Anyone seen any Nikon 500mm f/4 VR lenses?

Old September 8th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Default Anyone seen any Nikon 500mm f/4 VR lenses?

Nikon have the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR lens on their web site.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...g_vr/index.htm

Are there many of these around? I doubt I can afford to buy one, but I
reckon that when they become available, the used price of the non-VR
version of the lens will fall.

The problem is, nobody seems to have this lens. Plenty of places are
still selling the AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D IF-ED II

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...if_2/index.htm

but I can find few places that sell the VR version. One that does is
"Simply Electronics" who must be one of the most doggy sellers around,
so I doubt they actually have them.

Much the same thing applies to the 600mm equivalent

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...g_vr/index.htm

Old September 8th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Dave wrote:
Nikon have the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR lens on their web site.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...g_vr/index.htm

Are there many of these around? I doubt I can afford to buy one, but I
reckon that when they become available, the used price of the non-VR
version of the lens will fall.

The problem is, nobody seems to have this lens. Plenty of places are
still selling the AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D IF-ED II

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...if_2/index.htm

but I can find few places that sell the VR version. One that does is
"Simply Electronics" who must be one of the most doggy sellers around,
so I doubt they actually have them.

Much the same thing applies to the 600mm equivalent

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...g_vr/index.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit
Availability: Out of Stock
Notify when in stock
Add to Wishlist

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 8th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Paul Furman wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Yes, that was what I was finding. The only people that claim to have
them in stock is the doggy dealers on eBay which claim to have
everything in stock, but you know they order them once an order is
placed (if they order them at all).

Are these long telephoto VR lenses from Nikon vaporware?

Perhaps Nikon are having problems making them.

Old September 9th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Andrew Koenig

Perhaps Nikon are having problems making them.

Perhaps the Olympics depleted the worldwide supply.

Old September 9th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

Go on Rita, sell him yours. That is waaaay too much glass to haul
around stuck on that D3.

It is really a well balanced machine with the 500 on it. The D3 doesn't
feel the same with any other lens attached.

To be fair he must have a purpose in mind, and you have the means (at
a fair market price) to help.

Right now the only way the old 500 will be sold is fair market price
+$1,000.

Rita

I can't really justify buying a new VR model (I'm not a pro), but I am
beginning to wonder if its worth paying the sort of money used AF-S II
models are selling for. I reckon buying a used but good condition 500 mm
one from the USA, paying shipping and duty as it comes into the UK will
cost me about 65% of the new price of VR model bought in the UK
(assuming I can find one).

Whilst 35% extra for a new VR model is not in insignificant sum of
money, the fact a new one would

* Have VR
* Be new and be warrantied
* Avoid the risks associated with Paypal
* Be lighter

starts to make a new one look more attractive. Just hard to justify
spending that sort of money on a lens, but I am now giving it serious
consideration.

Old September 10th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

When I buy used lenses I strictly follow the 40% rule. This means that
no matter what I pay for it I will/should get at least 40% return on my
purchase when I flip it. Deals are out there so you just have patience
in find them.

Rita

I don't know what you mean by "flip it". Do you mean you expect to get
40% back if you sell it? Sorry, I'm not from the USA.

There appears to be no problem in getting 40% back on any Nikon lens.
I've got lenses I bought a few years back, such as a 20 mm f/2.8, which
I am sure I could sell at a 40% profit today. They tend to hold their
value well.

There are undoubtedly more lenses in the US than here in the UK, which
probably makes it easier to find one in the US. Sellers in the US are
sometimes reluctant to sell to those outside the US. And I'm a bit
reluctant to send serious money to someone in the US unless I am 100%
sure they are OK.

I think the person selling this *used* Nikon 600mm 600/4 F4 AF-S (not
AF-S II)

is being more than a little optimistic. Although it is in Europe, it's
US equivalent is $9,321. Given other sellers are selling the newer AF-S
II models, brand new for only $200 more, I think the seller is on
another planet.
Old September 10th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:02:48 +0100, Dave wrote:

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

When I buy used lenses I strictly follow the 40% rule. This means that
no matter what I pay for it I will/should get at least 40% return on my
purchase when I flip it. Deals are out there so you just have patience
in find them.

Rita

I don't know what you mean by "flip it". Do you mean you expect to get
40% back if you sell it? Sorry, I'm not from the USA.

We use the word "flip" to mean to buy something and then resell it at
a profit. Usually, the word is used to describe buying and reselling
within a short period of time. It doesn't always work that way.

What Rita has said is that she expects to make 40% profit (return) on
the sale. For example, if she buys it for $100 she expects to sell it
for $140. (Profit is calculated here as a percentage of cost)

That would be very hard to do with something like a camera lens, but
Rita feels she can find a good enough deal when buying to be able to
resell at a profit.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 10th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that explanation.

I tend to agree with you - I doubt you can make 40% profit easily on a
camera lens by selling it quickly. Of course, it is always possible
someone puts a very low buy it now on eBay, but most unlikely. I tend to
see more extreamly high buy it nows on eBay than I ever do very low
ones. I know of one dealer on eBay which was trying to sell X1195A CPUs
for Sun workstations for about $900. At the same time they were selling
for about $15 on average. I tend to see those sort of things far more
than someone selling something at 71% of its market value, so I can sell
it at a 40% profit.

I do believe I've bought Nikon lenses a few years back which I could
sell at a reasonable profit. It rather makes me think there is no point
in hiring lenses except for very short periods, as you might as well buy
them and sell them, effectively hiring them for nothing.

Depreciation on Sigma, Tamron and and other 3rd party lenses appears to
be a lot higher than on Nikons.

I suspect the second hand value of these non-VR lenses will drop a bit
if/when the VR's are easy to get.