Replacing bellows: new or used

Old March 7th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Replacing bellows: new or used

I plan on replacing the deteriorating bellows on my Omega DII enlarger.

I can get a brand new set from Harry's classic-enlargers for $120 (after
fitting to plates and shipping). Or I can obtain a used set, described to
be in "perfect condition, not dried out" for $45 (after shipping). I want
something that will last me awhile (10+ years).

My question: do bellows just deteriorate with age? I imagine the used
bellows have got to be 20+ years old. But money saved on this can
go to more film and paper :-) Any reason why a used set in great
condition wouldn't continue to be in great condition?

Old March 7th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I went the used route and was perfectly satisfied. Keep in mind the bellows
could be closer to 50 years old.

Having said that, make sure you get a 10-day money back inspection or
equivalent) the darkroom can be a hostile place to bellows (especially
leather) and old-style glues. My original D-II bellows did not wear out, it
had a "blow out", and the seam unglued. I've also seen cases where the
pleats lost their folds, usually caused by glue failure as well, this time
the bellows material and stiffeners loose their grip.

I went to a camera swap this weekend and could have had my pick of 3 D-2V's
for $120 each, should have bought them to part out.
--
darkroommike
news

Old March 8th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

?Have you tried Omega for the bellows replacement?

Regards.

BoB McCarthy

Old March 8th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I was in camera sales for 15 yrs in a high end photo store in
Washington state. I left that store in 1991.I remember having several
bellows repaired by a company called Brooklyn Bellows. I am not sure
about their name, but if you can give me about one week I will research
it and get back to you. I know they did beautiful work and were very
reasonable. They just took all the old parts that you could salvage and
sent you back what looked like better then new.
Clint H.

Old March 8th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

What's now called Omega (Satter) has very little connection to the older
company (Simmon Omega) other than name. Omega has gone through many
iterations over the years. They do have parts for the LPL enlargers they
imported. And some D-series parts, mostly carriers and lens discs (some D-5
will fit older enlargers (not the bellows)).
http://www.omegasatter.com/v2/home.cfm

The best source for parts for classic Omega enlargers is Classic Enlargers
(used to be known as Classic Omega Enlargers). The website is
http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ and Harry Taylor has more parts than
anyone else. He's been buying, refurbishing and parting out Omega enlargers
for years. When original source parts supplies dry up Harry makes or has
made replacement parts to keep the venerable beasts running. He also runs a
forum on his site called "Ask Harry" and has FAQ's on enlarger related
subjects.

One other place to try is KHB in Canada http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/
they have parts for many enlargers and cameras (if nothing else they have a
VERY comprehensive parts list).
--
darkroommike
ups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I was in camera sales for 15 yrs in a high end photo store in
Washington state. I left that store in 1991.I remember having several
bellows repaired by a company called Brooklyn Bellows. I am not sure
about their name, but if you can give me about one week I will research
it and get back to you. I know they did beautiful work and were very
reasonable. They just took all the old parts that you could salvage and
sent you back what looked like better then new.
Clint H.

Thanks for the offer Clint. Not necessary. I've heard of Brooklyn
Bellows and they are well regarded (as is camerabellows.com and a few
other sources)