SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

Old March 6th 05, 06:51 AM
Alice

Default SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml
Old March 6th 05, 07:54 AM
Sheldon

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I hope this finally puts to rest the idea that more megapixels = a better
camera. Nice comparison. Thanks for the site.

Old March 6th 05, 10:55 AM
G.T.

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Well, there you have it. I'm buying a D70 now.

Not.

Greg

Old March 6th 05, 02:33 PM
Clyde Torres

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots will
read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.

I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

Clyde Torres

Old March 6th 05, 03:18 PM
Fitpix

"Sheldon" wrote in message

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I hope this finally puts to rest the idea that more megapixels = a better
camera. Nice comparison. Thanks for the site.

I went from the 10d to the 20d and the big difference I noticed was a much
better contrast in the 8mp camera. Not sure if it translates the same w the
300 and 350.

However the kit lens on the 70D seems to blow away the Canon version. Had I
not already had Canon lenses a couple years ago I may have gone Nikon. For
me the whole Nikon vs Canon thing is like eating a steak with a sterling
silver vs a silver-plated one....it's the steak (ie the image) that counts.

Old March 6th 05, 03:29 PM
ian lincoln

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
om...
"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
will read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.

I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

Reading the first page the feature set has the slight edge for nikon in
terms of shear number of advantages over the other. Whether these features
are individually or as a whole enough to sway one over the other is down to
personal preference. Overall you would have to be hard pushed to use either
of these cameras to their very limit.

Old March 6th 05, 03:33 PM
ian lincoln

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
will read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.

I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

Old March 6th 05, 06:20 PM
Sheldon

k...

"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
will read what they want out of it and come up with different
conclusions.

I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still
superior to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

Canon is no slouch when it comes to lenses. Do you think the inferior
(according to some) lens is to save money and bring the price of the camera
down? Or, does Nikon just have the edge in this genre of lens? After all,
when you buy a "kit," the lens is often as important or more important than
the camera, and will make a huge difference when comparing images. A crappy
lens on a 16 megapixel camera won't compare favorably to a great lens on a 5
megapixel camera, even if you blow up the prints.

Old March 6th 05, 07:49 PM
Steve Wolfe

going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

Given that the Canon kit lens ends up costing about $80 and that the Nikon
kit lens ends up costing about $300 (well, now $200 with the extra rebate),
that's exactly what you'd expect, regardless of brand. The argument that
the D70 is better than the DR XT because of the kit lens is like saying that
one car is better than another because of the tires that come on it.

Also, their repeated argument that the D70 can shoot 144 continuous burst
frames while the DR XT can only shoot 14 is completely wrong, the D70 gets
(depending on your card) about 2.8 FPS for 15 frames, while the DR XT gets
about 2.8 FPS for 20 frames - then they both drop to about 1.9 and 1.6,
respecively, until you run out of storage.
(http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/page6.asp) That sort of
exagerated inaccuracy really does make me question either their
familiarities with the cameras or intents.

(Note that I have no argument as to whether the D70 or 350D is a better
camera.)

steve