Setting Camera Picture Quality

Old January 9th 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Setting Camera Picture Quality

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:03:47 -0600, DaveS wrote:

I have recently acquired a Canon 60D as a replacement for my 30D.
I have read messages here which explain that increased numbers of pixels
on a given sensor size will lead to increased noise in high ISO shots.

I'm deciding what settings to use for picture quality - RAW (18 Mp), M
RAW (10 Mp), or S RAW (4.5 Mp). The question in my mind is, can I reduce
noise at high ISO by capturing fewer pixels?

I took shots at RAW and S RAW at ISO 12,800. To me they seem to have
about the same level of noise (too much!). Can this be correct, or is my
test technique faulty?

Dave S.

The reason there is less noise in "low pixel count" sensors is the fact the
pixel site is larger, and receives more photons, and has more output for better
signal to noise ratio as well.

Once a sensor is made and installed in your camera, there is nothing you can do
about it, so shoot at the highest resolution.