Luminar for Windows

Old August 24th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Luminar for Windows

In article , Tony Cooper

don't know if my Beta version will remain free and usable when the
program is released for sale or if I would have to upgrade.

it will expire.
Old August 25th 17, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

don't know if my Beta version will remain free and usable when the
program is released for sale or if I would have to upgrade.

it will expire.

As I have long suspected, Mr Know-It-All pretends to have some sort of
inside information, but actually just guesses at things and hopes
people won't check him out.

oh no, you found an exception and couldn't stop yourself from attacking.

normally, beta versions expire. it's standard practice in the industry,
otherwise, users could scam free software.

i'm sure you've had beta apps expire.

a few seconds of searching found numerous examples:
https://www.quora.com/When-will-the-Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Beta-expire
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/11...no-new-app-to-
install
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Kno...ome-Studio-2-B
eta-version-Expired-Error
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-software-has-
expired-message-in-office-2010
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...on-of-windows-
7-beta-and-windows-7-release-candidate-rc-expir

I emailed McPhun Support and asked if my Beta version will remain
useable after the product release and received this reply:

"You can use the Beta version of Luminar for as long as you want."

except that you're conveniently neglecting to mention that the beta
version is feature limited, so while you might be able to keep using
it, you won't be getting full functionality versus those who pay for
it.

in other words, instead of it expiring, it instantly becomes obsolete.

either way, your plans to scam a free app will not work.
Old August 25th 17, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

normally, beta versions expire. it's standard practice in the industry,
otherwise, users could scam free software.

i'm sure you've had beta apps expire.

Weasel! Instead of saying "it will probably expire", you said "it
will expire". You tried to come off as an expert and failed.

given that beta apps normally expire, it's entirely reasonable to say
it will expire.

you found an exception. whop de do. you're trying to make a big deal
out of nothing.

There's no "scam" involved when a software source supplies a free
download with unlimited use. They've been doing it for years with
bundled versions.

no they don't, and the beta version will cease to be offered when the
final version ships.

I emailed McPhun Support and asked if my Beta version will remain
useable after the product release and received this reply:

"You can use the Beta version of Luminar for as long as you want."

except that you're conveniently neglecting to mention that the beta
version is feature limited, so while you might be able to keep using
it, you won't be getting full functionality versus those who pay for
it.

Why should I mention that? All I brought up was whether or not I
could retain and use the Beta.

because there are features that are *not* in the crippled beta version
versus the paid shipping version.
Old August 25th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Not the case. I've played around with it some more, and find no
advantage to what I already use. No reason to keep it.

It is a different approach, and I find where it works very well is as a
Lightroom plugin.
....but that is not the beta.

The Beta version is clunky and slow.

Perhaps that is the issue.
I have no idea where the Win edition Beta has been shorted on performance,
features, or tools when compared with the Mac edition final release
I bought the Mac final release which has been updated as recently as last
week, and I can’t say that I have found it clunky or slow. From time to
time I use some of the features when I use it as an LR plugin, just as I have
used the NIK Collection, or On1 Photo RAW.

These days I very seldom use any of the NIK stuff, but I certainly use both
Luminar and On1 Photo RAW.

The sliders are a pain in the
ass compared to the sliders in, say, LR that can be ticked up/down
with the arrow keys or values typed in. There's a significant delay
between movement and result in the Beta. Export takes forever.

In the Mac edition I can’t say that I have found export particularly slow,
and when I use it as an LR plugin export is made from LR.

The released final version may be quite a good program for those who
don't have LR/PS, but I do so I see no need to explore further. But,
it was interesting to check it out.

The benefit for those using LR/PS is using Luminar as a plugin, and having a
standalone for those other times. Mac users also gain an extension for the
Photos app (which I do not use).

Now you should give On1 Photo RAW 2017 a try. That is much faster than LR in
all respects, and it also installs as an LR/PS plugin.

Savageduck

Old August 25th 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:05:41 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

Not for me, not even close. It is nearly crippled compared to LR. But
again, one of these days I'll grab a video card and compare everything
all over again. It's either the video card, or a PC vs Mac issue.
Old August 25th 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On Aug 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Not the case. I've played around with it some more, and find no
advantage to what I already use. No reason to keep it.

It is a different approach, and I find where it works very well is as a
Lightroom plugin.
...but that is not the beta.

The Beta version is clunky and slow.

Perhaps that is the issue.
I have no idea where the Win edition Beta has been shorted on performance,
features, or tools when compared with the Mac edition final release
I bought the Mac final release which has been updated as recently as last
week, and I canÂ’t say that I have found it clunky or slow. From time to
time I use some of the features when I use it as an LR plugin, just as I have
used the NIK Collection, or On1 Photo RAW.

These days I very seldom use any of the NIK stuff, but I certainly use both
Luminar and On1 Photo RAW.

The sliders are a pain in the
ass compared to the sliders in, say, LR that can be ticked up/down
with the arrow keys or values typed in. There's a significant delay
between movement and result in the Beta. Export takes forever.

In the Mac edition I canÂ’t say that I have found export particularly slow,
and when I use it as an LR plugin export is made from LR.

The released final version may be quite a good program for those who
don't have LR/PS, but I do so I see no need to explore further. But,
it was interesting to check it out.

The benefit for those using LR/PS is using Luminar as a plugin, and having a
standalone for those other times. Mac users also gain an extension for the
Photos app (which I do not use).

Now you should give On1 Photo RAW 2017 a try. That is much faster than LR in
all respects, and it also installs as an LR/PS plugin.

Not for me, not even close. It is nearly crippled compared to LR. But
again, one of these days I'll grab a video card and compare everything
all over again. It's either the video card, or a PC vs Mac issue.

I am not in a position to make a comparison between the various
Win/MacOS software editions as I don't have a Windows machine, and I
haven't use one since I logged out at work when I retired in February
2009.
All I have is my 2010 vintage iMac which I occasionally push to its
performance limits, and I find that On1 PR is much faster than LR, on
this iMac at least.

When I execute my planned purchase of a shiny new upgrade later this
year (27-inch iMac, 5K retina, 4.2GHz quad-core i7, Radeon Pro 580, and
32GB RAM) I anticipate better all round performance from all my image
editing software, Adobe, and other stuff.

Savageduck

Old August 26th 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

normally, beta versions expire. it's standard practice in the industry,
otherwise, users could scam free software.

i'm sure you've had beta apps expire.

Weasel! Instead of saying "it will probably expire", you said "it
will expire". You tried to come off as an expert and failed.

given that beta apps normally expire, it's entirely reasonable to say
it will expire.

you found an exception. whop de do. you're trying to make a big deal
out of nothing.

All you had to do was admit to being wrong in saying it *will* expire.
But you can't admit to being wrong and go on and on trying to weasel
out of being wrong.

i'm not weaseling. normally beta versions expire. you found one that
doesn't. nothing is absolute.

you're trying to make a big deal out it and it's not working.

There's no "scam" involved when a software source supplies a free
download with unlimited use. They've been doing it for years with
bundled versions.

no they don't,

What? Wrong again. Of course software suppliers have been offering
free permanently usable versions of their product bundled with other
purchases. Many Adobe Elements users have free versions that were
bundled.

bundled != free.
Old August 26th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:01:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:13:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

don't know if my Beta version will remain free and usable when the
program is released for sale or if I would have to upgrade.

it will expire.

As I have long suspected, Mr Know-It-All pretends to have some sort of
inside information, but actually just guesses at things and hopes
people won't check him out.

oh no, you found an exception and couldn't stop yourself from attacking.

An exception to what? You made a categorical statement, not a
conditional statement.

This habit is the origin of many of nospam's arguments: he doesn't
write what he later says he means.

[...]

The Beta version is clunky and slow. The sliders are a pain in the

Old August 26th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:38:06 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 19:14:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

normally, beta versions expire. it's standard practice in the industry,
otherwise, users could scam free software.

i'm sure you've had beta apps expire.

Weasel! Instead of saying "it will probably expire", you said "it
will expire". You tried to come off as an expert and failed.

given that beta apps normally expire, it's entirely reasonable to say
it will expire.

you found an exception. whop de do. you're trying to make a big deal
out of nothing.

All you had to do was admit to being wrong in saying it *will* expire.
But you can't admit to being wrong and go on and on trying to weasel
out of being wrong.

i'm not weaseling. normally beta versions expire. you found one that
doesn't. nothing is absolute.

you're trying to make a big deal out it and it's not working.

Yeah, it worked. You've weaseled out of your *will* statement. Too
bad you can't just admit to being wrong.

nospam is never wrong. You should know that by now.

Eric Stevens