Turning the new low cost Nikon D40 Digital SLR into a powerful one lens, wide angle to telephoto, 11x super-zoom camera.

Old December 7th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Turning the new low cost Nikon D40 Digital SLR into a powerful one lens, wide angle to telephoto, 11x super-zoom camera.

Now that Nikon has come out with the very compact and very affordable
Nikon D40 Digital SLR, there are a lot of EVF camera users who are
contemplating the move to the Nikon D40 Digital SLR. The base package
price is of course very reasonable and the lens being offered in the
package looks to be fairly adequate for most purposes, especially when
the fairly inexpensive AFS DX Nikkor 55-200 lens is added to the
system.

The big question is of course, what will it cost to upgrade to a longer
zoom range lens, so that it can be used as a one lens camera, just like
the EVF super-zoom cameras it is replacing for many users. As you can
see from the illustration above the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm
f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED fits the bill very nicely, but the cost of the lens
alone is nearly double the price of the camera (with the basic kit
lens).

For more of this article .........
http://dpmac.com/nikon-d40/d40superzoom.html

Old December 7th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor

wrote:
[...]

Were I to go for a DSLR, the D40 would be high on my list (light and
low-cost), and a long zoom with image-stabilisation would as well. Hence
D40 + 18-200 VR would also be my choice. What would be missing (for my
use) would be a very wide angle (perhaps I could likve with just 24mm eq.)
and a vey fast lens for low-light use (perhaps 50mm f/1.8 - but would need
to be an AF-S version).

David

Old December 7th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...

Were I to go for a DSLR, the D40 would be high on my list (light and
low-cost), and a long zoom with image-stabilisation would as well. Hence
D40 + 18-200 VR would also be my choice. What would be missing (for my
use) would be a very wide angle (perhaps I could likve with just 24mm eq.)
and a vey fast lens for low-light use (perhaps 50mm f/1.8 - but would need
to be an AF-S version).

I'm pretty sure that the 50/1.8 would not work on the d40. I think Nikon
aimed this body at a market that would fit a consumer zoom (eg 18-55, 18-70
or 18-200) and pretty much never change lenses or use primes.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old December 7th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Adrian Boliston wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...

Were I to go for a DSLR, the D40 would be high on my list (light and
low-cost), and a long zoom with image-stabilisation would as well. Hence
D40 + 18-200 VR would also be my choice. What would be missing (for my
use) would be a very wide angle (perhaps I could likve with just 24mm eq.)
and a vey fast lens for low-light use (perhaps 50mm f/1.8 - but would need
to be an AF-S version).

I'm pretty sure that the 50/1.8 would not work on the d40. I think Nikon
aimed this body at a market that would fit a consumer zoom (eg 18-55, 18-70
or 18-200) and pretty much never change lenses or use primes.

Metering will work on (Non AF-S) AF lenses, but AF won't.
Old December 8th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...

Were I to go for a DSLR, the D40 would be high on my list (light and
low-cost), and a long zoom with image-stabilisation would as well. Hence
D40 + 18-200 VR would also be my choice. What would be missing (for my
use) would be a very wide angle (perhaps I could likve with just 24mm
eq.) and a vey fast lens for low-light use (perhaps 50mm f/1.8 - but
would need to be an AF-S version).

I'm pretty sure that the 50/1.8 would not work on the d40.

The 50/1.8D will work fine on it but won't autofocus, since the body doesn't
have the "screwdriver" coupling required for that.

I think Nikon aimed this body at a market that would fit a consumer zoom
(eg 18-55, 18-70 or 18-200) and pretty much never change lenses or use
primes.

The kit lens is a prime lens, of course. You mean fixed focal length (FFL).

I'll be using my 10.5mm fisheye on my D40. That won't autofocus either, but
with that much DOF who needs it.

Neil

Old December 8th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
[ . . . ]
Were I to go for a DSLR, the D40 would be high on my list (light and
low-cost), and a long zoom with image-stabilisation would as well. Hence
D40 + 18-200 VR would also be my choice.

Nikon's new 70-300 VR looks more attractive to me and is a lot less
expensive than the 18-200. Deliveries are supposed to start this month --
I've got my order in for one.

What would be missing (for my use) would be a very wide angle

Yes indeedy. The 12-24 is a bit too pricey for me, but I'm fervently hoping
Nikon is working on getting a lower priced ultrawide zoom in production. In
the meantime, the 10.5 fisheye "de-fishes" very nicely with Nikon Capture 4.

(perhaps I could likve with just 24mm eq.)

Not me. That's not enough wider than the 27mm (equiv.) you get with the kit
lens.

and a vey fast lens for low-light use (perhaps 50mm f/1.8 - but would need
to be an AF-S version).

Yes. I have the 50/1.8D, great on the D70s but of course won't autofocus on
the D40. I'd be happy if Nikon would produce something around that f.l. in a
reasonably priced macro (Micro, in Nikonspeak) lens. It wouldn't be f/1.8 of
course, but I'd be content with a stop or so less in a real macro lens.

Neil

Old December 9th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Volker Hetzer

RichA wrote:
The D40 serves very little purpose except to cut costs of production
for Nikon. Why buy it over a D50?

Depends on how important size and weight is for you.
If they cut out the mirror stuff, make it 2cm flatter and give it
a movable LCD screen I'll buy one too. Even if it increases in price.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
Old December 10th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"THO" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

"David J Taylor"

wrote in message . uk...
What would be missing (for my use) would be a very wide angle

Yes indeedy. The 12-24 is a bit too pricey for me, but I'm fervently
hoping
Nikon is working on getting a lower priced ultrawide zoom in production.
In
the meantime, the 10.5 fisheye "de-fishes" very nicely with Nikon Capture
4.

I'm usually very anti-3rd party lenses but these days most people
consider the Tokina 12-24 a much better choice than the Nikon. It's half
the price (just under $500) and has nearly the same optical quality.

Yes, I've been thinking about that one too.

I've owned many third-party lenses over the years and still do own several
(Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) in the Minolta A mount. Since switching to Nikon,
though, I've stayed with Nikon lenses so far. I would rather pay some extra
bucks for Nikon glass, just not that *many* extra bucks.

I'm still hoping Nikon will produce something more reasonably priced. Of
course anything like that will be secret until they're ready to announce it,
so who knows? Maybe I will get the Tokina, which will probably result in a
lower-priced Nikkor appearing the following week. :-/

Neil