Digital Exposure Question -- Middle Gray vs Exposure At Highlights

Old June 23rd 04, 11:51 PM
MikeS

Default Digital Exposure Question -- Middle Gray vs Exposure At Highlights

"Chris Brown" wrote in message
S. S. wrote:
Hello, DigiFotoers,

I am taking photos with a Canon G3 camera. I think there is a tip out
there suggesting that when taking digital photos, shoot by exposing at
highlights (which will make photo underexposed), and then bring up the
brightness using softwares afterwards. So I usually take pictures by
Spot Metering at the highlights. This works under normal light
condition, but when I tried to do it when doing sunrise, sunset, or
waterfall, spot metering at the highlight always makes the dark area
lose details greatly.

Spot meter on the highlights and use +2 stops exposure compensation.

Without
the compensation, you're essentially pushing your sensor by two stops,
something digital sensors are really bad at.

I wonder, in both normal light condition and abnormal light condition,
how about one just spot metering at the area that is close to middle
gray? Does any of you have experiences with doing that? Thanks!

That would work, but you risk blowing the highlights. The reason for
metering off the highlights, with exposure compensation, with digital is

the
same as for doing it with slides - neither handle overexposure well.

With the Canon DSLRs, you can generally get away with +3 stops on the
brightest highlights (and RAW mode), but with the G3 you may want to leave
it at +2.

Is this the same a compensation for snow scenes increasing exposure or
under exposing for coal(dark) scenes because the exposure meter is trying to
render all to 18% grey scale. as Ive been underexposing by 1 stop to prevent
highlight blow outs and have got very underexposed shots on my D70.
MikeS