HP All-In-One scanning (to memory card?)

Old September 9th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default HP All-In-One scanning (to memory card?)

SMS wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

I thought about that after posting. It seems strange that the writers
of all-in-one printer software seem not to have thought of the scanning
function as something to deal with in the printer's firmware other than
scan to print (copy, basically). I suspect that most of the
intelligence in the scan operation is in the scanning driver for the
computer. It would be a great feature to make a basic 'scan to card'
module available, but I am not aware of any such facility.

My HP 7300 all-in-one has it, and I use it often.

It's especially useful if one of these all in one printers is on a
wireless network and scanning to a computer on the network doesn't work,
as it often doesn't.

Yes, I can print to either of the two printers on my network from my
laptop, but to scan, I have to go to the computer in question, which
makes sense, given that I would have to be there to put in the
document/picture to be scanned in any case. Still, scanning directly to
a memory card would be a useful feature, and probably require little
space in the printer's ROM.
Old September 9th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DavidM

SMS wrote:
DavidM wrote:
Hello. I'm hoping to find some people with experience using an HP
Photosmart C4100 All-in-one or similar.
Most of the various models have memory card readers for printing
pictures directly form the file. However, I want to scan driectly from
the device onto a memory card. Is that possible?

On the HP 7300 all in one you can scan directly to a memory card, but
you can't scan to a USB drive (only print from it).

That's interesting, thanks. I suppose HP saw the benefit and began
adding it to more recent models.

The assistant/computer/cyborg on the end of their live text-chat service
seemed to struggle with the concept, and after some searching informed
me that it was not an option on the c4100. They did not suggest
upgrading to a better model so I guess had no idea the feature exists.
Old September 9th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

DavidM wrote:

The assistant/computer/cyborg on the end of their live text-chat service
seemed to struggle with the concept, and after some searching informed
me that it was not an option on the c4100. They did not suggest
upgrading to a better model so I guess had no idea the feature exists.

I think the lower end models are very limited in capability because they
use much lower performance micro-controllers. The computer is doing all
the work.