Exposure values and light metering mode guidelines for beach

Old June 24th 04, 04:18 AM
Renee

Default Exposure values and light metering mode guidelines for beach

Hi all,

Does anyone have some general guidelines for me to try when taking pictures
at the beach? I imagine some photos will be of the landscape that includes
sand and water, and others will be of people on the sand in the sun or in
the shade under an umbrella.

What exposures values, what light metering modes and what combinations of
the two should I try for these scenerios?

I won't be using any auxiliary equipment like filters, a hood or reflector,
or an external light meter.

I've used an inexpensive point-and-shoot camera at the beach in the past and
wound up with blue tinted pictures, dark faces under umbrellas, washed out
beach scenes and blown highlights of the sand. My pictures might all come
just fine using the point-and-shoot automatic mode of my new camera, but I'd
like to experiment with some of the advanced settings.

I've been familiarizing myself with all the camera's settings, been taking
lots of pictures, have my crib sheets from books I perused, and browsed the
old dejanews posts. But I'd love to hear from some of you more experienced
photographers.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Renee