Rebel XTI slow to write to memory card

Old July 19th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Default Rebel XTI slow to write to memory card

Jürgen Exner wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:

Snipped bits out

Formatting in camera is way faster than erasing.

Are you jumping back to my first comment now?

Does it matter? It's a simple, and true, statement.

Anyway, I doubt that. Ctrl-A == "Delete" == "Enter". That's jsut
three keys to press and at least on the 2GB cards I am using it never
took more than a few seconds for the delete to finish.

That's on the computer. I was speaking of on-camera operations, which
are safer than doing it via computer. And while one can format via Mac
to FAT, why take the extra time?

Save your sarcasm for when someone attacks you. Or did I miss something?

Sorry if you feel I attacked you. Probably I should have added a smiley
to make intentions clearer.

A smiley would have been hypocritical. You jumped in gratuitously, and
were rude and grating.

I asked if I had somehow insulted you previously. Had I?

--
john mcwilliams

Old July 19th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Peter wrote:
[]
I use the camera and tend to reformat often to clear the card. Is that
a bad idea?

Thanks,

Peter

Reformatting in the camera is the correct way to avoid problems caused by
using incompatible format options when using a PC or Mac. You are doing
the right thing.

Cheers,
David

Old July 19th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Jürgen Exner wrote:
[]
Here's mine:
- take card out of camera and plug into computer
- copy all files to backup master location
- import and copy all files into Adobe PS work directory
- erase all files from card (PS even offers a 'delete upon import'
which however I don't use because for deleting I don't want any
automation) - take card out of computer and plug back into camera

In this workflow the erase portion seems to be very natural and not a
problem or interruption at all. If there is a better/faster/more
streamlined workflow I would love hear about it.

jue

Jürgen,

Deleting a directory is not the same as reformatting. It is slower, does
not leave a "clean" structure on the card, and users more write cycles.
To "erase" the card, reformatting in the camera is the safest and best
approach.

David

Old July 19th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jürgen Exner wrote:

Doesn't matter much. As long as the file system itself isn't damaged
there isn't any difference between removing all file information from
the directory ( = deleting all files) and recreating the file system (=
formatting), assuming your are choosing a file system that is compatible
with your cameras and OS.

Of course thre is a difference. Any comparison program run
on the image of a freshly formatted card and one that had
files and had them deleted will show non-trivial difference
(assuming a FAT file system)

If these differences will upset your camera, even though they
should not, depends a lot on the implementation of the FAT drivers
in the camera.

Those few additional write cycles aren't cutting into maximum number of
rewrites which is hundreds of thousands of cycles.

However, (quick) formatting is vastly faster in almost all cases.

-Wolfgang
Old July 20th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phisherman

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:52:11 -0700 (PDT), Peter
wrote:

On Jul 19, 6:50 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:47:38 -0700 (PDT), Peter

wrote:
I've been trying to take some shots, often one after another, in
groups of 5-10. Not in continuous mode, however. Often, the camera
says "busy" and does not respond. I bought a 2 gig 300x memory card.
It worked a lot better for the first 70 or 80 shots, then it slowed
down. I reformatted and this time it is a little slow even when the
memory card is close to empty. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Peter

Did you reformat the card using the camera or PC?

I use the camera and tend to reformat often to clear the card. Is that
a bad idea?

Thanks,

Peter

Depends. There are a finite number of times that a card can be
written. It is better just to delete items on the card--less time,
less energy. However, if you really want to wipe off images so they
can not be recovered easily, reformat the card. Personally, I might
reformat a memory card if I changed cameras, but that's it.
Old July 20th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phisherman

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:34:15 GMT, Jürgen Exner
wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:
I use the camera and tend to reformat often to clear the card. Is that
a bad idea?

Bad only if you don't do it in camera.

Why? There is no difference between formatting a card in the camera or
formatting it in a computer. The file system created on the card is the
same (baring broken or non standard-compliant formatting SW, of course).

There can be a difference. It is always better to format the card in
the device where it will be read/written. The camera may add
formatting system files, and the PC may not.

Then it's a "good thing".

Why? Unless you need to recreate a file system because it is damaged for
whatever reason there is no need nor benefit (nor damage) in formatting
a card. Or do you reformat the HDs in your computer every other week,
too?

jue

Old July 20th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

John McWilliams wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:

Snipped bits out

Formatting in camera is way faster than erasing.

Anyway, I doubt that. Ctrl-A == "Delete" == "Enter". That's jsut
three keys to press and at least on the 2GB cards I am using it never
took more than a few seconds for the delete to finish.

That's on the computer. I was speaking of on-camera operations, which

Sorry, I didn't know that because you didn't mention it. Yes, an camera
a format is certainly easier to initiate than an in-camera delete all
files.
Which on the other hand is irrelevant when the delete all files is done
before swapping the card from the computer back to the camera.

are safer than doing it via computer.

I disagree. Delete is delete, no matter which device performs the
operation.

And while one can format via Mac
to FAT, why take the extra time?

Again, I disagree with both preconditions that are implied in your
question:
- that it takes longer to format in-computer than in-camera
- and that a format is necessary or even just superior to a delete-all
files

[personal attack snipped]

jue
Old July 20th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

John McWilliams wrote:
Bad only if you don't do it in camera.

Why? There is no difference between formatting a card in the camera or
formatting it in a computer. The file system created on the card is the
same (baring broken or non standard-compliant formatting SW, of course).

There can be a difference. It is always better to format the card in
the device where it will be read/written. The camera may add
formatting system files, and the PC may not.

Fair enough, that's the second good reason for using in-camera
formatting that I've seen in this argument.

jue
Old July 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

John McWilliams wrote:

I doubt you'll do anything but argue and be dense when you lose.
However, on the off chance, and for benefit of others: The following

Ok, I had it. Take it whatever way you like, I don't care any mo

***PLONK***

jue
--
PROUD TO PLONK
Life's too short to be trolled, spammed or get upset about lame

Old July 20th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"OldBoy" wrote:
"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Why? There is no difference between formatting a card in the camera or
formatting it in a computer. The file system created on the card is the
same (baring broken or non standard-compliant formatting SW, of course).

That may be so, but some Windows versions put a thumbnail file on the card.
That's not appreciated by the camera.

That's the first sound argument I've seen in favour of doing file
operations in-camera instead of in-computer.

jue