Ultra fast compact flash?

Old August 2nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wizzard

Default Ultra fast compact flash?

I have ordered Canon 350D. What are the benefits of using an ultra
fast Compact flash memory card please? Am I correct in saying that it
only comes into play when I transfer photos to/from the camera. Can I
just use the normal CF which are much cheaper?
Old August 2nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Wizzard wrote:
I have ordered Canon 350D. What are the benefits of using an ultra
fast Compact flash memory card please? Am I correct in saying that it
only comes into play when I transfer photos to/from the camera. Can I
just use the normal CF which are much cheaper?

It can come into play in the camera, esp. if you shoot RAW, and use
burst mode.

So, how and what you shoot will be a factor as to whether it's worth the
extra bucks to you to buy the fastest.

There are sites that have info, but I don't have any particular links.

--
John McWilliams
Old August 3rd 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

To be more specific - it matters if:

- you shoot at fast frame rates, specifically if..
- your memory card is slower than your camera can 'feed' it

There is no point getting a card faster than the rate at which your
camera can write data. Er ..unless you later upgrade to a faster
camera.. (O:

Old August 3rd 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:56:50 +0000, Wizzard wrote:

I have ordered Canon 350D. What are the benefits of using an ultra
fast Compact flash memory card please? Am I correct in saying that it
only comes into play when I transfer photos to/from the camera. Can I
just use the normal CF which are much cheaper?

I have the 350D and have no problems using normal CF cards. I use linux on
my computer and download with the usb cable (although I have a seperate
card reader that I could use and card reader slots on the comp.) that
gives a fast enough speed for my uses. I am retired so I can spend time on
my computer when I want as well as need to.

--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old August 3rd 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

wrote in message
ups.com...
To be more specific - it matters if:

- you shoot at fast frame rates, specifically if..
- your memory card is slower than your camera can 'feed' it

There is no point getting a card faster than the rate at which
your camera can write data. Er ..unless you later upgrade to
a faster camera.. (O:

And unless your cardreader is much faster than your card. If you're in
a hurry, waiting for the files to transfer to your computer can always
use some speeding-up ...

--
Bart