Canon PowerShot SX100 IS

Old September 7th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default Canon PowerShot SX100 IS

I was nearly at point of buying a Panny TZ5 when a friend of mine told me he
has just bought the Canon and is raving about it. He had a Panny TZ3 that
was stolen and tells me the Canon's pics are far better!!! This has thrown
me and he is too far away to get my hands on it for a test period. The only
drawback is the Canon is only a 35mm lens whereas the Panny TZ5 is 28 mm.
Would Imiss the 28mm? He went on to say the Canon has more manual control
but not sure if am looking for that!!!

Confused desperate for more help?

Old September 8th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Ken wrote:
I was nearly at point of buying a Panny TZ5 when a friend of mine told me he
has just bought the Canon and is raving about it. He had a Panny TZ3 that
was stolen and tells me the Canon's pics are far better!!! This has thrown
me and he is too far away to get my hands on it for a test period. The only
drawback is the Canon is only a 35mm lens whereas the Panny TZ5 is 28 mm.
Would Imiss the 28mm? He went on to say the Canon has more manual control
but not sure if am looking for that!!!

Confused desperate for more help?

I have been down that road when choosing between the Pan FZ18 and the
Canon S5 IS. I choose Canon after reading numerous reviews that
consistantly said that Canon does less processing so the detail does NOT
get smeared and that the Canon color is better. The Canon is usually a
stop better when it comes to noise.

Notwithstanding the Leica lenses the common opinion is that the Canon
image quality is somewhat better overall.
Old September 8th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:22:22 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

I was nearly at point of buying a Panny TZ5 when a friend of mine told me he
has just bought the Canon and is raving about it. He had a Panny TZ3 that
was stolen and tells me the Canon's pics are far better!!! This has thrown
me and he is too far away to get my hands on it for a test period. The only
drawback is the Canon is only a 35mm lens whereas the Panny TZ5 is 28 mm.
Would Imiss the 28mm? He went on to say the Canon has more manual control
but not sure if am looking for that!!!

Confused desperate for more help?

Both should be nice cameras and each have features that the other
lacks. Some people prefer wider zoom focal lengths, others don't.
I'm not familiar with the TZ5 or the SX100IS, but I assume that the
SX100 IS uses the logically laid out, easy to use tabbed Func. Menu
system that most of Canon's other P&S cameras use. While I'd
personally prefer a zoom lens that has a 28mm wide end, I'd rather
get a camera that had a 35mm wide end than give up Canon's very easy
to use, yet flexible menu layout. Also, don't worry about the Canon
having more manual control. Virtually all cameras that have
powerful manual control features have the same non-manual operating
(auto) modes as the other cameras. Some day, however, you may not
be able to take properly exposed pictures unless you have full
manual control of shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings. The TZ5
uses a proprietary Li-Ion battery and all of the Canon models
mentioned here use standard AA batteries.

That said, one more thing to consider is that both of these
cameras only use the LCD display to frame pictures, which some
photographers consider to be awkward. Other Panasonic and Canon
models add either an optical or electronic viewfinder, which can be
a big help when taking pictures in bright daylight. Some Canon
alternatives (I'm sure that Panasonic has them too, but I'm not as
familiar with their models) that also have viewfinders are the
A590IS and the S3 IS or S5 IS. The A590 IS has a more limited zoom
range, but costs about 1/2 the price. The S3/S5 are somewhat
larger, but have very nice articulated LCD displays that make it
much easier to take some types of pictures, and also allows the LCD
to be protected when the camera isn't being used.

Old September 9th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"ASAAR" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for your most informative help.

Ken

Old September 9th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:26:35 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Thank you for your most informative help.

You're welcome.