The D7300 could be a D500 on a Budget

Old March 9th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default The D7300 could be a D500 on a Budget

On 2017-03-09 10:55:12 +0000, Noons said:

On 8/03/2017 7:22 @wiz, RichA wrote:

Not only I'm going mirrorless, I'm also going shutterless. Currently
testing the electronic shutter of the Olympus E-M1 II. Pretty cool
feature - no moving parts at all, zero shot-induced vibrations. So far
it seems there is no noise or dynamic range penalty in using the
electronic shutter.

I use the electronic shutter as well in my EM5 II.
It's good for just about everything except flash:
if flash is on and activated, shutter won't fi needs to be proper
shutter for that.
But for everything else, it's constantly on in mine.
And with it I can take up to 10 shots per second, which make for quite
a nice near slow-mo at 4k if put together into a video with Corel Video
Studio X7 and 5 images/sec

Like everything in photography there is a time and place for using the
electronic shutter.

One should be aware that it is particularly vulnerable to the "rolling
shutter effect" when shooting subjects at speed. Athletes on a track
will have legs severely distorted to the point they will appear to have
lost their feet. Car and bicycle wheels will looks as if they have been
squashed into ovals. Propellor and rotor aircraft will show blade
distortion. I discovered the "rolling shutter effect" for myself when
thinking that the ES would be great for shooting hummingbirds in
flight, it isn't.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSF3671C.jpg

...and a helicopter
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ands_Flyg_EC12
0B_Colibri.JPG/1280px-Jamtlands_Flyg_EC120B_Colibri.JPG

That looks like a slit camera photo finish:

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-conten...Seagull-in-a-p
hoto-finish-at-the-Brighton-Races.png

saw a 4 second shot by one guy, pretty amazing what is possible today.

Indeed! I tend to rest the right hand's thumb on my right temple and
use my chest for the elbow of the left arm to form a kind of body
tripod with the arms, head, chest and camera.
With that, I can go well over 4secs and still get a reasonable shot.
These cameras are amazing! Currently eyeing a EM1 II, still a bit
expensive but it'll come down in price for sure.

I can't get over how the EM5 II can get me very good shots of stars
with a mirror lens and ISO at way up to 6400 and even more in a pinch!

Unreal!

That is a great ES application, as is shooting in locations where
shutter noise could be distracting.

--
teleportation kills
Old March 9th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Jamtlands_Flyg_EC120B_Colibri.JPG/1280px-Jamtlands_Flyg_EC120B_Colibri.JPG

That

looks like a slit camera photo finish:

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PAY-Seagull-in-a-photo-finish-at-the-Brighton-Races.png

Same

"rolling shutter" effect".
I see the gull came second.

Here are a few more severe examples:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/0sorenragsdale001.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/0sorenragsdale002.jpeg

Savageduck

Old March 9th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mtlands_Flyg_E

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-conten...gull-in-a-phot
o-finish-at-the-Brighton-Races.png

Same

"rolling shutter" effect".
I see the gull came second.

It kinda dived in... ;-)

Here are a few more severe examples:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/0sorenragsdale001.jpeg

Looks kinda funny when the subject don't match it's shadow... Lucky Luke
gone pilot?

Old March 9th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Noons says...
I saw a 4 second shot by one guy, pretty amazing what is possible today.

Indeed! I tend to rest the right hand's thumb on my right temple and
use my chest for the elbow of the left arm to form a kind of body tripod
with the arms, head, chest and camera.
With that, I can go well over 4secs and still get a reasonable shot.
These cameras are amazing! Currently eyeing a EM1 II, still a bit
expensive but it'll come down in price for sure.

Here are some examples of shots in the 3-10 seconds range, all handheld:
http://myolympus.org/E-M1_II/IBIS/
--
Alfred Molon

Old March 12th 17, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 10/03/2017 2:34 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:

One should be aware that it is particularly vulnerable to the "rolling
shutter effect" when shooting subjects at speed. Athletes on a track
will have legs severely distorted to the point they will appear to have
lost their feet. Car and bicycle wheels will looks as if they have been
squashed into ovals. Propellor and rotor aircraft will show blade
distortion. I discovered the "rolling shutter effect" for myself when
thinking that the ES would be great for shooting hummingbirds in flight,
it isn't.

I haven't yet seen any weird effects, but I don't take photos of
aircraft or athletics.
For the surfing shots I take, the electronic shutter of the EM5 is
perfect: so far haven't seen any weird effects. But thanks for the
warning, will be on the lookout for those.

Old March 12th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 23:47:46 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:51:35 -0500, me wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 09:24:12 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

A 70-200 f/2.8 VR would be nice for shooting night baseball. My
55-300 f/4.5 is fine for daytime baseball, but my D300 doesn't handle
higher ISO well as you know.

I'm curious, what do you consider to be higher ISO in this context?

My experience with my Nikon D300 is that 400 is as high as I can go
without producing intrusive noise at 1/250th. This is shooting
baseball at night on a lighted field. Shooting from a dugout to the
catcher, a fairly short distance, the umpire's black clothing will be
speckled with noise at above 400, and somewhat speckled at 400.

I'm shooting for action shots, and 1/250th is as slow as I can go and
expect a decent shot.

Flash, of course, is out of the question.

So you are still under exposed, then? Have you posted a sample
somewhere? What is the final use that you find this unacceptable?