GARY FONG LOVES THE 20D !

Old July 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default GARY FONG LOVES THE 20D !

On Jul 27, 5:09 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Much improvement would have been realized with the Larry Thong Lightbottle.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/lt1.htm

Rita

I knew that all I had to do was to mention Gary Fong and you'd come
running with the hook in your mouth, ala Pavlov's dog.

Old July 28th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mr.T

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Nevertheless, thank you for posting the link to the home-made bounce
flash device. It looks interesting, but the idea is identical to that
behind a proprietary device that has had protection from international
patents for some years now.

It is of course a copy of the Lumiquest, which you mentioned.

Which of course does not prevent anyone from making one for their own use,
which is what the site is suggesting.

MrT.

Old July 28th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
smb

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:43:05 -0700, Annika1980
wrote:

Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
Lightsphere.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

OMG Bret, are you STILL hawking that Canon gear? When will you
learn that it's all about seeing and capturing what you see, not the
box you hold in your hands? Who cares what camera or flash you use,
let the images speak for themselves and let the viewers wonder how you
did it.

Besides, if more of your democrat friends get elected next time, you
won't have any money left to buy those new lenses and gadgets! :-)

Steve

Old July 28th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jul 28, 7:46 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

I knew that all I had to do was to mention Gary Fong and you'd come
running with the hook in your mouth, ala Pavlov's dog.

LOL! No, you just had a subconscious desire to have me reaffirm you of how
stupid you feel after paying all that money for a gimmick that can be made
for next to nothing from common household materials.

Once again you show your ignorance.
The Gary Fong Lightsphere outperforms your silly alcohol bottle and
even my Lumiquest Softbox for that matter. If it didn't I wouldn't be
touting it. People that think they can get the same results by using
plastic or taping an index card to their flash for bounce are living
in their own delusions, kinda like someone else I know.

My only problem with the Lightsphere is that I got the one designed
for the 550EX and it won't fit on my 430EX. Shortly after I got it, I
broke the base of my 550EX making it unusable on camera. It will
function as a remote slave, however.

Old July 28th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jul 28, 7:29 am, smb wrote:

Besides, if more of your democrat friends get elected next time, you
won't have any money left to buy those new lenses and gadgets! :-)

Steve

Yeah, your boy, Bush, and his crooked cronies are doing a great job.
****ing idiot.

Old July 28th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

smb wrote:

Besides, if more of your democrat friends get elected next time, you
won't have any money left to buy those new lenses and gadgets! :-)

Hmm. Clinton balanced the budget and halted debt growth.

Bush increased the 6T total debt at that time and will have increased it
to 9T by Sept 2007. eg: a 50% increase in less than 8 years over a debt
that took over 40 years to accumulate.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 28th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jul 28, 9:55 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
I knew that all I had to do was to mention Gary Fong and you'd come
running with the hook in your mouth, ala Pavlov's dog.

LOL! No, you just had a subconscious desire to have me reaffirm you
of how stupid you feel after paying all that money for a gimmick
that can be made for next to nothing from common household materials.

Once again you show your ignorance.
The Gary Fong Lightsphere outperforms your silly alcohol bottle and
even my Lumiquest Softbox for that matter. If it didn't I wouldn't be
touting it. People that think they can get the same results by using
plastic or taping an index card to their flash for bounce are living
in their own delusions, kinda like someone else I know.

Again. LOL!!! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bust your bubble and
deny you the total bliss of suffering from the placebo effect. I mean,
hell, if you're happy with it by all means enjoy it. Once the placebo
effect wears off you will come down hard and realize that you made an
utterly stupid and costly mistake. Sadly, you could have put that pocket
change you wasted on the Fong towards an 85/1.4 Nikkor and adapter ring.

My only problem with the Lightsphere is that I got the one designed
for the 550EX and it won't fit on my 430EX. Shortly after I got it, I
broke the base of my 550EX making it unusable on camera. It will
function as a remote slave, however.

See! Now you find the utter stupidity of being locked into overpriced
gimmickry. The Larry Thong Lightbottle is immune to these problems.

As for your 550EX you do realize you can buy that replacement part for
$9.95?

http://www.spartanphotocenter.com/Parts.htm#Canon%20Flash

If you had bought the SB800 you wouldn't be suffering from broken bases on
these poorly designed Canon speedlights

Rita

If it made Bret happy to buy it, then leave him alone. His bills are
paid, food is on the table and all is well at home. As for using the
money for something else, such as a lens, he knew his options and made
his choice. Judging by his work with it, I say it's a damn wise
choice. You can't take money with you, so seize the day while you
can.
Helen

Old July 28th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Tony Polson wrote:
I think you have missed the point. More flash output is not needed
here. The shot was perfectly exposed.

What we were discussing was opening up the lens to f/1.2 to improve
the rendition of the out of focus background highlights, which was
harsh at f/9 and neutral at f/3.2. Bret's new Canon 85mm lens is
justly renowned for its smooth background bokeh at f/1.2, so I asked
why not open it up?

Bret pointed out that the shutter speed was limited to 1/250 sec
because he was using flash, and that the ambient light dictated the
apertures. It had nothing whatsoever to do with flash output.

Nevertheless, thank you for posting the link to the home-made bounce
flash device. It looks interesting, but the idea is identical to that
behind a proprietary device that has had protection from international
patents for some years now.

I think you may have missed the link from my comments to Bret's. My
comments were in reference to Bret's comments as follows:

"I wanted to make sure I had enough flash to light him up."

He was explaining why he didn't use the high speed sync function on his
camera in response to your question as to why he didn't use a higher
shutter speed so that he could use a wider aperture, etc.

My comment was meant to question the use of a diffuser that seriously
decreases his flash output. I guess to have kept it a little better on
point, I should have mentioned that using a more efficient diffuser
could have allowed the high speed sync, faster shutter speed and wider
aperture. So, it (what my post referenced) really did have something
"whatsoever to do" with flash output.

On another note, in looking at the homemade device at the link that I
posted, I doubt seriously that it, being an improvement on the Lumiquest
device, really just a better idea IMHO (and I own one of the Lumiquest
devices), would constitute a patent infringement.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 28th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

Agreed!

Besides, the SB800 won't work right on Bret's 20D
Old July 28th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

PixelPix wrote:

The idea of flash diffusion is not patented, but the individual device
design is.... so I think the Larry Thong Light Bottle is safe....
however the name may be a bit of an issue. LOL ;-)

Not to mention, the thing looks mildly phallic. Might not go over too
well for kiddie events or model shoots.