Does a digital camera get tired ?

Old October 25th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John

Default Does a digital camera get tired ?

My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable amount and
seemed to produce really good results when new. As time went on I notice
that the image quality was no longer that good. The dynamic range didn't
seem to be what it used to be, especially in high contrast outdoor
situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp anymore either . It got to the
point that it was unusable so we bought the new model and just put the old
one on a shelf. Lately I've been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness
and this one is only a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with
Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?
We use the camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help
or info will be greatly appreciated.

Old October 25th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:26:38 -0400, John wrote:

My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable amount and
seemed to produce really good results when new. As time went on I notice
that the image quality was no longer that good. The dynamic range didn't
seem to be what it used to be, especially in high contrast outdoor
situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp anymore either . It got to the
point that it was unusable so we bought the new model and just put the old
one on a shelf. Lately I've been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness
and this one is only a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with
Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?
We use the camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help
or info will be greatly appreciated.

All electronic circuits change over time.
Resistors and capacitors change their
value due to heat and surges.
Old October 25th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

John wrote:
My company previously used a Canon Eos1
As time went on I notice that the image quality was no longer
that good. The dynamic range didn't seem to be what it used
to be, especially in high contrast outdoor situations. It didn't
seem to be as sharp anymore either . It got to the point that
it was unusable so we bought the new model and just put the old
one on a shelf. Lately I've been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness
and this one is only a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with
Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?

I can imagine a CCD wearing out, but I have a feeling it's unaffected
in your case. Other chips take decades, maybe a century, to fail, and
resistors last forever at low voltage and power. The electronic
components most likely to fail are electrolytic capacitors, but the
only ones I would expect to fail would be those located in any power
supply circuitry. But because you have multiple optical problems, I
would suspect that circuitry, especially if you don't get low-battery
warnings.

Old October 25th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin

John wrote:
My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable amount and
seemed to produce really good results when new. As time went on I notice
that the image quality was no longer that good. The dynamic range didn't
seem to be what it used to be, especially in high contrast outdoor
situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp anymore either . It got to the
point that it was unusable so we bought the new model and just put the old
one on a shelf. Lately I've been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness
and this one is only a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with
Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?
We use the camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help
or info will be greatly appreciated.

Possibly dust, condensation or other junk has built up inside the camera.
How likely that is depends on how the camera is used and in what environment
it is used. I doubt the problem is with the sensor itself wearing out.

Kevin
Old October 25th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

John wrote:
My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable
amount and seemed to produce really good results when new. As time
went on I notice that the image quality was no longer that good. The
dynamic range didn't seem to be what it used to be, especially in
high contrast outdoor situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp
anymore either . It got to the point that it was unusable so we
bought the new model and just put the old one on a shelf. Lately I've
been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness and this one is only
a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with Canon tech support
I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ? We use the
camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help or
info will be greatly appreciated.

Probably sensor dust/dirt. You can get kits for cleaning the sensor. Just
Google for " sensor cleanung kits" and you will be amazed how common a
problem this is.

Dennis.

Old October 25th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Oct 25, 6:01 am, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
John wrote:
My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable
amount and seemed to produce really good results when new. As time
went on I notice that the image quality was no longer that good. The
dynamic range didn't seem to be what it used to be, especially in
high contrast outdoor situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp
anymore either . It got to the point that it was unusable so we
bought the new model and just put the old one on a shelf. Lately I've
been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness and this one is only
a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with Canon tech support
I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ? We use the
camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help or
info will be greatly appreciated.Probably sensor dust/dirt. You can get kits for cleaning the sensor. Just

Google for " sensor cleanung kits" and you will be amazed how common a
problem this is.

Dennis.

The camera is pushing 8-10 years old, a very major purchase at 20K+.
But cameras now have better features, though without the AA filter this
camera is very sharp. Is Kodak still repairing these? I'd send it in if
they are. If there is goo on the lens or sensor (which is possible with
this camera) they would be the best ones for cleaning the actual
sensor. If the electronics have come to the end of their life Kodak
will let you know too.

Tom

Old October 25th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:26:38 -0400, John wrote:

My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable amount and
seemed to produce really good results when new. As time went on I notice
that the image quality was no longer that good. The dynamic range didn't
seem to be what it used to be, especially in high contrast outdoor
situations. It didn't seem to be as sharp anymore either . It got to the
point that it was unusable so we bought the new model and just put the old
one on a shelf. Lately I've been noticing a an occasional lack of sharpness
and this one is only a year and a half old ! Before I get involved with
Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?
We use the camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help
or info will be greatly appreciated.

The Canon EOS-1 is a film camera; do you mean the 1D?
If so (and I think you do), thenthe answer is "sort of". Yes,
components do age, meaning values change over time with use and
exposure ot the environment.
What did you replace the 1D with? "the new model" doesn't mean much,
because there have been many new models since the 1D was brought out.
The occasional lack of sharpness can be caused by many things, most of
them brought on by the user, but sometimes can be caused by a
situation where the lens is having a hard time autofocusing because of
a lack of contrast (like in a low light situation).
If you could give more details (like which camera, which lens, what
situations where focus is poor, EXIF info) we can offer much more
help.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old October 26th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Kevin wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I agree. Such deposits create flare, which gives exactly the symptoms
mentioned.

Old October 31st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

tomm42 wrote:

John wrote:
My company previously used a Canon Eos1 .It cost a considerable
amount and seemed to produce really good results when new. As time
went on I notice that the image quality was no longer that good. The
dynamic range didn't seem to be what it used to be, especially in
high contrast outdoor situations.

edited, for brevity

The camera is pushing 8-10 years old, a very major purchase at 20K+.
But cameras now have better features, though without the AA filter this
camera is very sharp. Is Kodak still repairing these? I'd send it in if
they are. If there is goo on the lens or sensor (which is possible with
this camera) they would be the best ones for cleaning the actual
sensor. If the electronics have come to the end of their life Kodak
will let you know too.

Tom

Hello, Tom:

The original poster ("John") mentioned a "Canon Eos1," not a Kodak
camera.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old October 31st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 30 Oct 2006 23:59:37 EST, John Turco wrote:

tomm42 wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

And while the OP did say EOS 1, I believe he meant an EOS 1D.
The EOS 1 was a film camera.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"