Nikkormat FTN functional resistor ring - strip resistor material

Old August 16th 04, 07:39 PM
Pat

Default Nikkormat FTN functional resistor ring - strip resistor material

Nikkormat FTN - meter responds to shutter speed changes and had a very
inaccurate/flaky response to aperture/ASA ring changes. Meter also
responded to light level changes when the lens was not on the camera.

I've taken the "rings" apart and have found that the resistor ring for
the aperture/ASA(the one on the major black part which holds the
assembly on the camera body) was folded so much it resembled an
accordion and the contact "fingers" were bent 180 degrees so that the
surface of the ring was being scraped with the ends of the contact
"fingers". It was also broken in about 4 pieces so there was no
chance that it could be straightened. The meter responded in a
correct fashion to shutter speed changes.

I do not know exactly what this resistor strip was supposed to look
but it did not appear to be constructed like but the resistor ring
for the shutter speeds - which appears to be one long strip resistor
with several shorter strips stacked on top of each other. I read
somewhere that the resistor material being stacked was the equivalent
of have resistors in series.

push all the strips in this direction and use conductive "glue" to
bond them
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
--------
--------------
-----------------------
-----------------------------
------------------------------------------------------o
----soldered wire goes here
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
base - a non conductive clear plastic strip
This then becomes the strip resistor.
If I can get some of this strip resistor material I'd like to try to
make something that would function - accuracy would be nice -but I'd
settle for something just to see if I could get the needle moving
again and responding to changes on the aperture/ASA ring.

The obvious question would be: "Where could I buy a replacement
resistor for this camera? " but I'm afraid that's a dead end so the
logical path might be to consider making one.

Also it would be nice to know the electrical characteristics for the
material such as the resistance per mm or inch for this type of
material and where I could purchase this type of resistor material.

If this resistor was of the "step" type construction and I could get
the material I'd need to know the construction of the strip - how
long for the base layer - how long for each additional layer?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks,
Pat