Should I specify Adobe RGB when my camera has this setting?

Old June 23rd 04, 10:10 PM

Default Should I specify Adobe RGB when my camera has this setting?

"Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" nseditor2002
wrote:

I have the Digital Rebel and been using the default parameter for color
space. Since I use Photoshop to edit my picts, should I set both color
spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.

The gamut is larger, but not by a huge margin:

http://www.brucelindbloom.com

Clink "Info", then on "Information about RGB Working Sets".

Whether you should use the Adobe space or sRGB depends. For example,
if all your images are going to be viewed on sRGB monitors, then at
some point all that "extra information" will have to be "removed".
Would you like the camera to do this at image collection time (at zero
time cost to you), or would you like to do it post-exposure in
PhotoSlop?
Old June 24th 04, 05:43 AM
Warren Jones

OK, so if only a monitor is involved, then you suggest using sRGB in-camera
setting; what about outputting to an Epson Photo inkjet as the prime use of
the colour space, again from PS. (Given the difficulties of colour matching
between monitor and printer). Further thoughts on this challenging topic??

om...