Quandary - DX or FX?

Old April 12th 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

On 11/04/2013 22:20, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:

[]
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

Yes, you can pay more and get better performance, but does your friend
need that? I find the versatility of the 10-24 mm more than justifies
its price, but others may have different priorities.
--
Cheers,
David
Old April 12th 13, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_6_]

On 12/04/2013 4:06 p.m., David Taylor wrote:
On 11/04/2013 22:20, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:

[]
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

Yes, you can pay more and get better performance, but does your friend
need that? I find the versatility of the 10-24 mm more than justifies
its price, but others may have different priorities.

I use a Sigma 10-20 on DX. It's actually pin sharp, even at widest 10mm
end it's still pretty good. But at 10mm it has a lot of moustache
pattern distortion. At 12-14mm it's at it's best. When it matters, you
need to remember to set zoom at or above 12mm, and then no correction is
generally needed.
It produces nice "sun star" flares too (if a flaw can be a feature):
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/65739526.jpg
I don't believe that there's /significantly/ better UWA zoom in DX or FX
format until you get to the Nikkor 14-24 on an FX camera. (the Sigma
8-16 looks interesting and a good sample is undoubtedly better than the
only equivalent f/l zoom for FX, the Sigma 12-24 which is optically very
weak)
I use UWA a lot - and wouldn't bother with a fixed focal length UWA
lens, except perhaps a tilt/shift.
From a compositional POV, you can't really blur out backgrounds, and
with the need to have a foreground subject, you can't "zoom with your
feet" either, so (far more than at normal focal lengths) the ability to
zoom is usually critical for composition.
Old April 12th 13, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.04.12 00:06 , David Taylor wrote:
On 11/04/2013 22:20, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:

[]
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

Yes, you can pay more and get better performance, but does your friend
need that? I find the versatility of the 10-24 mm more than justifies
its price, but others may have different priorities.

I wasn't up to date. Turns out he had already bought the Canon 14mm
f/2.8 lens. So he's covered if he goes FF as well.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old April 17th 13, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/10/2013 5:29 AM, me wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

--
PeterN
Old April 17th 13, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/10/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:00:46 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:
: On 10 Apr 2013 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Nige Danton wrote:
:
: I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
: 18-105 lens. Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a
: decade of using digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with
: D7000, but am finding the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light
: (indoors without flash) and am thinking of buying a faster lens.
:
: I have a D7000, and I've found that I can get acceptable to very good
: results up to about ISO 1600, so try shooting at a higher ISO.
:
: snip
: My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
: format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
: find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.
: snip
: Appreciate any feedback.
:
: What is the ultimate destination of the pictures? If you're printing and
: blowing up your pictures substantially, there might be some merit to an
: FX camera. If you're going mainly to screen, and not taking small crops
: out of the center of the image, DX should work fine.

Building on Joe's point ...
A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be trying
to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect of a
telephoto lens. But not so much for landscapes, where you may need the wider
view of FX.

Bob

One can alwyas shoot an fx in dx mode.

--
PeterN
Old April 17th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

Well your D300 & D800 both have it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_196.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 17th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

On 2013-04-11 14:20:28 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2013.04.11 06:30 , David Taylor wrote:
On 10/04/2013 22:03, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of

14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

The friend might care to look at the Tamron 10-24 mm zoom - quite good
for the price:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...24_3p5-5p6_n15

Passed it on but I don't thing he'll go for a zoom, and the review in
that link is not exactly praise for sharpness.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 FF does better than both the Tamron and Sigma in
the dpreview conclusion.

I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, that is a DX lens and I am more than
happy with that.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15

The distance between the I and the F is much greater than the distance
between the 9 and the 0. ;-)

--
PeterN
Old April 17th 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am
finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash)
and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

Well your D300 & D800 both have it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_196.jpg

Yup! But not all do.

--
PeterN

Old April 17th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am
finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash)
and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.

do all DSLRs have auto ISO.

Well your D300 & D800 both have it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_196.jpg

Yup! But not all do.

Most Nikon DSLRs do, and most importantly with regard to this
particular discussion the D7000 mentioned above does:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_197.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 17th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

True, but minimum shutter speeds can limit its usefulness.

--
PeterN