AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

Old June 9th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

wrote in message

Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
vendors.

Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

Being an AT&T customer and a reader of various newgroups, please provide
some information of such third-party vendors. Thank you.

Old June 9th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
vendors.

Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

Being an AT&T customer and a reader of various newgroups, please provide
some information of such third-party vendors. Thank you.

I do not know about AT&T, but Verizon cut off all Usenet except for the "big
8" some time ago. They did not reduce the rates to reflect the reduction in
service. I bet they did not reduce your rates to compensate for removing a
service that could be reasonably expected in a standard ISP contract.

Here is one alternate provider. I have not used them, but I may.

http://newsguy.com/overview.htm

^^-^^ 21:35:01 up 3 days, 12:30, 3 users, load average: 4.24, 4.33, 4.23
Old September 7th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Fateman

I'm using aioe.org for reading and posting nttp.aioe.org

It's free, but it doesn't keep the messages around for a really long time.

Good to see people (the same ones!) are still listening in. My darkroom
isn't getting nearly as much use as my computer!

RJF
Old September 8th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Richard Fateman" wrote in message
I'm using aioe.org for reading and posting
nttp.aioe.org

It's free, but it doesn't keep the messages around for a
really long time.

Good to see people (the same ones!) are still listening
in. My darkroom
isn't getting nearly as much use as my computer!

RJF

Well a few of us are still around. I ansered your
e-mail.
I was wrong big time about the message from AT&T being
a troll. A lot of former news group people have gone over to
web based forums of various sorts. That may have some
advantages and I am a member of several but I still like
Usnet best.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old September 8th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Richard Fateman" wrote in message
I'm using aioe.org for reading and posting nttp.aioe.org

It's free, but it doesn't keep the messages around for a really long time.

Good to see people (the same ones!) are still listening in. My darkroom
isn't getting nearly as much use as my computer!

I'm using eternal-september with no problems at all.

Old September 9th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
YD

Late at night, by candle light, "Richard Knoppow"
penned this immortal opus:

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in
message ...

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in
message ...
Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, Verizon is cutting off all Usenet at the end of
this month.
As usual, they are not cutting their rates for this
reduction in service.

.
Just for the record - I am now using the services of
eternal-september, previously known - I believe - as
Mozzarella.

Earthlink (Netcom) some time ago farmed out Usenet to
something called Demonews. This works pretty well. Usenet
service had been awful for years on Earthlink related
companies. As far as reducing services and keeping the rates
the same its just another way for business to cheat its
customers.

I'm using Forté's usenet service
(http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php), and have no complaints. At
2.95 for 12 gigs/mo it's a steal.