Nikkor 24-120MM F3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Lens VERSUS the 70-200 MM F 2.8 G ED-IF AF-s VR Zoom Lens

Old March 25th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikkor 24-120MM F3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Lens VERSUS the 70-200 MM F 2.8 G ED-IF AF-s VR Zoom Lens

Hello, Not trying to start a war.

I currently have the D-70S and the Kit Lens. In addition I have the
80-400MM Zoom VR lens. It's ok, and I took some great pictures with it. I
want something in the middle, or I will get rid of the 80-400 and use the
70-200 Instead.

Was wondering if anyone has and uses the 24-220 lens mentioned above? I
want to purchase a Diopter to use if for macro photography and based on the
review at http://www.naturfotograf.com he does not think it's as good a lens
as the 70-200 VR.

I am asking for your personal experiences and how you have used the lens
(24-120) what issues you have had to overcome and what you did.

The lens sells for around 510.00 US at D and H. Looked on e-bay and could
not find one there.

My girlfriend uses the 24-85 F2,8-4D IF AF Zoom, and that is just a great
piece of glass. Takes excellent pictures. Suppose I could duplicate that
lens and use the 70-200 for the long stuff.

The 24-85 has a macro setting. However, John and Barbara Gerlach, mentioned
in one of their classes that if you have a good 200MM lens, making it into a
macro lens is easier with a diopter, so trying to kill two birds with one
stone. A dedicated macro lens is just that, and I want some flexibility.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to at least read this.

And no, I am not going to change brands and go to Cannon, and no I don't
care about Full Frame sensor now. I need to improve in my photography first
and the better equipment will come later. The D200 is nice, but way more
camera than I can use. Plus I want to see how it evolves down the road for
a year or so first. Thom Hogan and Dpreview reviews are good, but there are
enough small things I don't want to spend the money now.

Sincerely,

Old Man River

Old March 25th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I have the 24-120 and covet the 70-200 f/2.8.

The 24-120 is surprisingly sharp sometimes:
http://faczen.smugmug.com/gallery/12...58516768/Large
http://faczen.smugmug.com/gallery/12...58523017/Large

It's amazing what you can do with the VR (handheld)
http://faczen.smugmug.com/gallery/12...60720529/Large
http://faczen.smugmug.com/gallery/12...58541162/Large

That said, I've heard of people complaining that they've gotten a soft
one

Glenn
Photo gallery at http://faczen.smugmug.com

Old March 25th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Old Man River wrote:
24-120MM F3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Lens VERSUS the
70-200 MM F 2.8 G ED-IF AF-s VR Zoom Lens

I currently have the D-70S and the Kit Lens. In addition I have the
80-400MM Zoom VR lens. It's ok, and I took some great pictures with it. I
want something in the middle, or I will get rid of the 80-400 and use the
70-200 Instead.

Was wondering if anyone has and uses the 24-220 lens mentioned above? I
want to purchase a Diopter to use if for macro photography and based on the
review at http://www.naturfotograf.com he does not think it's as good a lens
as the 70-200 VR.

They are very different ranges & different quality. I'm not sure if the
24-120 would be better than the kit lens in it's range, it's not as wide
& slower f/stop. Certainly the 70-200 would be better than the 80-400 in
it's range.

I am asking for your personal experiences and how you have used the lens
(24-120) what issues you have had to overcome and what you did.

The lens sells for around 510.00 US at D and H. Looked on e-bay and could
not find one there.

My girlfriend uses the 24-85 F2,8-4D IF AF Zoom, and that is just a great
piece of glass. Takes excellent pictures. Suppose I could duplicate that
lens and use the 70-200 for the long stuff.

The 24-85 has a macro setting. However, John and Barbara Gerlach, mentioned
in one of their classes that if you have a good 200MM lens, making it into a
macro lens is easier with a diopter, so trying to kill two birds with one
stone. A dedicated macro lens is just that, and I want some flexibility.

A dedicated macro is more flexible as it can focus to infinity also. A
'diopter' setup is akward, only working within a few feet range and some
compromise in image quality. I've got a 70-200 VR with a screw-on +2
diopter closeup lens and it is nice but inconvenient. The only good one
available for the 70-200 is a 2-element Canon & it is not cheap. It is
akward to use, I need to keep screwing it on & off for different
conditions. But it is nifty to have 200mm stabilized macro!

The 70-200 VR is big & heavy.

Old March 26th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thank you for the information. I think based on some additional research,
that I am going to purchase the 70-200 sell my girlfriend the 80-400 for her
N80 and (she will also buy the D70S later when I move up) and down the road
a piece will purchase the same lens she has for my camera. It has the macro
feature but much better appture at 2.8. I don't like the kit lens, but it's
got good glass, it's just does not have the macro feature. I am going to
set up a humming bird feeder and try to take pictures of them so will need
the macro part.

Old Man River.

Canon Rebel XT zoom lens recommendations, please All Things Mopar Digital Photography 37 February 11th 06 07:28 PM
Another Zoom thread.... Xman Digital Photography 18 May 4th 05 11:14 PM
Lenses for D70 Digital Photography 3 January 20th 05 05:01 PM
Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 09:58 AM
swing lens cameras and focussing distance RolandRB Medium Format Photography Equipment 30 June 21st 04 05:12 AM