SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

Old March 8th 05, 12:24 AM
Jan Böhme

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:44:47 -0000, "adm" wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
link.net...
Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Ummmm.....what about spot metering and fast flash sync ?

Right. But fast flash sync is available in the 350D at a price - i.e.
if you by a Speedlight model expensive enough.

Spot metering, on the other hand, is unavailable, period.

Jan Böhme
Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.
Old March 8th 05, 01:19 AM

In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

If you sort by quality (across all shooting conditions) you end up
sorting roughly by price at the same time.

.... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.
--

John P Sheehy

Old March 8th 05, 01:47 AM

In message . net,
"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Like a RAW RGB histogram?
--

John P Sheehy

Old March 8th 05, 01:51 AM
David J. Littleboy

wrote in message
In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

If you sort by quality (across all shooting conditions) you end up
sorting roughly by price at the same time.

... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.

There are always exceptions.

http://etischer.com/300d/Tamron28-75.html

It looks to me that the Tamron at f/4.0 at the ends and f/5.6 in the middle
is about as good as lenses get. (Although it's a pity his 70-200/4.0
misfocused.) It's not coincidental that my Tamron has produced the sharpest
images I've seen from the 300D.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 8th 05, 01:58 AM
Scharf-DCA

John P Sheehy wrote:

Like a RAW RGB histogram?

AFAIK, the only low-end D-SLR with an RGB histogram is the Sigma SD10,
and it's there for a very good reason. It's not like any major player
is putting this feature into their amateur or prosumer models. But who
knows. We haven't seen the spec on the D80 or D200 yet, but they should
be out soon.

Old March 8th 05, 03:16 AM
Big Bill

On 7 Mar 2005 16:58:51 -0800, "Scharf-DCA"
wrote:

John P Sheehy wrote:

Like a RAW RGB histogram?

AFAIK, the only low-end D-SLR with an RGB histogram is the Sigma SD10,
and it's there for a very good reason.

Because the SD10 doesn't do anything *BUT* RAW?
It's not like any major player
is putting this feature into their amateur or prosumer models. But who
knows. We haven't seen the spec on the D80 or D200 yet, but they should
be out soon.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 8th 05, 03:17 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article , adm wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
link.net...

[ ... ]

The lack of mirror lock-up is just decontenting. They do lock up the
mirror for sensor cleaning, so the capability is there.

True. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a firmware hack for this
though...

Well ... remember that when sensor cleaning, they recommend
operating it from the AC power adaptor, which suggests that holding the
mirror up drains the battery rather quickly. This seems to me to be
adequate reason to not put it in the firmware -- either as an original
feature, or as an aftermarket "hack".

I suspect that the mirror is being held up by battery power full
time while it is up, and that to provide a reasonable mirror lock-up
feature, they would need to add hardware -- one solenoid to lift the
mirror (and let it latch), and another to release it once it is time to
do so.

At that time, they could also add a mirror up, delay, expose,
and mirror release features for extreme telephoto or for
astro-photography.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old March 8th 05, 03:26 AM

In message ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.

There are always exceptions.

http://etischer.com/300d/Tamron28-75.html

Well, I was thinking about stuff like 16-35mm, etc.

It looks to me that the Tamron at f/4.0 at the ends and f/5.6 in the middle
is about as good as lenses get. (Although it's a pity his 70-200/4.0
misfocused.) It's not coincidental that my Tamron has produced the sharpest
images I've seen from the 300D.)

Nice. I might find that hard to believe, except for the fact that I
already own one Tamron lens, the 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, and it is the
sharpest lens I own.
--

John P Sheehy