Best colour for Sunglasses Lenses when taking photos

Old August 13th 04, 10:18 PM
Roland Karlsson

Default Best colour for Sunglasses Lenses when taking photos

John wrote in news:eh8qh0hadadd3cjapnh5bsoqm1kvs7461j@
4ax.com:

I an looking for a new pair of sunglasses to wear when taking pictures
abroad and was wondering if there was a prefered colour for the lenses
ie brown or grey

What kind of question is that?

The color of the sunglasses do not affect the pictures.

And why should it be different "abroad"?

/Roland

Old August 13th 04, 10:18 PM
Terry

John wrote:

I an looking for a new pair of sunglasses to wear when taking pictures
abroad and was wondering if there was a prefered colour for the lenses
ie brown or grey

In my opinion it doesn't matter. Your brain is pretty good at adapting
to lens colors, and letting you "see" the real colors. I suppose the
best, theoretically, would be grey (like a neutral density filter),
but it's almost impossible to get a good grey color for sunglasses. I
would choose the sunglass color based on what seems good for normal
viewing, and figure that will be pretty good for photography, as well.
For me, that is the classic dark green color, but YMMV.

However, avoid polarized sunglasses. Most LCD displays produce
polarized light, and the LCD output will be invisible (or severly
attenuated) when the camera is in one orienation or another.
Typically, things work fine in the "normal" landscape orientation, but
you can't see anything in portrait orientation.

If you have an LCD viewfinder, this will affect everthing you see in
the viewfinder. If you have an optical viewfinder, it won't affect
your view of the scene, but it will affect the displays around the
edges of the viewfinder (shutter speed, aperture, etc.).

Similarly, it will affect your view of the LCD panel on the back of
the camera (in one orientation or another).

In particular, do not let an optician talk you into prescription
polarized sunglasses. In my experience, most of them are not aware of
this problem, and you will end up with an expensive pair of sunglasses
that you will curse every time you turn your camera to portrait
orientation. Been there, done that (though it was years ago on film
SLR equipment).

Terry

Old August 13th 04, 10:19 PM
Jimmy Smith

Amber and polarized.

Old August 13th 04, 10:19 PM
Jimmy Smith

Amber and polarized.

Old August 13th 04, 10:23 PM
John

Old August 13th 04, 11:00 PM
Clyde Torres

"John" wrote in message
I an looking for a new pair of sunglasses to wear when taking pictures
abroad and was wondering if there was a prefered colour for the lenses
ie brown or grey

Go with rose colored lenses and polarization so that you can see the cool
pink center. Progressive lenses should allow you to resolve the RCHs.

Old August 13th 04, 11:12 PM
Trey

Clyde Torres wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I an looking for a new pair of sunglasses to wear when taking
pictures abroad and was wondering if there was a prefered colour for
the lenses ie brown or grey

Go with rose colored lenses and polarization so that you can see the
cool pink center. Progressive lenses should allow you to resolve the
RCHs.

Yes, everyone in my family wears "rose colored glasses" and everything is
just fine to them ;-)

Old August 13th 04, 11:16 PM
Philip Homburg

Terry wrote:
In my opinion it doesn't matter. Your brain is pretty good at adapting
to lens colors, and letting you "see" the real colors. I suppose the
best, theoretically, would be grey (like a neutral density filter),
but it's almost impossible to get a good grey color for sunglasses.

Nikon has nice grey sunglasses. The one I have is not teribly strong,
but I think it is nice to see the colors the way they are supposed to be.

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving