Camera mounted to a Telescope/Spotting Scope

Old October 21st 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Old Geezerr

Default Camera mounted to a Telescope/Spotting Scope

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 00:29:28 -0400, m-m wrote:

In article , Old Geezerr
wrote:

Has anyone used their digital camera mounted onto a telescope?

I have good results with a Nikon Fieldscope and Nikon's mount for my
DSLR for birding, or a homemade mount that I use with other digital
cameras for astrophotography or a GoPro.

Here is an example with the DSLR attached:
http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSC_1516w.jpg

And one with a smaller digital camera through the eyepiece of the
telescope:
http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSCN3653w.jpg

And a page explaining it all:
http://www.mhmyers.com/camera.html

Thanks for the links.

You showed that necessity is the mother of invention.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am
Old October 22nd 17, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Old Geezerr

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:24:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 00:14:20 UTC-4, Old Geezerr wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:42:18 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 20 October 2017 16:35:23 UTC-4, Old Geezerr wrote:
Has anyone used their digital camera mounted onto a telescope?

I'm thinking about getting a Celestron reflector scope, primarily
for shooting range spotting but also considering photographic use.

I have read that reflector type camera lenses have a tendency to
produce ghost rings under certain conditions. Any comments?

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

You need a camera adapter, a T-mount (mounts the camera to the camera adapter. If you are using a Maksutov Cassegrain, you probably won't need an adapter that accepts eyepieces (for more power) as Maks have inherently long focal lengths as it is. Faster refractors can be used at "prime" focus (just using the scope's front lens as the camera lens) but can sometimes benefit from "eyepiece projection" to increase focal lengths. "Digiscoping" or cobbling cameras to terrestrial spotting scopes isn't recommended because intermediary optics used in these scopes results in unacceptably slow photographic speeds (slower than f/11) and focal lengths that can be too long.
Below is a common t-ring (t-threaded ring and camera bayonet mounting) attached to a standard 1-1/4" slide-in (to the telescope focuser) telescope adapter.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/64464511

Thanks for the comment.

The Reflex scope I am looking at has T-Adapter threads on it.
All I need to do is to get the T-Ring for my Canon camera.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

Yes, threading the focuser barrel is a recent innovation. Just remember that because of the large aperture, scopes are susceptible to heat waves so things shot at a distance, over heated buildings, roads, can get blurred.

Yep. There's something about watching the "lake" that hovers over
a hot highway.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am
Old October 22nd 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Old Geezerr:
The Canon that I have is a Rebel T5...
The Celestron would be a 1250mm lens as the camera mounts right to
the telescope rear face via a T- ring.

That's OK for Solar System photography. If you want to do deep-sky
you're going to need a focal reducer. 1250mm is too great a focal
length for most extended objects. I made the photos on this page
http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky9.html with a refractor of
focal length 387mm. (530mm Ÿ5 with a .73x reducer = 387mm Ÿ3.65.) Such
a telescope is called an "astrograph" or "fast astrograph." It is not
suited for visual use with an eyepiece.

The Rosette image on that page was made at the native FL, 530mm Ÿ5.
Divide it out and you find that this is a 106mm refractor.
http://www.primordial-light.com/technique.html.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 22nd 17, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Old Geezerr

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:06:23 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Old Geezerr:
The Canon that I have is a Rebel T5...
The Celestron would be a 1250mm lens as the camera mounts right to
the telescope rear face via a T- ring.

That's OK for Solar System photography. If you want to do deep-sky
you're going to need a focal reducer. 1250mm is too great a focal
length for most extended objects. I made the photos on this page
http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky9.html with a refractor of
focal length 387mm. (530mm Ÿ5 with a .73x reducer = 387mm Ÿ3.65.) Such
a telescope is called an "astrograph" or "fast astrograph." It is not
suited for visual use with an eyepiece.

The Rosette image on that page was made at the native FL, 530mm Ÿ5.
Divide it out and you find that this is a 106mm refractor.
http://www.primordial-light.com/technique.html.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to discuss that with the people
at the telescope store when I go to see them. They are the only
dedicated telescope store in Tucson, Arizona.

That is some snazzy equipment that you have there.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am
Old October 22nd 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Old Geezerr:
The Canon that I have is a Rebel T5...
The Celestron would be a 1250mm lens as the camera mounts right to
the telescope rear face via a T- ring.

Davoud:
That's OK for Solar System photography. If you want to do deep-sky
you're going to need a focal reducer. 1250mm is too great a focal
length for most extended objects. I made the photos on this page
http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky9.html with a refractor of
focal length 387mm. (530mm Ÿ5 with a .73x reducer = 387mm Ÿ3.65.) Such
a telescope is called an "astrograph" or "fast astrograph." It is not
suited for visual use with an eyepiece.

The Rosette image on that page was made at the native FL, 530mm Ÿ5.
Divide it out and you find that this is a 106mm refractor.
http://www.primordial-light.com/technique.html.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to discuss that with the people
at the telescope store when I go to see them. They are the only
dedicated telescope store in Tucson, Arizona.

I forgot to give you the rest of the bad news. While one can make
acceptable deep-sky photos with a DSLR, DSLRs are not used in
Solar-System photography except possibly some lunar and solar
photography. Typically a scientific video camera like those from FLIR
https://www.ptgrey.com/usb3-vision-cameras is used. Software helps
select the best frames (many will be blurred by atmospherics) and
aligns and combines the frames into a still photo. My friend Alan
Friedman does it best http://www.avertedimagination.com/latest_1.htm.