Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

Old October 22nd 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/22/2017 1:59 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Volvo? The Chinese brand owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group? Yeah,
I've heard they're pretty good cars, too. Owned one back when Volvo was
a Swedish company. Liked it quite a bit.

International ownership is not surprising. One of my former clients was
a Swiss company, owned by a German family. It was incorporated in
Switzerland because many of their contracts were required to be
notarized. The notary fees were considerably less expensive in Zug, than
in Germany.

The Swiss ain't at all as innocent and peaceful as they pretend to be.
Besides having a military presence in the Vatican, they are after all
Calvinists they have more or less taken over their truly peaceful
neighbor Liechtenstein under the pretense of having several mutual and
voluntary unions with it. Besides economic and diplomatic also military.
They claim to defend them! So the question is whether the Swiss are
ruthless aggressors in the middle of the continent or just hypocrites
pretending to be neutral It's not like we can have a Geneva convention
on these issues...

http://www.encyclopedia.com/places/g...-central-europ
e/austria-political-geography/liechtenstein
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

[...]

pretending to be neutral It's not like we can have a Geneva conference

Old October 22nd 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/22/2017 10:22 AM, Mayayana wrote:

An analogy would be streaming. There's really
no such thing as streaming. You download a video
and software plays it. In most cases the software
can start playing before it's fully downloaded. But
it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.

Playing a file while it's being "downloaded" is called "streaming".
Streaming does not require that the entire file be downloaded at any
point. For example, devices that lack the storage capacity to retain a
feature-length HD or 4k movie can still present those movies in their
entirety. The only thing that is "local" is the amount of the data in
the device's buffer, which is typically only a few seconds. "Streaming"
is not new, and there certainly are web sites that stream A/V media. Try
Netflix or Hulu sometime.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 22nd 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| That possibility is exactly why I am experimenting with other stand
| alone editing apps. If that happens, at this point any positive
| statement either way is speculative, I want to keep my options open.

I don't think there's much question for someone using
Windows: Paint Shop Pro. The Ultimate version is $100
and comes with RAW support. (Aftershot Pro.) Less thatn
the cost of 1 year of Photoshop. I got it on sale at Staples
for something like $50. It also takes PS plugins. And they
often package extras. Mine came with Athentech Perfectly
Clear, which sells for $100 itself.
(Though I have to admit, that looks like a gimmicky product
to me and I've never actually used it. It seems to be a
sort of for-dummies plug-in kit.)

This discussion prompted me to try GIMP again. Not
too bad, but quirky. Limited. No RAW support. Weird
stuff like no tool for drawing shapes. Though people who
*only* edit photos probably don't care much about
drawing tools.

Photoline -- link posted by android -- is not bad. It
also has at least some RAW support. But it's quirky,
not optimized for Windows, and not very impressive
given that it costs about $70. It might be an option for
people on Macs, however, since they have a more
limited selection to choose from.

There's a lot of stuff out there that has some
functionality but doesn't quite work. I just tried
RawTherapee out of curiosity. It seems to work
OK, but there's no menu at all. Just opening and
closing files is a challenge. There seems to be no
undo function. Like so much open source software,
it's a lot of sophisticated functionality in a broken
UI.

Old October 22nd 17, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Neil" wrote

| An analogy would be streaming. There's really
| no such thing as streaming. You download a video
| and software plays it. In most cases the software
| can start playing before it's fully downloaded. But
| it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
| access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
|
| Playing a file while it's being "downloaded" is called "streaming".
| Streaming does not require that the entire file be downloaded at any
| point. For example, devices that lack the storage capacity to retain a
| feature-length HD or 4k movie can still present those movies in their
| entirety. The only thing that is "local" is the amount of the data in
| the device's buffer, which is typically only a few seconds.

Whatever you watch is local. You're just repeating
what I said from a different angle.

The point is that these methods have been used to
make people think they're receiving a transmission when
they're actually receiving a file. Streaming makes it easier
to start viewing quickly, but it's also part of a system to
prevent people accessing the file they're downloading.

That relates to the issue of so-called "web based"
software. The trend toward regarding the Internet as
a broadcast medium dovetails with the trend toward
rental software. If they make you think you're getting
it online they can more easily defend the rental model.
But in the end it's really just a sleight of hand.

Old October 22nd 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, Mayayana wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Since when do people on Macs have a more limited selection to choose
from,unless you mean because PSP is a Windows only thing?

Start with the Adobe stuff, then for starters there are these to choose from,
all of which include RAW processors.
When it comes to Mac software you do not seem to be too well informed:

On1 Photo RAW
https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/

AlienSkin ExposureX3
https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/

Luminar
https://macphun.com/luminar

Pixelmator
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

Affinity Photo
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Pictorial
https://www.picktorial.com

....and then there is RAW Power app which installs as an extension for macOS
Photos.
https://gentlemencoders.com

There's a lot of stuff out there that has some
functionality but doesn't quite work. I just tried
RawTherapee out of curiosity. It seems to work
OK, but there's no menu at all. Just opening and
closing files is a challenge. There seems to be no
undo function. Like so much open source software,
it's a lot of sophisticated functionality in a broken
UI.

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| That possibility is exactly why I am experimenting with other stand
| alone editing apps. If that happens, at this point any positive
| statement either way is speculative, I want to keep my options open.

I don't think there's much question for someone using
Windows: Paint Shop Pro. The Ultimate version is $100
and comes with RAW support. (Aftershot Pro.) Less thatn
the cost of 1 year of Photoshop.

that's twice the price of photoshop elements, which is typically $50ish
street price.

it's only slightly less than a year of adobe's photography plan, which
includes *both* photoshop and lightroom.

I got it on sale at Staples
for something like $50.

so it's not actually $100, and about the same as photoshop elements.

It also takes PS plugins.

only some of them.

And they
often package extras. Mine came with Athentech Perfectly
Clear, which sells for $100 itself.
(Though I have to admit, that looks like a gimmicky product
to me and I've never actually used it.

if you've never used it, then the packaged extras are of no benefit.

It seems to be a
sort of for-dummies plug-in kit.)

then it's perfect for you.

This discussion prompted me to try GIMP again. Not
too bad, but quirky. Limited. No RAW support.

the gimp has raw support via ufraw. the downside is that ufraw does not
produce the best results and is also slow and limited in functionality.

there's a very good reason why adobe camera raw is considered to be
among the best in the biz.

Weird
stuff like no tool for drawing shapes. Though people who
*only* edit photos probably don't care much about
drawing tools.

user error, but you are correct. drawing shapes is not a priority for
photo retouching.

if you want to draw shapes, photoshop is the wrong choice (although it
does do that).

Photoline -- link posted by android -- is not bad. It
also has at least some RAW support. But it's quirky,
not optimized for Windows, and not very impressive
given that it costs about $70. It might be an option for
people on Macs, however, since they have a more
limited selection to choose from.

nonsense. mac users have the widest choice of software. they can run
all mac, windows and unix software natively and at the same time.

There's a lot of stuff out there that has some
functionality but doesn't quite work. I just tried
RawTherapee out of curiosity. It seems to work
OK, but there's no menu at all. Just opening and
closing files is a challenge.

user error.

There seems to be no
undo function. Like so much open source software,
it's a lot of sophisticated functionality in a broken
UI.

that part is mostly true. rarely is the ui any good and many times the
'sophisticated functionality' is buggy, but because it's free, there's
little to no motivation to fix anything. ask for a refund.
Old October 22nd 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| An analogy would be streaming. There's really
| no such thing as streaming. You download a video
| and software plays it. In most cases the software
| can start playing before it's fully downloaded. But
| it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
| access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
|
| Playing a file while it's being "downloaded" is called "streaming".
| Streaming does not require that the entire file be downloaded at any
| point. For example, devices that lack the storage capacity to retain a
| feature-length HD or 4k movie can still present those movies in their
| entirety. The only thing that is "local" is the amount of the data in
| the device's buffer, which is typically only a few seconds.

Whatever you watch is local. You're just repeating
what I said from a different angle.

nope.

The point is that these methods have been used to
make people think they're receiving a transmission when
they're actually receiving a file. Streaming makes it easier
to start viewing quickly, but it's also part of a system to
prevent people accessing the file they're downloading.

they aren't receiving a file.

they're receiving a data stream, while likely is using a different
protocol than what downloading a file would use.

Old October 22nd 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

...It might be an option for
people on Macs, however, since they have a more
limited selection to choose from.

Since when do people on Macs have a more limited selection to choose
from,

they don't. they have the widest selection of any platform.

unless you mean because PSP is a Windows only thing?

psp runs just fine on macs. not that anyone would want to.
Old October 22nd 17, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

https://gentlemencoders.comhttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/raw-power/id1157116444

I guess I should have mentioned that On1, Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, and
Luminar also install as macOS Photos extensions.

Savageduck