits which are OS or
app issues.

Sorry, but "generally" does not qualify for the absolute statement that
you made. I agree that the MacOS is *generally* aimed at ease of use and
does a very good job of that, but it's a trade-off for the level of
flexibility that MS' OS have always offered in terms of hardware and
apps. The consequence of MS' flexibility is that it is never been a
benefit to less knowledgeable users. As I see it, it's just a matter of
the OSes being aimed at different user bases, just as are Linux and others.

And while evolving versions of Mac OS may stop supporting an app, it
doesn't outright delete it.

If it was an OS issue, that problem would be universally experienced. I
have never seen Windows delete Paint on any of the machines I support.
When something like that does happen one can usually point to something
the user had done to cause it.

Â* An app can (usually) be copied out to
another Mac or volume and run again with an older version of the OS.Â* No
need to "install".Â* Try "copying" an installed app under windows to
another machine to run under a deprecated v. of the OS...Â* (it better be
a very simple app).

Again, "usually" is not a universal. Try installing any current version
of Creative Suite on MacOS9. As for being able to run apps on older
versions of Windows (or any other OS), it always depends on the app, so
it's hardly a basis for criticism.

As an OS agnostic, the only thing that matters to me is putting together
a system to do the job at hand, and I am not aware of a universal
solution to that.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 25th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings. (several iOS v.
ago).

that's not new.

Why I said several iOS versions ago.

where 'several' is 11 versions ago, with iphone os 1 in 2007.

it's been that way since ios began and entirely up to
individual app developers where to put app settings.

^this^

apple wanted a central location for all settings. some app developers
adopted that concept while others did not.

It's structurally wrong.

System settings should contain system related settings.

App settings should contain app related settings.

both methods are valid.

having it in settings is less clutter for the app. the problem is that
there's no consistency. some apps even have a mix of both.
Old November 25th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

* An app can (usually) be copied out to
another Mac or volume and run again with an older version of the OS.* No
need to "install".* Try "copying" an installed app under windows to
another machine to run under a deprecated v. of the OS...* (it better be
a very simple app).

Again, "usually" is not a universal. Try installing any current version
of Creative Suite on MacOS9.

try installing a current version of creative suite on windows 98.

As for being able to run apps on older
versions of Windows (or any other OS), it always depends on the app, so
it's hardly a basis for criticism.

not always.

As an OS agnostic, the only thing that matters to me is putting together
a system to do the job at hand, and I am not aware of a universal
solution to that.

you're in no way os agnostic.
Old November 26th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-11-25 14:34, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

That said, there are changes that Apple make that I find
very annoying - such as app settings that should be within an app's
settings panel that are moved to the system settings. (several iOS v.
ago).

that's not new.

Why I said several iOS versions ago.

where 'several' is 11 versions ago, with iphone os 1 in 2007.

I was referring to the sudden shift in Apple apps to move things into
the settings. The compass is an example.

it's been that way since ios began and entirely up to
individual app developers where to put app settings.

^this^

apple wanted a central location for all settings. some app developers
adopted that concept while others did not.

It's structurally wrong.

System settings should contain system related settings.

App settings should contain app related settings.

both methods are valid.

Because you can 'do' it that way, does not make that way the best or
correct way.

Violates structured design principles for s/w design and u/i design.

having it in settings is less clutter for the app. the problem is that

What belongs to an app should be in the app. Period. That's just
structured design.

there's no consistency. some apps even have a mix of both.

Then Apple should respect structured design and make it such that app
configuration/settings are only set from within the app.