C5050 and CC flash cards

Old August 21st 04, 12:34 AM
Ken Scharf

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.

I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
work fine, as do my old SM cards.

Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
broken?)

I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
latest rev in the process.

You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.

How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.

Well you partly answered that
You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

OK what camera menu does the EXIF data appear in and what exactly
IS EXIF data? Or is this embedded in the jpeg file?
I am NOT running the Camedia software, I am running Linux and
mount my camera as a USB storage device. I use the GIMP to
touch up and print my photos.

Old August 21st 04, 01:54 AM
Mike S.

Ken Scharf wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

[...]

Sorry for not being more explicit. Yes, it's embedded in the beginning of
the JPEG file - at byte 0x112 on a sample image I just pulled up.

The older firmware - specifically V558-77 and earlier - had compatibility
issues with certain brand/size combinations of CD cards.

Old August 21st 04, 01:54 AM
Mike S.

Ken Scharf wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Old August 21st 04, 02:03 AM
Ken Scharf

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

[...]

and what is a current revision code?

V558-82 AFAIK.

I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
bios on my computer!)

See http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-firmware.html

Found it. Linux software to read the tags.
here is a dump
Equipment Make: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD
Camera Model: C5050Z
Camera Softwa v558-78
Maximum Lens Apertu f/1.8

Image-Specific Properties:

Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
Image Created: 2004:08:18 18:04:42
Exposure Time: 1/30 sec
F-Number: f/1.8
Exposure Program: Normal Program
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Metering Mode: Pattern
Light Source: Unknown
Flash: Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length: 8.20 mm
Color Space Information: sRGB
Image Width: 2560
Image Height: 1920
Rendering: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto
White Balance: Auto
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: Low Gain Up
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Compression Setting: SQ
Macro Mode: Normal
Old August 21st 04, 03:47 AM
Ken Scharf

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

[...]

Seems my camera's firmware is :
Camera Softwa v558-78

So it's just one version later than the one you quoted.
Maybe a problem?

BTW I did find a Linux program called EXIFtags that
dumps this info. Cool, didn't know about that.
A Google search on EXIF and Linux found it.
Old August 21st 04, 04:32 AM
M. Souris

I had no problems with different CF cards when I was using v558-78,
and none after upgrading to 82 either.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:01:13 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)

Old August 21st 04, 02:38 PM
Mike S.

Ken Scharf wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

[...]

I stopped following this after a while, but did not see any reports of CF
card compatibility issues with v558-78. That was my original firmware too,
and I had no issues (but I updated to v558-82 'just because' anyway).

Old August 21st 04, 02:38 PM
Mike S.

Ken Scharf wrote:
Mike S. wrote: