Care for Some Gum?

Old October 13th 17, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

Default Care for Some Gum?

On 10/12/2017 10:42 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/12/2017 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/12/2017 2:44 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 11, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/12/2017 1:37 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 11, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck
* said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnpt7op5dhq5ecy/DSCF5900.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qalqaj4u4ckopx/DSCF5897.jpg
https://www.dropbox-UNINTENDED DUPLICATE.jpg

Oops! I did one twice. Here is number 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhaigx8l9hcqpin/DSCF5894.jpg

Now that's my type of image.

I thought you might like the concept.;-)

I find there is a Pollock feel to them with the random
application/placing and mix of color.

Actually Pollack is not pure random.

I know.There is just something about the *gum* patterns which
resonates.

His application is actually quite deliberate as demonstrated in the
patterns in many of his larger works. There are a few I am very
familiar with. One
which I encountered in the flesh, and have returned to wonder at many
times over the last 45+ years, is Pollock #2 at the Munson,
Williams, Procter
Art Institute in Utica, NY.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar707s2ofbuh579/DSC_0547-E.jpg

My concept of abstract is determined by the original image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/865o53pgsnwaj7j/Marshall%20Point%20Lighthouse.jpg

I always thought your concept of abstract was determined by what
you did
to the original image.

The image tells me what to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xay7e4rqiz393m/Blaack%20Eyed%20Susan.jpg?dl=0

...er, OK...

And sometimes it tells me to do this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zza0n01cabpmecj/20170205_Flowers_0056.jpg?dl=0

Again, OK!

...but WTF do any of those PeterN manipulations have to do with gum
stuck to
an alley wall, or Jackson Pollock?

They are not intended to remind someone that they were at a certain
place, or saw some object.
They are designed to create a feeling. I will be one of the first to
agree that probably more people don't like it, than do. Can't say for
sure, I never took a survey. If I like it, that's all that counts. If
someone else likes it, good. I have made someone else happy. We had a
theme competition at my CC. The theme was hands. Here is an
unmanipulated copy of my winning image, and my first runner-up,
although, obviously neither are human hands. The concept is that my
images are intended to be interpretations and representations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxhgrljhcp97mbi/Hand%20of%20Nature.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxkrww5aty119ut/Hands%20And%20a%20Foot.jpg?dl=0

Ah well, continuing the hijacked thread .. if we're into creating a
feeling, here's
one I created way back in 1969, long before Photoshop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjyxuv7h1x...Fire%2001b.jpg

I was looking to create a feeling of drama and loss.

The twist here is that the fire was that night but the photo was taken
the morning after
the fire.
--
==
Later...

Old October 13th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Old Geezerr

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:42:14 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:37:55 -0700, Old Geezerr
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:14:31 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnpt7op5dhq5ecy/DSCF5900.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qalqaj4u4ckopx/DSCF5897.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qalqaj4u4ckopx/DSCF5897.jpg

Thought that you had found on old movie theater seat.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

That last line would scan better if you substituted 'perhaps' for
'maybe'. :-)

Could be. This is the way I remember it being said.

Thanks for your comment, though.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

Peter,

I *like* what you do.

Eric Stevens

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/865o53pgsn...20Lighthouse.j
pg

I always thought your concept of abstract was determined by what you did to
the original image.

The image tells me what to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xay7e4rqiz393m/Blaack%20Eyed%20Susan.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN

So what did you do ?

He listened to his image, and zapped it with something in his tool box.

What do you feel about the fake Pollocks , do they give you the same feeling ?

What fake Pollocks?

I suggested that the gum wall shots evoked an impression of Pollock’s work.

The only Pollock in this thread is the very real “Pollock #2, 1949”.

BTW: It is huge. At 20+ ft long by 5 ft high it dominates the wall in the
gallery, and immediately overwhelms, astonishes, and impresses the viewer as
a great work of art.

Savageduck

Old October 13th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default Reason for an image, was ( Care for Some Gum?)

On 10/12/2017 11:38 PM, Ron C wrote:

snip

Ah well, continuing the hijacked thread ..

I changed the subject line. ;-)

if we're into creating a
feeling, here's
one I created way back in 1969, long before Photoshop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjyxuv7h1x...Fire%2001b.jpg

I was looking to create a feeling of drama and loss.

The twist here is that the fire was that night but the photo was taken
the morning after
the fire.

I like your vision. If the image conveys that feeling to you, from my
POV, that is the most important element. Candidly, I am not certain that
the line drawing technique used, conveyed that feeling to me.

--
PeterN

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/865o53pgsn...t%20Lighthouse
.j
pg

I always thought your concept of abstract was determined by what you did
the original image.

The image tells me what to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xay7e4rqiz393m/Blaack%20Eyed%20Susan.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN

So what did you do ?

He listened to his image, and zapped it with something in his tool box.

Using a 'heard' of filters and plug-ins no doubt.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ja...d-ifar-1060415

I suggested that the gum wall shots evoked an impression of Pollock’s
work.

I wonder why.

For me it was the random application, which was not a Pollock thing, his
application just seemed random, and the color mix.

The only Pollock in this thread is the very real “Pollock #2, 1949”.

Yes I know but don;t see the pollock in the blaack eyes susan photo, even
with teh two aa's.

There is no similarity with any Pollock there, and nobody is claiming any.
Peter has just promoted his concept of “sort of abstract” derived from
his photography. Peter already knows I am not a fan of his particular
“expressive" work.

BTW: It is huge. At 20+ ft long by 5 ft high it dominates the wall in the
gallery, and immediately overwhelms, astonishes, and impresses the viewer as
a great work of art.

Not having seen the original ... but then again does size really matter.

No. However, in the case of that particular Pollock, just as it is for “The
Night Watch”, size is an important part of the work, and the initial impact
of both is breathtaking.

I did a simialr thing at school the teacher was asking me to do some work for
my course I wasn;t very good at art in the painting sense so just got some
black paper only A3 size and started dipping a brush in my friends selection
of paints and flicked the brush causing spots to appear all over my black
paper and the kid sitting next to me, I called it the universe and passed my
art CSE but only just.

Savageduck

Old October 13th 17, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

On 10/13/2017 10:35 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/12/2017 11:38 PM, Ron C wrote:

snip

Ah well, continuing the hijacked thread ..

I changed the subject line. ;-)

*if we're into creating a
feeling, here's
one I created way back in 1969, long before Photoshop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjyxuv7h1x...Fire%2001b.jpg

I was looking to create a feeling of drama and loss.

The twist here is that the fire was that night but the photo was taken
the morning after
the fire.

I like your vision. If the image conveys that feeling to you, from my
POV, that is the most important element. Candidly, I am not certain that
the line drawing technique used, conveyed that feeling to me.

Yes, it's a YMMV thing as always with these things.

As an aside: I was studying EE at the time and had just learned about
using Kodalith for making printed circuit boards and started experimenting
with it for photographic effects.
I'll have to dig up the original negative for comparison.
~
Here's what I did for my end of summer twitter header.
Intended to evoke the feeling of things closing down.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9repn6y0t...r-Summer-1.jpg
~~
And for the heck of it, some artistic variations on forget-me-nots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo5pvh2fyo...%20%28C%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41wvvg1vw9...%20%28D%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xot9b5spj7...%20%28E%29.jpg

--
==
Later...

Old October 13th 17, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/13/2017 12:38 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

When I had my wet darkroom I used expired X-ray film for posterizatons,
and would print through Vaseline covered glass, to simulate brush
strokes. It would take hours to put brush strokes on the Vaseline, while
tracing the projected image. I still do that using Corel Painter, but I
often cheat and use the automated painting feature, and just touch up
manually.

~
Here's what I did for my end of summer twitter header.
Intended to evoke the feeling of things closing down.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9repn6y0t...r-Summer-1.jpg

Kewl. It's precisely what I was talking about when I implied that photo
art need not be realistic.

~~
And for the heck of it, some artistic variations on forget-me-nots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo5pvh2fyo...%20%28C%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41wvvg1vw9...%20%28D%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xot9b5spj7...%20%28E%29.jpg

I like the last one best. The subject is the flower grouping. To my eye
in the first two images, the green stalk and leaves on the left keep
drawing my eyes away from the flowers, because they are much brighter.

--
PeterN

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

Hijacking Snipped

Ah well, continuing the hijacked thread.

At least somebody recognised the hijacking for what it was. Thanks for that.

Savageduck