HP All-In-One scanning (to memory card?)

Old September 6th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default HP All-In-One scanning (to memory card?)

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 03:15:52 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

DavidM wrote:
Hello. I'm hoping to find some people with experience using an HP
Photosmart C4100 All-in-one or similar. Most of the various models have
memory card readers for printing pictures directly form the file.
However, I want to scan driectly from the device onto a memory card. Is
that possible?

I've googled hard, but found very few answers. The many downloads
available form the HP website only cover the very most basic of tasks.

Would much appreciate some of your wisdom. A relative has one of these,
plus a pile of old family photos, so I hoping that during a visit we
can get a few scanned at reasonable quality rather than using up all of
his ink making copies.

Regards
David

I am not familiar with the driver for that printer, but I suspect that
it would not have that feature, but you can surely scan to your HD, and
just copy the file to the card.

Ron - if you'll read some of the other posts in the thread, you'll find
that the printer is not hooked up to a computer - that's the crux of the
OP's problem.
Old September 7th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

DavidM wrote:
[...]

I thought about that after posting. It seems strange that the writers
of all-in-one printer software seem not to have thought of the scanning
function as something to deal with in the printer's firmware other than
scan to print (copy, basically). I suspect that most of the
intelligence in the scan operation is in the scanning driver for the
computer. It would be a great feature to make a basic 'scan to card'
module available, but I am not aware of any such facility.
Old September 8th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DavidM

DavidM wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies. RAW CCD data to jpeg is the most basic function
of every digital camera. I think it's bizarre that they do not ad this
feature to the all-in-ones.
I think the devices make an excellent choice for people who have no
interest in computing, but still want prints from digital cameras and a
method of copying documents. It seems a shame not to make the maximum
use of the hardwares features, and rely on a PC connection to do more
interesting things.
Old September 8th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

DavidM wrote:
Hello. I'm hoping to find some people with experience using an HP
Photosmart C4100 All-in-one or similar.
Most of the various models have memory card readers for printing
pictures directly form the file. However, I want to scan driectly from
the device onto a memory card. Is that possible?

On the HP 7300 all in one you can scan directly to a memory card, but
you can't scan to a USB drive (only print from it).
Old September 8th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

tony cooper wrote:

Why in the world would you withhold this critical part of your problem
and not provide it until people spend time and energy replying to your
post?

He asked a very specific question, "I want to scan directly from the
device onto a memory card. Is that possible?"

It's not his fault that you didn't know the answer but still felt
compelled to respond with an answer that provided no value.
Old September 8th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Ron Hunter wrote:

I thought about that after posting. It seems strange that the writers
of all-in-one printer software seem not to have thought of the scanning
function as something to deal with in the printer's firmware other than
scan to print (copy, basically). I suspect that most of the
intelligence in the scan operation is in the scanning driver for the
computer. It would be a great feature to make a basic 'scan to card'
module available, but I am not aware of any such facility.

My HP 7300 all-in-one has it, and I use it often.

It's especially useful if one of these all in one printers is on a
wireless network and scanning to a computer on the network doesn't work,
as it often doesn't.
Old September 8th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:45:33 -0700, SMS
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

Why in the world would you withhold this critical part of your problem
and not provide it until people spend time and energy replying to your
post?

He asked a very specific question, "I want to scan directly from the
device onto a memory card. Is that possible?"

It's not his fault that you didn't know the answer but still felt
compelled to respond with an answer that provided no value.

The answer would not have been provided if all facts were known. It's
perfectly acceptable to provide work-arounds to a problem.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 8th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

Why in the world would you withhold this critical part of your problem
and not provide it until people spend time and energy replying to your
post?

He asked a very specific question, "I want to scan directly from the
device onto a memory card. Is that possible?"

It's not his fault that you didn't know the answer but still felt
compelled to respond with an answer that provided no value.

The answer would not have been provided if all facts were known. It's
perfectly acceptable to provide work-arounds to a problem.

So you think that he wasn't already aware that an all-in-one
scanner/printer could scan to the computer?
Old September 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

Why in the world would you withhold this critical part of your problem
and not provide it until people spend time and energy replying to your
post?
He asked a very specific question, "I want to scan directly from the
device onto a memory card. Is that possible?"

It's not his fault that you didn't know the answer but still felt
compelled to respond with an answer that provided no value.

The answer would not have been provided if all facts were known. It's
perfectly acceptable to provide work-arounds to a problem.

So you think that he wasn't already aware that an all-in-one
scanner/printer could scan to the computer?

It's hardly unusual for a person to post a question about something so
basic that you might think that everyone should know the answer.
There are first-time users for everything. Owning an all-in-one does
not mean that the scanning function has been utilized before.
Sometimes that type of device is purchased for other reasons. I have
an all-in-one, but never use the scanning function. I use a separate
scanner (an old Microtek), but purchased the all-in-one because of
rebate deal that made the combo unit practically free.

All the poster had to do was include the simple phrase that no
computer would be or could be used.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 9th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

DavidM wrote:

Thanks for the replies. RAW CCD data to jpeg is the most basic function
of every digital camera. I think it's bizarre that they do not ad this
feature to the all-in-ones.

The most basic is raw CCD data to raw.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.