Photography Website Design

Old October 28th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jono

Default Photography Website Design

I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

Old October 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Jono wrote:
I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

I've seen some friendly, constructive guidance by members of
alt.www.webmaster

Of course sometimes the criticism is not that helpful, or kind, but
the competence, knowledge, and experience are there, too.

--
Frank ess

Old October 28th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Jono wrote:
I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

OK. I like your photos. Nice and clean and colorful and 'stockish'.

Pretty clear to me they aren't really the focus of your site. It took
a few seconds to suss a way to see them, to get past the 'news', 'who
am I?', 'participate' noise and find the signal.

For my money, it should be the other way around: show me some shots;
if I want news, or who you are, or to participate, the quality of your
_photography_ work will either draw me in or not, and I will or won't
be interested in the window dressing based on how the photos affect
me.

Of course I have no idea what you mean by 'effective'. Perhaps another
will have a viewpoint more in keeping with what I think you are after.
What I see is 'A Photographer's View Of A Photographer Through That
Photographer's Eyes (And A Bit Of The World, To Boot)'.

More and bigger pictures up top. That's what I prefer.

--
Frank ess

Old October 28th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

Jono wrote:
I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

Well, since you ask...

It's an over designed mess. Is it really supposed to be a photography
website? If so, shouldn't it have a link somewhere near the top which
users click on to see photographs? It seems it have everything but the
kitchen sink in there, so perhaps there's no room. It rather looks like
you've installed Wordpress and enabled pretty much all the features you
could find. Why on earth should anyone /register/ with your website?

The "My Photographs" link doesn't work for me, which I presume is
because your theme is dependent on Javascript.

I suggest you try to work out exactly want you want from the site. Is it
a blog? A personal news portal of some sort? Somewhere to host your
resume? Or the photography website you're pushing it to be? Decide, then
clear out all the crap you've thrown in. Get some focus.

The handful of photos I could get to see (linked directly from the main
page) are pretty good, but they're far too big for the web.
"Mountainside Prairie" is 488x375 pixels, which is fine, and almost 1MB
which is not!

Also, it's unwise to put your name, address and phone numbers on the
web. People looking to steal identities don't have to work that hard as
it is; don't make life easier for them.

Oh, and it's the British Broadcasting /Corporation/, not Company.

--
a href="http://www.derekfountain.org/"Derek Fountain/a on the web at
http://www.derekfountain.org/
Old October 29th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

Jono wrote:
I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

Okay, I was about to blast you for having a totally ineffective website
but then I clicked on your resume and see that you're a high school
kid. Okay, you've earned the benefit of the doubt and a nicer
response than an adult would get.

Okay, the picture are pretty good. I'll start with that. There's only
a dozen or so, but a great start. Lots of people have spent lots of
time taking pictures and not gotten ones that good.

But your website, it a disaster. It isn't that it's bad, it's that it
isn't focuses.

First, think what you are trying to promote. You are trying to promote
either you or your pictures. So when I go to your website, I am
greeted with an article about someone hacking the IPOD. So what. I
don't give a d*#n. Then there's a calendar, a "sign in", and lots of
things other than photographs. I think you might be using some sort of
blogging software for a photos site or something like that.

My suggestion is that you go study some other photo websites and see
what works and what doesn't Them imitate what's good and avoid what's
bad. On yours, you have to search to find the photos. That's nothing
anyone is going to do. Get your photos out in the forefront.

So all in all, I think you have some talent as a photographer and maybe
as a blogger, but you have to work on your website design stuff.

Good luck with it.

Old October 29th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Pat wrote:
Jono wrote:
[...]

your site has a lot but not many photo's,when it should be
photo's,photo's photos all the other stuff one can get anywhere so
thereis no need for it on the site all you need is is photo's and use
the best stuff you have and different photo's
(i.e)wedding,studio,sports,news etc ,once you have your site sorted out
post it and come back a few days later and see what you can change to
give it more impact,it's a photo site right, impressions count.

Old November 17th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
marika

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:06:59 -0400, Pat
wrote:

Jono wrote:
I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
(www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
appreciated. Thanks!

www.lawsonstudio.com
The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

Okay, I was about to blast you for having a totally ineffective website
but then I clicked on your resume and see that you're a high school
kid.

I am pretty sure everyone already heard this, they had it on NPR and
places like that,