And The Loser Is...

Old February 8th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default And The Loser Is...

In article , PeterN
wrote:

OTA would not work for me. Indoor reception is terrible, and use of an
outdoor antenna is not permitted.

yes it is.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...wned-antennas-
and-satellite-dishes
Under the OTARD rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install
an antenna on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive
use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums,
cooperatives, townhomes and manufactured homes.

What I am looking for is to get basic
Internet service with local channels. I would then use a service that
allows me to pick only the stations I watch. I have zero interest in the
movies, except for some old classics.

roku or apple tv.
Old February 8th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

To get what I want online is too much of a PITA. If you
know an easy and reliable way, please tell. I looked at sling, but they
could not provide what I want.

what content do you want?

have you looked at roku or appletv ?

Thanks, I looked at them. The do not have all of the channels I watch.

such as which ones?

if you want useful suggestions, you have to cease being vague.
Old February 8th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

OTA would not work for me. Indoor reception is terrible, and use of an
outdoor antenna is not permitted.

yes it is.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...wned-antennas-
and-satellite-dishes
Under the OTARD rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install
an antenna on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive
use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums,
cooperatives, townhomes and manufactured homes.

What is written is one thing. Practicality is something else. I am not
about to spend time in litigation, creating a brouhaha with my
neighbors, to save a few bucks. There is much more to life. e.g. It cost
us about $50,000 in damages, plus legal fees, because our board would
not permit a companion dog, which is expressly permitted under the ADA.
The US attorney handled the litigation for the woman.

--
PeterN
Old February 8th 18, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/8/2018 3:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

To get what I want online is too much of a PITA. If you
know an easy and reliable way, please tell. I looked at sling, but they
could not provide what I want.

what content do you want?

have you looked at roku or appletv ?

Thanks, I looked at them. The do not have all of the channels I watch.

such as which ones?

if you want useful suggestions, you have to cease being vague.

I am vague because I value my privacy. Also, notice that I stated in my
first comment on this issue, that getting what I want online is too much
of a PITA. I am talking about the necessary physical setup.

--
PeterN
Old February 8th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

put an antenna *inside* your apartment, in window. done.
Old February 8th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

To get what I want online is too much of a PITA. If you
know an easy and reliable way, please tell. I looked at sling, but they
could not provide what I want.

what content do you want?

have you looked at roku or appletv ?

Thanks, I looked at them. The do not have all of the channels I watch.

such as which ones?

if you want useful suggestions, you have to cease being vague.

I am vague because I value my privacy.

oh, *those* channels.

Also, notice that I stated in my
first comment on this issue, that getting what I want online is too much
of a PITA.

probably not.

I am talking about the necessary physical setup.

that's the easy part.
Old February 8th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

You should sue your board. The feds never, ever give up. Once they
latch on, they won't let go. Any board that puts an association at
risk like that needs to be removed, at the very least. I can't believe
their attorney would let them fight this, so you have to wonder if
they even consulted with one. If they didn't, it's one more reason to
sue them.

I'm also very familiar with OTARD. There are separate rules for
condos. You can place an antenna only on an exclusive use common area,
which would probably be only a patio. Otherwise it's an indoor antenna
only. Either way, I assume it's hopeless in many parts of NYC.

Old February 8th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:47:55 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/8/2018 1:19 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I am limited to two providers. I currently have 75Mb. it's part of a
bundle. If I switch providers I will get 200Mbs, and save about $30. per
month. My problem is the bundling. I haven't haven't watched any movies
for years. I only watch certain cable channels, and they are bundled
with the movies channels. The only reason I haven't switched is that the
other provider keeps changing the bundles.

cut the cord and get it online.

There are only 2 ISP s allowed where I live. Verizon & Optimum. Both are
lying leeches.

true, but that doesn't affect getting content.

To get what I want online is too much of a PITA. If you
know an easy and reliable way, please tell. I looked at sling, but they
could not provide what I want.

what content do you want?

have you looked at roku or appletv ?

Thanks, I looked at them. The do not have all of the channels I watch.

But they don't actually offer channels, they are simply the means to
get services & channels. Did you look at the services from the three I
mentioned? Roku is used only as a means to get those services, and
those services provide the channels.
Old February 8th 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

have you looked at roku or appletv ?

Thanks, I looked at them. The do not have all of the channels I watch.

But they don't actually offer channels, they are simply the means to
get services & channels. Did you look at the services from the three I
mentioned? Roku is used only as a means to get those services, and
those services provide the channels.

yep. there are ****loads of roku channels, some of which are not
mainstream channels and must be manually added.

apple tv also has a lot of content, although not quite as much as
what's on roku.
Old February 9th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/8/2018 3:48 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I did say that would give bad reception.

--
PeterN