Problem with GAF 1788Z dual 8 projector

Old December 5th 04, 08:35 AM
Doc

Default Problem with GAF 1788Z dual 8 projector

Hoping someone knowledgeable about 8mm projector function/repair will be
able to help.

I recently got my parents' 70's era GAF 1788Z dual 8 projector out of
mothballs. The old main drive belt had gotten hard and broke so I replaced
it but it's still having problems. As far as I can tell all the O-ring type
belts are in good shape, the gears/pulleys are all sound, I don't see any
broken springs etc. The projector actually has very little use, it was only
used a couple of times.

The problem as far as I can determine is that the take-up spindle isn't
being engaged when the projector is in FWD. The spindles themselves are
turned by free-spinning disks on the inside end of the shafts that are
supposed to engage rubberized edges on the outside of nylon wheels.
However, in FWD, the rubber edges don't engage though they do in other
positions.

Any insights, suggestions? If needed, I can take pics and post on a website.

Alternately, anyone know where I can get a service manual for this projector
model?

Thanks for all input.

Old January 24th 05, 05:43 PM
Mike King

When I was in film making class (back when film making was done with FILM
not video equipment!), the more knowledgeable guys carried a little brush
and cleaned the film gate on the class projector before running their film
through the community machine.

--
darkroommike

----------
Interesting! BTW, it's a good idea to keep the gate clean as this is the
major source of film scratches.

Old January 25th 05, 04:33 AM
Tim Mullen

In "Mike King" writes:

When I was in film making class (back when film making was done with FILM
not video equipment!)

Ummm... it still is.

By far, however, the most important part of making a film is
telling a story, not the equipment used.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.