Favorite learning resources?

Old July 20th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Lang

Default Favorite learning resources?

/lurk
Call me a guy with a growing interest for photography as a pass-time.
When my P&S died last fall, I decided to lay out what I could afford
for a decent camera. I bought a Nikon D80 with a couple of kit
lenses. After playing with it for several months, I've decided I'm
producing higher quality crap than I did with the P&S. Good enough
for family, but the difference is noticable when I see some of the
stuff posted here. Light and composition are my two biggest
weaknesses.

Unfortunately, I don't have the schedule to take a CC class or
anything like that. I picked up "Mastering Digital SLR Photography"
(Busch), so I know HOW my camera works. Now I want to know how to
make it take better pictures.

Do you guys want to suggest any materials/books/mags etc that can
help me improve? My favorite subjects are family gatherings,
zoos/aquariums/wildlife, and just junk I see when I'm out and about.
I'll definitely have the camera with me when I head to the mountain
and the deer stand this fall. (There's no daily limit for shooting a
D80 AFAIK).

TIA

lurk
Old July 20th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bill Lang wrote:
/lurk

Do you guys want to suggest any materials/books/mags etc

lurk

This place has some nice detailed technical explanations:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
-may or may not appeal to you...

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 21st 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bino

"Bill Lang" wrote in message
[...]

John Shaw's books were of immense help getting me started.

Old July 22nd 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Warren

"Bill Lang" wrote in message
[...]

I found "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson very helpful.

Regards

Warren

Old July 23rd 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bino

"Warren" wrote in message

"Bill Lang" wrote in message
[...]

I enjoyed Patterson's book on composition.