Taking pictures faster

Old August 21st 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SebNoker

Default Taking pictures faster

I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

Old August 21st 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Srki

"SebNoker" wrote in message
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

It is called shutter lag. You need to get better/faster camera. All P&S's
have it, and also SLR's have it, it's just, SLR's shutter lag is so short
you don't notice it. It has to do with technics of the camera, when you
press the button it takes a while to measure&focus, also when flash aplied
it takes some time to reload the flash. The point is, you get what you pay
for, so why not go for some entry dSLR, can be found under 1000$ these days,
and you get quiete decent kit.

Old August 21st 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Srki

"SebNoker" wrote in message
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

Some cameras even let you take pictures at 6-8 frames per second...no flash
afcours.

Old August 22nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John[_17_]

It's not necessarily shutter lag, it could be the time it takes to write
the image to the memory card.

John.

Old August 22nd 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
CharleyWest

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:43 -0500, lid
(SebNoker) wrote:

I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

The A30 camera has a "Continuous Shooting" mode on that can shoot 2.5 frames per
second. Most all P&S cameras have that option on them, your Fuji camera probably
does too. Some are faster, some slower than that frame-rate. When you select
that option you just hold down the shutter button and it will take one picture
every 0.4 seconds, non-stop, until you release the shutter button. Unlike dslrs
that only shoot a few frames before they have to dump all the images to their
memory card and you end up waiting while losing important shots. Not to mention
making an obnoxious sound like a Gatling-gun going off while it's taking images.
Your P&S cameras are totally silent.

You can also speed up the shooting from single shot to single shot by going into
your camera's menus and turning off the "Review" time-delay. The "Review"
setting displays the last photo you took for a selected amount of seconds after
you release the shutter. It's annoying to leave that turned on. If you want to
see the image you just took hold down the shutter button after you take the
image. This way you can manually control how long you want to review your last
image without being interrupted if you need to shoot another image immediately.

You don't need a dslr. Ignore the replies that suggested that as your only
solution. They're ignorant trolls and idiots, as they've just proved to the
world, yet again.

Old August 22nd 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

SebNoker wrote:
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

This is likely a function of how much buffer memory the camera has, and
how fast the flash card you have in it can write an image to flash
memory. I am not familiar with that camera, but there are several
things that influence the speed at which a digital camera can capture
images. These a

Focus speed.
Flash recharge speed.
Size of ram buffer (how many images can be stored).
Speed of the flash card.
Sensor clear and capture speed.

Some cameras have a 'burst' mode in which they will take as many as 6
images in only a couple of seconds (no flash). My camera will take
several pictures as fast as I can push the button, if I set the focus to
'landscape', and the flash is off. The limitation is how much ram
memory it has to fill before needing to write data to the flash card
(which is much slower).

If you can find the specifications for that camera, these things should
be covered there.
Old August 22nd 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

Srki wrote:
[]
It is called shutter lag. You need to get better/faster camera. All
P&S's have it, and also SLR's have it, it's just, SLR's shutter lag
is so short you don't notice it. It has to do with technics of the
camera, when you press the button it takes a while to measure&focus,
also when flash aplied it takes some time to reload the flash. The
point is, you get what you pay for, so why not go for some entry
dSLR, can be found under 1000$ these days, and you get quiete decent
kit.

DSLRs at under US $500 even:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

David

Old August 22nd 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Srki wrote:
"SebNoker" wrote in message
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called anyway.
Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures, or i
mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i have a
fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take another
one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can take
pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics of the
camera itself so need to get a new camera?

It is called shutter lag.

Not at 5-10 seconds, it's not.

I'm guessing slow write to card, or flash recharge.

Note to OP - despite being called "shutter lag", the delay
(in a ready to shoot camera) from pressing the button
to actual capture is caused by auto-focus and exposure
estimation - it's not really caused by the shutter.

BugBear
Old August 22nd 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SebNoker

SebNoker wrote:
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called

anyway. Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures,
or i mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i
have a fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take

another one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can
take pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics
of the camera itself so need to get a new camera?

Thank you
everyone ! Im at work now so cant try this, will do as soon as i get
back home!! Thanks for the info and help!!!!

Old August 23rd 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SebNoker

SebNoker wrote:
I have a canon a30 right now. I think thats what it was called

anyway. Question, is there a setting that allows me to take pictures,
or i mean individual pictures faster, and not just for the canon, i
have a fuji as well?
Now, i push the button and have to wait 5-10 seconds to take

another one, with flash or without, is there a setting so you can
take pictures one after another, or is that to do with the technics
of the camera itself so need to get a new camera?

Ive tried it
out and it works much bette now, took away the image preview, set the
quality lower, and now its possible to take pictures much faster.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!