"almost DSLR"

Old November 27th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default "almost DSLR"

I bought a Dimage 7Hi when it was first introduced and inspite of some
problems loved the feel of it, the quality of the picts, etc.

Now that I am having the "visiting hours" for the camera I am looking for a
new one. I have been out of the market since I bought the 7Hi and have
begun researching them. (I come from the Nixon 2000 SLR era). I thought a
DSLR would be the next logical step since the prices have come down a great
deal since my last purchase.

To my suprise the DSLR requires an expensive lens (other than the "kit"
lens) to have the same results as the 7Hi. Or at least that is my
understanding. If I am incorrect, please explain:

Otherwise I am going back to the "almost DSLR", therefore I am looking for
suggestions for something similar to the 7HI.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

jem

Old November 27th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"jem" wrote in message
I bought a Dimage 7Hi when it was first introduced and inspite of some
problems loved the feel of it, the quality of the picts, etc.

Now that I am having the "visiting hours" for the camera I am looking for
a new one. I have been out of the market since I bought the 7Hi and have
begun researching them. (I come from the Nixon 2000 SLR era). I thought
a DSLR would be the next logical step since the prices have come down a
great deal since my last purchase.

To my suprise the DSLR requires an expensive lens (other than the "kit"
lens) to have the same results as the 7Hi. Or at least that is my
understanding. If I am incorrect, please explain:

Otherwise I am going back to the "almost DSLR", therefore I am looking for
suggestions for something similar to the 7HI.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

jem

The Canon Pro 1 has the L series lens and might fit the bill.
Dave Cohen

Old November 27th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:42:11 -0500, "jem" wrote:

I bought a Dimage 7Hi when it was first introduced and inspite of some
problems loved the feel of it, the quality of the picts, etc.

Now that I am having the "visiting hours" for the camera I am looking for a
new one. I have been out of the market since I bought the 7Hi and have
begun researching them. (I come from the Nixon 2000 SLR era). I thought a
DSLR would be the next logical step since the prices have come down a great
deal since my last purchase.

To my suprise the DSLR requires an expensive lens (other than the "kit"
lens) to have the same results as the 7Hi. Or at least that is my
understanding. If I am incorrect, please explain:

When you buy better than "consumer" grade, you very often must "spec"
(or "specify") how you want it delivered or set up.
Custom homes, two-ton trucks, home theaters are just a few examples.
(D)SLRs are the same; it's up to you to sret them up the way you want.
The upside is that you get a product that much more closely fits your
needs than an off-the-shelf one-size-fits-all product.
The downside is that this co$t$.
Yopu pay your money, and you make your choice.

If, indeed, all you want is that one lens, buy the fixed lens model;
that would seem to be the best choice for you.
But, if you can see a need (want?) for another lens in the future,
buying the DSLR might be the better choice.
And then, you will also need to consider the other advantages of the
DSLR; better low-light images, for example.
Choices, choices. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old November 27th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

[...]

Grab a Nikon 8800 before they are all gone. The days of solidly built
and optically excellent prosumers may be waning. While Sony has
released the R1 to general acclaim, it is not in the same league as
the Nikon when it comes to construction quality.
-Rich
Old November 27th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"jem" wrote in message

Otherwise I am going back to the "almost DSLR", therefore I am looking for
suggestions for something similar to the 7HI.

"almost DSLR" is rather like "almost pregnant".
Jim

Old November 27th 05, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

jem wrote:
I bought a Dimage 7Hi when it was first introduced and inspite of some
problems loved the feel of it, the quality of the picts, etc.

Now that I am having the "visiting hours" for the camera I am looking for a
new one. I have been out of the market since I bought the 7Hi and have
begun researching them. (I come from the Nixon 2000 SLR era). I thought a
DSLR would be the next logical step since the prices have come down a great
deal since my last purchase.

To my suprise the DSLR requires an expensive lens (other than the "kit"
lens) to have the same results as the 7Hi. Or at least that is my
understanding. If I am incorrect, please explain:

Otherwise I am going back to the "almost DSLR", therefore I am looking for
suggestions for something similar to the 7HI.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

jem

Hi Jem

you may want to look at the Fuji s9000/s9500

Take a look at my photos taken with it on my page.

Warning quite large files for dial up.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html

Here are a couple of samples.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/thebee.jpg
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/hangingout.jpg

--
Sel ........

http://sel.enternet.co.nz/weathersat.html
Old November 27th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

jem wrote:
Thanks guys, you have been most helpful.

I don't think I need a DSLR. Something similar towhat I had will
suffice.
jem

Good decision. While some of the "kit" lenses are really fine lenses,
you have not expressed any need that would call for a SLR. Save your money
for a nice trip. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old November 28th 05, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

jem wrote:

To my suprise the DSLR requires an expensive lens (other than the "kit"
lens) to have the same results as the 7Hi. Or at least that is my
understanding. If I am incorrect, please explain:

The olympus kit lenses are quite good and I've read nikons are OK as well.
But yes the canon kit lens is a pretty poor performer.
--

Stacey