Inch thread for standard tripod mount

Old June 15th 04, 06:44 PM
Dietmar Schrader

Default Inch thread for standard tripod mount

Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread. I
have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found an
online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such srew?

Thanks,

Didi
Old June 15th 04, 07:22 PM
Gijs Rietveld

A few years ago I bought them from Hama. It looks very odd to me that they
are not available anymore because almost every camera including modern
digital ones have the same tripod screwmount. just take a look at a serious
photo shop.
Succes, Gijs

"Dietmar Schrader" schreef in bericht

Old June 15th 04, 07:30 PM
Mike

"Dietmar Schrader" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread. I
have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found an
online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such

srew?

Thanks,

Didi

Unless there is some strange insert in the camera's tripod socket or things
have changed the standard screw is 1/4-20.

Old June 15th 04, 08:08 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"Mike" writes:

"Dietmar Schrader" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread. I
have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found an
online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such

srew?

Thanks,

Didi

Unless there is some strange insert in the camera's tripod socket or things
have changed the standard screw is 1/4-20.

Which means 20 threads per inch on a 0.25-inch diameter screw.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old June 15th 04, 08:31 PM
howard

"Dietmar Schrader" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread. I
have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found an
online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such

srew?

Thanks,

Didi

1/4 inch whitworth (standard 20 thread pitch socket)

H.

Old June 16th 04, 01:00 AM
Alex Wilde

In message , Dietmar Schrader
writes
Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread.
I have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found
an online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such srew?

Thanks,

Didi

You need the 1/4" UNC.

UNC = unified coarse
UNF = unified fine

HTH
--
Alex Wilde
Motor Sport Photography -

Old June 16th 04, 09:15 AM
Chris Loffredo

Dietmar Schrader wrote:
Hello all,

I am seeking the right designation for a standard tripod-mount thread. I
have two Olympus OM2 and want to mount them together to make
stereoscopic pictures. But I did not found a single screw shop here in
germany, where one could sell me a screw with an inch-thread. I found an
online shop, but it seems that there are two different types of
inch-threads:
UNC and UNF. Does anyone know the right designation and size for such srew?

Thanks,

Didi

Go to any camera shop that's been around a while: They probably have a
drawer full screws & things...

Chris