Luminar for Windows

Old August 26th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Luminar for Windows

On 8/26/2017 10:12 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Not the case. I've played around with it some more, and find no
advantage to what I already use. No reason to keep it.

The Beta version is clunky and slow. The sliders are a pain in the
ass compared to the sliders in, say, LR that can be ticked up/down
with the arrow keys or values typed in. There's a significant delay
between movement and result in the Beta. Export takes forever.

The released final version may be quite a good program for those who
don't have LR/PS, but I do so I see no need to explore further. But,
it was interesting to check it out.

BTW: Have you reported the findings from your use of the Beta to MacPhun?
That is after all the purpose of making a Beta available to the public. It is
both promotional, and a field/road test to identify and iron out issues/bugs
to be fixed before final release. It is part of the implied arrangement for
having a first peek at the app.

When I was a beta tester I was under an NDA, but did report annoyances
and bugs to the publisher. As compensation, I would receive a free copy
of the final product. I was a beta tester for both Corel and NS. I guess
things have changed.

--
PeterN
Old August 27th 17, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 8/25/2017 6:11 PM, Bill W wrote:

snip

Not for me, not even close. It is nearly crippled compared to LR. But
again, one of these days I'll grab a video card and compare everything
all over again. It's either the video card, or a PC vs Mac issue.

A few days ago I got an email from On1, apologizing for some of there
screw ups, and making the product available for about $49, until 8/31.
At that price I will give it a try.

What product are they offering for $49?

On1 Photo RAW 2017.6 upgrade from older editions: regular price $99.99
discounted to $79.99.
On1 Photo RAW 2017.6 full version: regular price $119.99, discounted to
$99.99.

On1 Resize 10.5, formerly "Genuine Fractals" is an undiscounted $79.99. It is
also included in On1 Photo RAW 2017.6.
The old One1 Effects 10.5 is currently free.

If you buy Photo RAW, remember not to ignore their video tutorials, they are
very useful, and are much better than diving in blind. Photo RAW 2017 is a
very different, but similar animal to the older On1 (OnOne) offerings as they
are presenting On1 Photo RAW 2017 as a full Adobe LR/PS replacement in
addition to its plugin functionality.

Savageduck

Old August 27th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

There are three ways I can think of that disable a Beta or trial
version of softwa

1. Expiration after a specified date that is built into the program.

or encoded into the activation key.

Still guessing.

that's not a guess.

*you're* the one who is guessing.

2. Expiration after a specified number of uses that is built into a
program.

that's not normally done for beta software, however, it is common for
trial versions of shipping apps.

3. Expiration by a "phone home" remote disablement.

possible, but given that they are using activation codes for an app
that is beta, not likely.

Luminar's offer does not specify, or even mention, an expiration
factor. Programs that do have built-in expiration always - in my
experience - specify this in the offer.

it's implied because it's beta software.

No, a reputable company - and this is a reputable company - would
state any limitations.

is that an absolute blanket statement i see???

what if i find an exception??

you're such a ****ing hypocrite.

macphun is mainly based in the ukraine (marketing is in san diego), and
reputable is the *last* thing that comes to mind.

This is why your tiny fist-pounding insistence is not convincing me.

another attack and i'm not trying to convince you or anyone else.

Reputable companies don't "imply" limitations. They tell you outright
what you're going to get and any limitations or restrictions.

then they must be reputable:

https://macphun.com/legal
Macphun Software reserves the right, with or without notice, to
restrict your use or access to the Software, in whole or in part.

Since the Beta Luminar program has been downloaded to the user's
computer, something has to be built in to disable it at a future time.

obviously.

Obviously that's a guess on your part.

it's not a guess.

for an app to expire, there *must* be something built into it that
checks. it's common sense, something you lack.

you're so incredibly clueless.
Old August 27th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Oh, I realize that. Someone erred, but you just guessed.

i did not guess nor do i guess.

what i said is based on decades of software development experience

That's what a guess is. It's a statement that you think if probably
right based on your experience, but it is not a statement based on
fact.

nope. a guess is unknown, such as a coin flip. there is no way to know
whether it will be heads or tails, although i'm sure you'll argue about
the possibility of the coin being fixed or the remote chance of an
edge.

what i said was *not* a guess.

I can *guess* that you will reply to this post. Based on my
observation of your behavior over time, you feel you must have the
last word and *always* reply to a post. I can guess that you will
always say the other person is over their head, doesn't know what they
are talking about, is arguing just to argue, and all the other
standard put-downs you predictably use...but those are guesses.

actually, you really are over your head, you have never worked in the
software industry and don't know how it works and you're arguing just
to argue. you jump at any opportunity to attack me.

I can guess you will not apologize for saying that I faked an email

just dishing back what you dish out.

even though you know it was a lie.

not possible, because by *your* own definition, i can only 'guess' at
what you did.

since i wasn't watching your every move or monitoring your computer, i
do *not* have facts about what you did or didn't do.

there *is* a non-zero chance that it's fake, particularly since it's
*very* easy to do.

like i said, dishing it right back.
Old August 27th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

When I was a beta tester I was under an NDA, but did report annoyances
and bugs to the publisher. As compensation, I would receive a free copy
of the final product. I was a beta tester for both Corel and NS. I guess
things have changed.

it's a public beta. an nda for a public beta does not make sense.
Old August 27th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/26/2017 7:06 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

2017.6
https://www.on1.com/promo/0817-photo2017/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7_xs6v21QIVBrbACh0dzwV5EAAYASA AEgKAJPD_BwE

--
PeterN
Old August 27th 17, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/26/2017 8:23 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

When I was a beta tester I was under an NDA, but did report annoyances
and bugs to the publisher. As compensation, I would receive a free copy
of the final product. I was a beta tester for both Corel and NS. I guess
things have changed.

it's a public beta. an nda for a public beta does not make sense.

Gee dad it's a Wurlitzer!

--
PeterN
Old August 27th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

That is a bargain, and for somebody like you, my recommendation is, buy it
NOW!
Download, and install IMMEDIATELY!

Savageduck

Old August 27th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 19:34:51 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Agreed. $49 is like free.
Old August 27th 17, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Oh, I realize that. Someone erred, but you just guessed.

i did not guess nor do i guess.

what i said is based on decades of software development experience

That's what a guess is. It's a statement that you think if probably
right based on your experience, but it is not a statement based on
fact.

nope. a guess is unknown, such as a coin flip.

Good Lord!, but you can say some stupid things. A coin flip is
chance, not a guess. You can call heads or tails, but you are not
guessing the outcome.

it's a guess. there is no way to know which way it will fall so all one
can do is guess.

A guess is a statement that is supposition or conjecture not based on
fact, and can be based on an unlimited/undefined number of outcomes.
Calling a coin toss heads or tails is choosing one of two known
possible outcomes. (Assuming that an on-edge landing is re-tossed)

there is no requirement that there is an unlimited number of outcomes.

Your own prior weaseling defenses are that you are making an "educated
guess" based on what you claim is your experience in the field.
Conjecturing.

it's a very accurate prediction based on hundreds of other companies.

nothing is absolute, so there's a very small chance that they decide to
be different and not expire it as is normally done, but that chance is
very small, small enough that it can be ignored.

You can only guess about what MacPhun will do about the Beta version
when the pay version is ready. You don't even know, for sure, there
will ever be a pay version. It's possible that MacPhun will determine
that there is not sufficient support or interest to continue the
program.

i do know for sure that there will be a paid version because they've
said so. they've even hinted at its price.

It may go the way NIK has gone...continue using what's been put out
already, but there will be no future support.

that would be a guess on your part, based on absolutely nothing.

nik is now unsupported only because google bought it and killed it.

Try again. You're losing badly.

it's not me who is losing.