Upgrade to Mamiya 654E ?

Old April 4th 04, 02:55 AM
MATT WILLIAMS

Default Upgrade to Mamiya 654E ?

I have a old M645 with a standard prism that was been a great camera for me.
I have seen some 645E bodies used at KEH at decent prices and I was
wondering if I would be gaining much improvement by buying the body and
using my old 80mm and 55mm M645 lens that I have. They should be
interchangeable ? The 645E would be a little lighter (I lug the M645 on
backpacking hikes in the mountains) but it seems a little awkward to hold
from what I have been able determine from looking at them in the stores. I
use my M645 with a tripod or at least a monopod and would also do so with
645E. Any feedback would be appreciated. Matt

Old April 4th 04, 05:23 AM
-

I am sure there will be lots of opinions on this but I wouldn't think it
would be worth the investment unless you are experiencing problems with your
current M645. Certainly not for optical performance since you will just be
using the same lenses. The E might be lighter, but is it enough to really
make a difference? The more robust construction might be worth it since you
are taking it on the trail. The E doesn't let you switch viewfinders which
would be a big negative to me (personal preference). The E doesn't add any
sort of upgrade path toward digital either. I would save your money for the
inevitable digital upgrade when the time is right.

Just one person's opinion though...
Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:

Old April 4th 04, 04:46 PM
-

The more robust construction might be worth it since you are taking it on
the trail.

Talking here about the M645's more robust construction even though it weighs
a bit more...

Doug