Ilford Galerie FB Digital

Old December 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

Default Ilford Galerie FB Digital

December 13, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

According to the info at
http://www.imaginginfo.com/article/a...tion=6&id=1846

Galerie FB Digital is a black and white fiber
based paper as we are used to seeing, but
made for Lambda- and LightJet-type exposures,
from digital files.

.... I just can't resist ... what will it look
like exposed under an enlarger and processed
by hand in the usual developers? How will it
take to selenium toner? How about gold toner?
Can I get a Warmtone result?

I do like the weight they specify: 315gsm
(grams per square meter) fiber base baryta
paper.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old December 13th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

December 13, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Galerie FB Digital is a black and white fiber
based paper made for Lambda- and LightJet
exposures from digital files.

... I just can't resist ... what will it look
like exposed under an enlarger and processed
by hand in the usual developers?

I imagine the FB is close to the RC version of the paper:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1450482628.pdf

states it is panchromatic, grade 3, and comes in rolls.

The emulsion seems to be dye-coupled at blue, green
and red wavelengths. Ilford uses a triple-emulsion for
their multi-grade papers so to use the same silver
emulsion with three dye-couplers would be compatable with
their existing process.

I suppose it could be used as a replacement for Panalure.

My guess is it looks like Ilford graded FB.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Darkroom Automation

Old December 13th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote:

Galerie FB Digital is a black and white fiber
based paper as we are used to seeing, but
made for Lambda- and LightJet-type exposures,
from digital files.

... I just can't resist ... what will it look
like exposed under an enlarger and processed
by hand in the usual developers? How will it
take to selenium toner? How about gold toner?
Can I get a Warmtone result?

Here is something scary that you may not know: the drivers for the
high-end Epson printers -- with the default Epson inkset that has
three blacks and four color inks -- have an image-tone adjustment
setting that can, in fact, produce pretty much dead-on reproductions
of the image tone of popular black and white silver-based materials.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
Old December 13th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message
December 13, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

According to the info at
http://www.imaginginfo.com/article/a...tion=6&id=1846

/snip/

well I'll be dipped! And here I thought that Ilford had gone bottom up!
Good to see that they are still around...and that my favorite Ilford papers
and that old standby - Bromophen - are still available!

hmmm...wonder how Ilford is going to counter the "if you get this printer,
you *have* to use *this* ink and *this* paper for good results" bit. This
captive consumer marketing ploy is going to be difficult to address on the
part of third party manufacturers of inks and papers.

Old December 13th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

hmmm...wonder how Ilford is going to counter the "if you get this printer,
you *have* to use *this* ink and *this* paper for good results" bit.

Uh. They're not. The paper in question is a _light sensitive_ paper for
printing in LightJet and Lambda printers, which paint the image onto the
paper using lasers.

Old December 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

A little off topic to the original post but Ilford has the
profiles for their papers published on their website. The
stuff in the yellow packages (from Rochester) does not have
any profiles available, so I stopped using yellow box and
use Ilford.
darkroommike

Old December 14th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

[...]

Let us know if you can experiment with this stuff or its
RC equivalent for conventional printing. I suspect it may be
too contrasty for B&W negatives but maybe will work for
printing from color negatives. The data sheet for the RC
paper indicates its contrast is about equal to Grade-4.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 14th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What do you mean by dye coupled? This is not a
chromogenic paper. The data sheet for the RC version states
that the constast is equivalent to a standard Grade-4. Of
course, this is no limit for digital printing since the
contrast is controlled digitally.
Unfortunately for experimentation both papers are
available only in long rolls. It might well be a replacement
for Panalure for getting decent prints directly from color
negatives but the color sensitivity is optimised for laser
printers and not color negatives so there will likely be
some tone distortion.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 14th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Richard Knoppow wrote:
wrote in message
The emulsion seems to be dye-coupled at blue, green
and red wavelengths.

What do you mean by dye coupled? This is not a
chromogenic paper.

Wrong wording ... "color sensitized"