New HP A3+ Pigment Ink 8 Colour Photo Printer

Old February 26th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default New HP A3+ Pigment Ink 8 Colour Photo Printer

HP Photosmart Pro B9180

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-1143049.html
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Feb06/HP%20B9180.htm

8 Individual Cartridges.

With Matt Black, Photo Black and Light Grey.

13x19 prints in 1.5 mins with or without borders.

Waterproof prints, more than 200 year permanence.

Heavy duty. 37.7 lbs

700 US dollars

At last.

Deryck
Old February 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
says...
HP Photosmart Pro B9180

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-1143049.html
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Feb06/HP%20B9180.htm

8 Individual Cartridges.

With Matt Black, Photo Black and Light Grey.

13x19 prints in 1.5 mins with or without borders.

Waterproof prints, more than 200 year permanence.

How does such a printer compare with let's say a Lightjet on Crystal
Archive paper ?
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 26th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:56:10 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

How does such a printer compare with let's say a Lightjet on Crystal
Archive paper ?

Three years ago, there was this tradeoff:
75 year longevity and great gamut (Fuji)
or 200 year longevity with reduced Dmax
and gamut (Epson).

With the best current inkjets, the difference
is minimal. Epson keeps tweaking their
Ultrachrome formulations and adding more
colors to the ink set.

With the 1.5 pl drops on the R1800 series,
you simply cannot see dots any more, without
a loupe. The wide-format Epsons have 3.5
pl drops. Even there, you have to have your
nose right up to the print before any dots
will show.

In terms of gamut: downloadable profiles
for Fuji, Frontier, Epson and Canon are
all avaliable on the net, so you can draw
your own conclusions using the profile
viewer at www.iccveiw.de. As for these
newly-announced printers, that question
can't really be anwswered yet.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 27th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"deryck lant" wrote in message
HP Photosmart Pro B9180

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-1143049.html
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Feb06/HP%20B9180.htm

8 Individual Cartridges.

With Matt Black, Photo Black and Light Grey.

13x19 prints in 1.5 mins with or without borders.

Waterproof prints, more than 200 year permanence.

Heavy duty. 37.7 lbs

700 US dollars

At last.

Deryck

Never mind all this bullcrap. Let's talk about what really counts. Will it
squeak after a couple of months? Will it start picking up more than one
sheet of paper at a time a couple of months down the road? Will it start
skewing the images? Will it start leaving the last inch of a picture
incomplete? Can it be repaired locally or still have to be returned to the
factory just so they can tell you you'd be better off buying the next "New"
printer they have?
If incompetence in quality floats your boat, set sail my friend. Set sail.

mark_

Old February 27th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The message
from "mark_digital©" contains these words:

[...]

I wonder why the Pro large format printer market is dominated by HP?

Deryck
Old February 27th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:24:08 GMT, deryck lant
wrote:

I wonder why the Pro large format printer market is dominated by HP?

I wonder if you've heard of Epson?

Or Roland, Encad, Mimaki, or Colorspan?

Big HPs are often referred to as "plotters" and that
gives you an idea of HP's position in the market.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 28th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The message
from rafe b rafebATspeakeasy.net contains these words:

wrote:

I wonder why the Pro large format printer market is dominated by HP?

I wonder if you've heard of Epson?

Or Roland, Encad, Mimaki, or Colorspan?

Big HPs are often referred to as "plotters" and that
gives you an idea of HP's position in the market.

In the UK there are many exhibition quality prints being produced
by these "plotters"

Deryck
Old February 28th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"deryck lant" wrote in message

In the UK there are many exhibition quality prints being produced
by these "plotters"

Hey, look, I'm not putting them down, OK?

HP's niche has traditionally been in the CAD/CAM market.

Nick Helmuth (FLAAR) thinks they're great.

I don't really have any hard market data for any of these
brands (do you?), but I am most familiar with the market
for the Epson pro models.

From personal experience, it seems to me that Epson
has a huge role in the "fine art wide format" market --
but I have no numbers to show relatve sales volume
of HP, Epson, or any other vendor in that market.

If you have hard data along these lines, please share it.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old February 28th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The message
from "rafe b" contains these words:

"deryck lant" wrote in message

In the UK there are many exhibition quality prints being produced
by these "plotters"

Hey, look, I'm not putting them down, OK?

HP's niche has traditionally been in the CAD/CAM market.

Nick Helmuth (FLAAR) thinks they're great.

I don't really have any hard market data for any of these
brands (do you?), but I am most familiar with the market
for the Epson pro models.

From personal experience, it seems to me that Epson
has a huge role in the "fine art wide format" market --
but I have no numbers to show relatve sales volume
of HP, Epson, or any other vendor in that market.

If you have hard data along these lines, please share it.

Did not intend to wind you up. The knowledge you share on these
newsgroups is invaluable. I have no hard data as to marketshare.
In the UK HP is a very strong brand with excellent backup. HP
pricing against Epson seems more competitive here than in the
US. Designjet Inks are also lower cost per cc than Epson.

Deryck
Old February 28th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Alfred Molon writes ...

How does such a printer compare with let's say a Lightjet on
Crystal Archive paper ?

I don't know about the Canon pigment printers, but the Epson wide
formats compare well with Chromira and LightJet prints ... what I've
done is have the same image printed on a LightJet and on my Epson 4000
and compared directly, and I think the LJ is slightly sharper but the
difference is not earth-shattering. Consider I can print a 16x20"
image for about 1/5 th the cost on my 4000 and that the prints have a
longer projected life-span and I'm happy with the 4000.

Here are two links, the first is for a well-known pro lab in California
that has both Epson inkjets and a Chromira laser and feels the Chromira
prints are usually slightly better, depending on the image ...
http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...tip/tip15.html

And here's a link to an Epson enthusiast from last May when the 9800
came out ... http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html ... I think more
people would vote for the LightJet/Chromira prints, but given that the
Epson costs about 10% of a Chromira and 5% of a LightJet it's no
surprise most pros doing their own prints use Epsons.

The best way to judge for yourself is to have the identical image(s)
printed on each printer and compare side-by-side.

Bill