Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

Old October 22nd 17, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC. In other areas Classic usually mean that this is
product is on the way out. The latest Volvo 240, the most classic Volvo
series ever second as symbol for the make only to the P1800 was called
just that and not Dl, GlT or something...

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud? Would you pay
extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed to host
Adobe products locally? How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 21, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC.

Yup!

In other areas Classic usually mean that this is product is on the way out.

That is speculative projection on your part.

The latest Volvo 240, the most classic Volvo
series ever second as symbol for the make only to the P1800 was called
just that and not Dl, GlT or something...

You have a web based Volvo 240?

I have a non-web based Mercedes E350.

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud?

Some might, I haven’t, but who knows what the future will bring.

I store, and maintain my image files locally, and I have a redundant
backup/archive protocol.
I use some of the 20GB CC storage, and I also use the Apple iCloud Drive.
Some day I might expand my CC storage. So for now my entire asset library is
primarily local. My workflow is local, both Lightroom Classic & Photoshop CC
are downloaded and installed locally and do not need to be online to
function.

Would you pay extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed to host
Adobe products locally?

What do you mean by “host Adobe products locally”?

How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That is what the new Lightroom CC is all about, and Photoshop Fix& Photoshop
Mix fill the mobile/web niche. However, with the release of new Lightroom CC
(Mobile & desktop/laptop), image files are synced and available to new
Photoshop CC 2018.

Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

For me, I am probably not going to be a Lightroom CC (desktop) user, and will
stick with Lightroom Classic CC andPhotoshop CC 2018.

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 00:21:44 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 21, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

Old October 22nd 17, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 21, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC.

Yup!

In other areas Classic usually mean that this is product is on the way out.

That is speculative projection on your part.

The latest Volvo 240, the most classic Volvo
series ever second as symbol for the make only to the P1800 was called
just that and not Dl, GlT or something...

You have a web based Volvo 240?

Newer owned a Volvo. My car instructor had a double command 240.

I have a non-web based Mercedes E350.

I "inherited" a MB 200 Limousine. Had it for a few years. Nice when it
started... Didn't like the damp and the cold weather it frequently was
exposed to. The engine had good torque for it's size hand the handling
superb for a rear wheel drive even in winter. It was way better than the
ten years junior Beemer 320 my mom replaced it with, in all respects.
This was in the late 70-ties and early 80-ties, of course.

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud?

Some might, I haven’t, but who knows what the future will bring.

I store, and maintain my image files locally, and I have a redundant
backup/archive protocol.
I use some of the 20GB CC storage, and I also use the Apple iCloud Drive.
Some day I might expand my CC storage. So for now my entire asset library is
primarily local. My workflow is local, both Lightroom Classic & Photoshop CC
are downloaded and installed locally and do not need to be online to
function.

Would you pay extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed
to host
Adobe products locally?

What do you mean by “host Adobe products locally”?

Using your own computer as client/server. Are you this dense naturally
or acting on someone else's behalf???

How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That is what the new Lightroom CC is all about, and Photoshop Fix& Photoshop
Mix fill the mobile/web niche. However, with the release of new Lightroom CC
(Mobile & desktop/laptop), image files are synced and available to new
Photoshop CC 2018.

Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

You don't need web access to use it.

For me, I am probably not going to be a Lightroom CC (desktop) user, and will
stick with Lightroom Classic CC andPhotoshop CC 2018.

I'm a Adobe CC subscriber because of the PS editor and if that will be
an add on service then I will reevaluate if not before.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 21, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

[...]

This is my fourth Mercedes, a 560SEL, 600S, and two E350s (including my
current car). I my years of car ownership I have owned an early 70’s BMW
520, which was an 1800cc inline four, with a four speed manual gearbox. It
performed surprisingly well in all weather, and on all sorts of roads.

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud?

Some might, I haven’t, but who knows what the future will bring.

I store, and maintain my image files locally, and I have a redundant
backup/archive protocol.
I use some of the 20GB CC storage, and I also use the Apple iCloud Drive.
Some day I might expand my CC storage. So for now my entire asset library is
primarily local. My workflow is local, both Lightroom Classic & Photoshop CC
are downloaded and installed locally and do not need to be online to
function.

Would you pay extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed
to host Adobe products locally?

What do you mean by “host Adobe products locally”?

Using your own computer as client/server. Are you this dense naturally
or acting on someone else's behalf???

I am just trying to see where your head is leading you.

How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That is what the new Lightroom CC is all about, and Photoshop Fix&
Photoshop Mix fill the mobile/web niche. However, with the release of new Lightroom CC
(Mobile & desktop/laptop), image files are synced and available to new
Photoshop CC 2018.

Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

You don't need web access to use it.

No kidding. However, Adobe considers PS CC one of the web apps.

For me, I am probably not going to be a Lightroom CC (desktop) user, and
will stick with Lightroom Classic CC andPhotoshop CC 2018.

I'm a Adobe CC subscriber because of the PS editor and if that will be
an add on service then I will reevaluate if not before.

I assume that you are an Adobe CC Photography Plan subscriber, not a single
app subscriber, so you have Lightroom Classic CC, and like me, you probably
don’t have a need for tyhe new Lightroom CC.

There does not seem to be any plan to remove Photoshop CC 2018 from that
plan, or degrade it in any way. I have been an Adobe CC Photography Plan
subscriber since September 2014. Before that I have bought PS CS, and a bunch
of upgrades. The same goes for LR which I have used since the first Beta.

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 22, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 21, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC.

Yup!

In other areas Classic usually mean that this is product is on the way
out.

That is speculative projection on your part.

[---]

[...]

Nope... Whom you are speaking is no mystery for those that reads this
article to the last line.

How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That is what the new Lightroom CC is all about, and Photoshop Fix&
Photoshop Mix fill the mobile/web niche. However, with the release of new
Lightroom CC
(Mobile & desktop/laptop), image files are synced and available to new
Photoshop CC 2018.

Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web
based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

You don't need web access to use it.

No kidding. However, Adobe considers PS CC one of the web apps.

You're kidding. It's not their prerogative to define that. A web based
application have more vital parts than license authentication and
perhaps some opt in content storage/browsing there...

For me, I am probably not going to be a Lightroom CC (desktop) user, and
will stick with Lightroom Classic CC andPhotoshop CC 2018.

I'm a Adobe CC subscriber because of the PS editor and if that will be
an add on service then I will reevaluate if not before.

I assume that you are an Adobe CC Photography Plan subscriber, not a single
app subscriber, so you have Lightroom Classic CC, and like me, you probably
don’t have a need for tyhe new Lightroom CC.

There does not seem to be any plan to remove Photoshop CC 2018 from that
plan, or degrade it in any way.

Some folks on the interwebs seem to have gotten the impression that
Lightroom would be available and upgrade with a standalone perpetual
license for a very long time.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"android" wrote

| You don't need web access to use it.
|
| No kidding. However, Adobe considers PS CC one of the web apps.
|
| You're kidding. It's not their prerogative to define that. A web based
| application have more vital parts than license authentication and
| perhaps some opt in content storage/browsing there...

They did define it. The essence of it is not
in terms of where the functionality happens
but in your control over it. Even if it goes all
web-based, what would that mean? Something
like resizing an image would still probably happen
on your machine. In any case, a copy of the resized
image would have to be on your machine for you
to see it. Does it matter whether you installed a
software program or whether the website
downloads a component and runs it via webpage
script when you resize an image? The critical point
would be how much access/control you have over
the whole thing.

An analogy would be streaming. There's really
no such thing as streaming. You download a video
and software plays it. In most cases the software
can start playing before it's fully downloaded. But
it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
But if you watch a movie and the source goes
to great lengths to prevent you from saving or
directly accessing the movie file, then it appears
to be broadcast, and for all practical purposes it
is broadcast. Most people believe they are streaming
a broadcast when they watch something like a
Youtube video. They go back again, and watch more
ads, if they want to see the video again, unaware
that they already downloaded the MP4 file the first
time and could have kept it.

People have been led to think they visit webpages
and stream movies. That's not actually possible. It's
all in how downloaded files are handled.

So the Web version is, indeed, a Web version insofar
as you have to connect and repeatedly get authorized
to use it. For those who don't know enough to store
copies of images locally the whole thing is effectively
online, even though the image editing happens on your
computer. It's all in the crippling "features" that
Adobe introduces, not in how the software works.

When it gets to the point of "full thin client" -
when we have computers with no local storage or
no realistic access to that storage (something like what
cellphones are now) - then it may be more *really* online
than it is now. But that's splitting hairs.

It was never about the software actually being online.
It's about how they can control your use of the software,
forcing you to pay rental fees, in order to have a steady
income stream without being under pressure to come out
with a must-have update every 6 months.

Whether you drive a Volvo or a Mercedes, companies like
Adobe, Apple and Microsoft are switching you over to a
taxi service. They're like junkies, addicted to extreme
profits from the heyday of PCs. Now they have to figure
out how to keep the cash stream coming. Ads. Rental.
Planned obsolescence. They'll do whatever it takes and
right now they're in the process of working out the details
of their strategies. But they need to cripple your control
in order to make it work. If people accept rental they'll
do it. If people accept ads in software they'll do it. So far
there's little resistance to either strategy. There are only
people like you saving face by blustering that Adobe doesn't
have the right to define whether their software is web-based.
You're paying the rent and agreeing to let them cripple
the product so that it has to periodically get re-authorized
online. That's the web-based part. And it's very real.

Old October 22nd 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

An analogy would be streaming. There's really
no such thing as streaming.

wrong.

You download a video
and software plays it. In most cases the software
can start playing before it's fully downloaded.

all cases. that's what streaming means.

But
it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.

given that definition, to hear a song on the radio, it must be stored
in the radio. to watch a tv show, it must be stored in the tv.

since that's clearly bull****, your claim is false.

But if you watch a movie and the source goes
to great lengths to prevent you from saving or
directly accessing the movie file, then it appears
to be broadcast, and for all practical purposes it
is broadcast. Most people believe they are streaming
a broadcast when they watch something like a
Youtube video. They go back again, and watch more

or they skip ahead.

why do you assume everyone is stupid?

if they want to see the video again, unaware
that they already downloaded the MP4 file the first
time and could have kept it.

most youtube videos aren't worth keeping, but for those that are, it's
trivial to save it.

People have been led to think they visit webpages
and stream movies. That's not actually possible. It's
all in how downloaded files are handled.

of course it's possible.
Old October 22nd 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| But
| it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
| access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
|
| given that definition, to hear a song on the radio, it must be stored
| in the radio. to watch a tv show, it must be stored in the tv.

They're very different things. TV and radio are
signals received over the air, or through a cable
in some cases. The device interprets the signals
in real time, converting them to audio and/or
video.

The Internet doesn't work that way. You
download binary files. When you go to a webpage
your browser sends a message to a server to ask
for the HTML. The server sends that file. From the
HTML file, the browser finds what else it needs to
make the page: CSS files, images, script files, etc.
From all that it assembles a visual layout in the
browser window. (Try saving a webpage and see
what you get.)

Similarly with video or audio. Youtube videos *seem*
to be broadcast, but if you have the right browser
extension you can just download the video as a file
without ever loading it in a webpage. You can do
that because that's all it ever was. You've been tricked,
very systematically, into thinking you're receiving a
broadcast.

The idea of web-based software is the same. There's
no communication of anything like radio waves between
your computer and the so-called web-based software.
It runs on your computer. In cases where something is
server-side, like a photo site that resizes your images,
they may have software to resize on their end. But the
whole thing still works the same way: You upload a
binary file, like a JPG. They resize it and send you back
a binary file. Your browser then displays that file in the
browser window. Or the process might use script in the
browser to do it on your side. You're never directly
interacting with the website server. It's only short
messages that allow exchange of digital files back and
forth.

That's why Adobe and others need to cripple your
system. Youtube obfuscates the MP4 file path in
order to make you think you're viewing a broadcast.
Adobe cripples the software and designs their
presentation to make you think you're working at
least partially online, and that the online shift is somehow
better or more modern. Or at any rate inevitable.
But it's not. It's an awkward process that requires
a great deal of computing power and bandwidth.
This scam is only now technically possible.

Since most people don't actually understand the
mechanics of it all, the broadcast paradigm is believed.
That allows them to charge rent or show ads every
time you access the product, whether it's PS or a
Lady Gaga video.

| Most people believe they are streaming
| a broadcast when they watch something like a
| Youtube video. They go back again, and watch more
|
| why do you assume everyone is stupid?

Not stupid. Ignorant. Just as you didn't understand,
in your response above, that the Internet is not
broadcast like TV, despite having just read my
explanation. I told you exactly how it works and
you said that must be "bull****" because TV shows
are not stored in the TV. The end product we see
from websites makes the Internet seem like a
broadcast. We talk about visiting websites or surfing
the Web. But it's all just an exchange of files.

I post this stuff so that people can make informed
decisions. It happens to be a topic I know about.
Most people don't. I may not be able to stop the shift
to rental software, but I can at least help to inform
people about it, so that they can make their own
informed decisions. I don't talk about things that
I don't know about. (Hint, hint.

Old October 22nd 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

"android" wrote

| You don't need web access to use it.
|
| No kidding. However, Adobe considers PS CC one of the web apps.
|
| You're kidding. It's not their prerogative to define that. A web based
| application have more vital parts than license authentication and
| perhaps some opt in content storage/browsing there...

They did define it. The essence of it is not
in terms of where the functionality happens
but in your control over it.

No they, Adobe do not get to do that. A web based app lives on the web
and those mentioned here, Adobe PS CC and LR Classic CC do not. They
have some functionality related to Adobes servers, called Creative Cloud
but are not dependent of them.
--
teleportation kills