Question for you Apple crazies

Old June 14th 18, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Question for you Apple crazies

My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

Old June 14th 18, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J.Albert

On 6/13/18 10:08 PM, Bill W wrote:
Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

Sometimes shopping around can save $100-200.
You can also buy Apple-factory refurbished units (almost
indistinguishable from new, same 1-year warranty as new).

I wouldn't buy a 2016-2017 MacBook Pro due to problems with
the keyboards. VERY expensive repair if needed out-of-warranty.

I prefer the 2015 design -- better all around with a
keyboard that doesn't break and a full complement of legacy
ports.
Old June 14th 18, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 13, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

You could go back as far as 2010 to be able to dual boot into Windows, and
still run the latest macOS. However, that is pushing the envelope with regard
to future macOS upgrades.

I suggest you explore OWC as they have later models which they can custom
configure. They have a solid return policy, and offer great service. You are
only limited by your budget.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets

Since you are considering a MacBook Pro the configuration and CPU are going
to determine price. For example here is a mid 2014 15” with 16GB memory, a
quad core i7, and 1 TB SSD for $1999. You do know Macs hold their value?

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PD2HS62XXXXXC/

Otherwise go straight to Apple and buy new:

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch

....and this might be a good starting point for new, with some custom
configuration if you need it.

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/s...y-mac/macbook-
pro?product=MJLQ2LL/A&step=config#

Savageduck

Old June 14th 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/13/2018 10:08 PM, Bill W wrote:
My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

That is a fine machine. Whether you are getting one depends upon what
you plan to use it for. One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen. I find that I do not get the tonality in
the darker areas with a glossy screen, that I get with a matte screen.
If you plan to use it just for family type, or event pictures, it will
be fine. Based on my experience with the iPhone, and iPad, Apple service
has been satisfactory. The techies seem to know what they are doing. I
can't say about dual boot on the portable, but I'm sure that you will
get an honest and knowledgeable answer from Apple. As for price, some of
the big box stores sell either reconditioned, or out of the box
machines. I don't know about Apple. However, based upon my on experience
I would only purchase an Apple product directly from Apple. But that's
the conservative purchaser in me.

--
PeterN
Old June 14th 18, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/13/2018 10:08 PM, Bill W wrote:
My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

Sent too soon:
You might be interested in this article: I am posting the reference and
will not comment further, as you may hear all sorts of flack from
certain apple seeds.
https://www.cnet.com/news/5-things-apple-has-to-do-to-win-with-macs-this-fall/

--
PeterN
Old June 14th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

half the value of even the smallest house can buy a whole lotta apple
products.

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

absolutely. prices are not fixed. shop around.

one of the easiest and safest options is browse apple's refurb section,
which is generally around 15-20% off and includes a full warranty.

the only downside is your choices are limited to what's available when
you look, which changes daily, if not hourly (sometimes even less).
there is no build to order, and if you're looking for a specific model
and/or configuration, you may have to wait.

on the upside, you might get more than you bargained for, with *better*
specs than what's listed. no guarantees of course, but if they have a
handful of a higher config but not enough to add separate listing, they
might get included with a lower spec model and a few people get lucky.

otherwise, look for sales, particularly when new models are released
(which should be real soon now).

non-apple stores tend to offer discounts to clear old stock for the new
models. apple stores send them back to apple, where they end up on the
refurb store (i.e., they're still 'new', just last year's model).

b&h and adorama have periodic promos, sometimes rather lucrative ones
($800-1000 off higher end models, sometimes even more). best buy has
also been known to have unadvertised specials, sometimes 40-50% off the
original price.

not surprisingly, the best deals don't last long.

also keep in mind that unlike a lot of companies, the warranty goes
with the product, not the original buyer, even if you buy it used off
ebay (assuming it's not stolen).

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows?

2006, when apple transitioned to intel processors.

i don't remember what the cutoff is for win10 support, but it's at
least 2012, possibly earlier, and you don't really want a mac that old
anyway.

installing windows is easy, actually easier than a regular pc.

however, i would strongly suggest getting vmware instead (or in
addition to) so you can run windows apps alongside mac apps, without
the need to reboot.

How far back to get a
great retina display?

2012 for macbook pros, 2014 for the imac. wide gamut dci-p3 is 2016.

And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing?

that depends what you mean by more than adequate.

someone shooting photos and videos as a hobby will have a very
different idea than a pro who shoots ****loads photos or is producing
hour-long 4k videos every day.

but basically, unless you're a pro, anything in the last few years will
be fine, mac or windows.

as i said, there are new models due real soon now, so if you're not in
a rush, it would be *extremely* wise to wait a bit.

the fall is generally when new stuff is announced, alongside the
release of the next version of the various oses, but hardware could be
at any time. apple can easily push out a custom build if needed.

new models also means that the existing models will be discounted, so
either you get something very up to date or you save some cash.

much of the delays for mac updates are due to intel, something which is
affecting the entire industry.

unless of course, apple starts designing their own processors for
future macs, something they've been doing for ios devices for years...

How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

1987 with the macintosh ii, for up to six physical displays (one video
card per slot) and up to 255 total displays, including virtual ones.

since then, all that's required is the ability to connect additional
displays, which will vary, depending on specific model.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht206587
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202351

and at the high end,
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208366
With four Thunderbolt 3 ports built-in, iMac Pro supports up to four
4K displays or up to two 5K displays.

and that's *in* *addition* to the built-in 5k display.
Old June 14th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

You could go back as far as 2010 to be able to dual boot into Windows, and
still run the latest macOS. However, that is pushing the envelope with regard
to future macOS upgrades.

actually, that envelope has been sealed. ~2012 is the cutoff for mojave
for most models.
Old June 14th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

retina resolution is *far* more important.
Old June 14th 18, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 13, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Snip

You might be interested in this article: I am posting the reference and
will not comment further, as you may hear all sorts of flack from
certain apple seeds.
https://www.cnet.com/news/5-things-apple-has-to-do-to-win-with-macs-this-fall/

That is pretty much irrelevant considering it originates from CNET, and Bill
is considering a used/refurbished model, not the latest yet to be released
models. Older models are more than capable of dealing with most of Bill’s
needs.

Now when are you going to stop using “apple seeds”?
It has a nasty ring to it, the tone is intentionally demeaning, andisn’t
cute.

Savageduck

Old June 14th 18, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Jun 13, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):
You might be interested in this article: I am posting the reference and
will not comment further, as you may hear all sorts of flack from
certain apple seeds.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5-things-a...h-macs-this-fa
ll/

That is pretty much irrelevant considering it originates from CNET, and Bill
is considering a used/refurbished model, not the latest yet to be released
models. Older models are more than capable of dealing with most of Bills
needs.

Now when are you going to stop using apple seeds?
It has a nasty ring to it, the tone is intentionally demeaning, andisnt
cute.

'appleseed' is mayayana's shtick.

at least be original