I should always carry my camera

Old July 24th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default I should always carry my camera

I was walking down the tracks today, and about a 1000 feet farther I spotted a
brown shape. Maybe a deer, I thought. As I got closer, I expected him to flee at
any time, but he just stood and stared at me. "I could get a good shot with a
300mm" I thought.

When I got to chipping distance, he was still there. "Could get a real nice
shot" I kept thinking...

Then I got within putting distance, and he finally bolted. I could have shot him
with a 75mm...

Oh well, live and learn!

Old July 24th 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gerrit

wrote in message

I was walking down the tracks today, and about a 1000 feet farther I
spotted a
brown shape. Maybe a deer, I thought. As I got closer, I expected him to
flee at
any time, but he just stood and stared at me. "I could get a good shot
with a
300mm" I thought.

When I got to chipping distance, he was still there. "Could get a real
nice
shot" I kept thinking...

Then I got within putting distance, and he finally bolted. I could have
shot him
with a 75mm...

Oh well, live and learn!

Even if you have your camera with you at all times it does not necessarily
mean you will capture that shot.
Last August we were driving southwards towards Kitwanga BC from
Hyder/Stewart when on a long straight stretch we saw a whitish animal
crossing the road. Though - oh just another wild goat or mountain sheep. Got
a bit closer realised it was too big for a goat/sheep. Still closer the
penny dropped. A Kermode bear. Tried desperately to get the camera (Nikon
D50 with a 28-200mm Tamron attached) out of the bag lying on the floor in
front of the back seat and trying to keep the car rolling straight along the
road. By the time we stopped and had the camera ready the bear had
disappeared into the bush.
Motto: when you have your camera with you make sure it is ready for shooting
at all times and right where you can grab it in an instant, and take photos
at the first opportunity then when/if you get closer you get bonus.

Old July 25th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob

wrote in message

I was walking down the tracks today, and about a 1000 feet farther I
spotted a
brown shape. Maybe a deer, I thought. As I got closer, I expected him to
flee at
any time, but he just stood and stared at me. "I could get a good shot
with a
300mm" I thought.

When I got to chipping distance, he was still there. "Could get a real
nice
shot" I kept thinking...

Then I got within putting distance, and he finally bolted. I could have
shot him
with a 75mm...

Oh well, live and learn!

Motto: when you have your riffle with you make sure it is ready for shooting
at all times and right where you can grab it in an instant, and take shots
at the first opportunity then when/if you get closer you get bonus.