My Morning Hardware Disaster

Old December 17th 14, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default My Morning Hardware Disaster

This morning my work table was upended when I snagged a foot and fell
into it. My iMac went off the back and the glass screen shattered. (I
am running it with a surprisingly clear display)

That was the bad news. The good news is, iFixit had a replacement in
their inventory, and since they are located 40 miles from me in San
Luis Obispo it should reach me some time Wednesday.
The cost $149.99 + tax + shipping.

The crime scene shot of the deceased.
https://db.tt/BWfQCF5e

....and the optimistic survivor.
https://db.tt/sm4glghT
(The smudge in the upper left is a finger. One of the problems when
grabbing an iPhone to take a quick shot.)

Savageduck

Old December 17th 14, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 201412162132517336-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

This morning my work table was upended when I snagged a foot and
fell into it. My iMac went off the back and the glass screen
shattered. (I am running it with a surprisingly clear display)

That was the bad news. The good news is, iFixit had a replacement in
their inventory, and since they are located 40 miles from me in San
Luis Obispo it should reach me some time Wednesday. The cost $149.99
+ tax + shipping.

The crime scene shot of the deceased. https://db.tt/BWfQCF5e

...and the optimistic survivor. https://db.tt/sm4glghT (The smudge
in the upper left is a finger. One of the problems when grabbing an
iPhone to take a quick shot.)

Ooops! Luckily, changing the glass panel on the iMac is so easy it's almost
hilarious. It's held in place with magnets and when the replacement
arrives, all you do is *click* it into place.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 17th 14, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 12/17/2014 02:55 AM, Sandman wrote:
[...]

Most of the repair work I do is on PC's but I am now seeing a few iMacs.

I decided to pick up an old junker so I could practice taking them apart
and putting them together. I was looking at a non-working one on eBay
but found a fully functional unti cheaper on my local CL

The first time I viewed the disassembly tutorial, as soon as I saw the
suction cup...I freaked out and said: "I'm not ready for this." and
turned it off.

On second viewing I laughed and realized that was no big deal at all.
Old December 18th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default My Morning Hardware Disaster (Update)

On 2014-12-17 05:32:51 +0000, Savageduck said:

This morning my work table was upended when I snagged a foot and fell
into it. My iMac went off the back and the glass screen shattered. (I
am running it with a surprisingly clear display)

That was the bad news. The good news is, iFixit had a replacement in
their inventory, and since they are located 40 miles from me in San
Luis Obispo it should reach me some time Wednesday.
The cost $149.99 + tax + shipping.

The crime scene shot of the deceased.
https://db.tt/BWfQCF5e

...and the optimistic survivor.
https://db.tt/sm4glghT
(The smudge in the upper left is a finger. One of the problems when
grabbing an iPhone to take a quick shot.)

New glass arrived via UPS at 16:10.
https://db.tt/ohU4jvqB

Replaced, up & running at 16:18.
https://db.tt/fbLEZM5X

I am a happy camper once more. ;-)

Savageduck

Old December 18th 14, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:05:26 -0800, Savageduck

On 2014-12-17 05:32:51 +0000, Savageduck said:

This morning my work table was upended when I snagged a foot and fell
into it. My iMac went off the back and the glass screen shattered. (I
am running it with a surprisingly clear display)

That was the bad news. The good news is, iFixit had a replacement in
their inventory, and since they are located 40 miles from me in San
Luis Obispo it should reach me some time Wednesday.
The cost $149.99 + tax + shipping.

The crime scene shot of the deceased.
https://db.tt/BWfQCF5e

...and the optimistic survivor.
https://db.tt/sm4glghT
(The smudge in the upper left is a finger. One of the problems when
grabbing an iPhone to take a quick shot.)

New glass arrived via UPS at 16:10.
https://db.tt/ohU4jvqB

Replaced, up & running at 16:18.
https://db.tt/fbLEZM5X

I am a happy camper once more. ;-)

Nice work. Hopefully, I'll join you in the Mac world soon. right now I
have a Macbook Pro Retina (13") and I'm looking at a desktop, as well.
But I'm waffling. Once I get an iMac up to the point where I'd like,
with an i7 processor and SSD, I'm within a few hundred of a mac pro,
and I'd just use my current screen and accessories. I'll need an
external drive with either choice, so that's a wash. I'm leaning
toward the Pro, even though it's more than I need. It'll just last
longer, I guess.
Old December 18th 14, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M[_2_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

...and the optimistic survivor.
https://db.tt/sm4glghT

Holy menubar Macman!

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old December 19th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 2014-12-17 05:32:51 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Will you be using a 4K monitor.
I have the new retina iMac with i7 and ssd.

Eventually, but for now, the next few years, my HP Z24i is very nice.
I like it.

I'll need an
external drive with either choice, so that's a wash. I'm leaning
toward the Pro, even though it's more than I need. It'll just last
longer, I guess.

It may last longer but the current pros the low end aren't better than the iMac. The next gen pros should be.
I decided on an iMac rather than a pro as I didn;t need the power a pro can give and there seemed little advantage in getting a low end pro when the imac retina appears much better value.

I think it is if you don't have a screen and keyboard and other stuff.
But I can get a Pro with a 512G SSD for under $3200 and the iMac
optioned up to that level is about $3K. I don't really need that
retina screen, but it'd be nice. Decisions, decisions...
Old December 19th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/19/2014 2:19 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

I think it is if you don't have a screen and keyboard and other stuff.
But I can get a Pro with a 512G SSD for under $3200 and the iMac
optioned up to that level is about $3K. I don't really need that
retina screen, but it'd be nice. Decisions, decisions...

I know I will be flamed for this:
IRC the Retina screen is glossy. IMHO a glossy screen has two issues
when used for photography
1. Reflections, Though this can be easily controlled.
2. Difficulties properly displaying tonalty in the deep shadow areas.

Plus it cannot be easily upgraded, if I want an additional drive for any
reason.

Others may disagree, and I'm willing to listen.

--
PeterN
donning fire resistant suit
Old December 19th 14, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-12-17 05:32:51 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Very nice they may be but, I presume, they still have glossy screens
with the potential for reflection problems that that implies. In any
case, I made a study of this some years ago and concluded that matte
screens more closely resembled a print. I know that not everyone will
agree with me but I certainly am not alone in my opinion.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

Eric Stevens
Old December 19th 14, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I think it is if you don't have a screen and keyboard and other stuff.
But I can get a Pro with a 512G SSD for under $3200 and the iMac
optioned up to that level is about $3K. I don't really need that
retina screen, but it'd be nice. Decisions, decisions...

I know I will be flamed for this:
IRC the Retina screen is glossy. IMHO a glossy screen has two issues
when used for photography
1. Reflections, Though this can be easily controlled.
2. Difficulties properly displaying tonalty in the deep shadow areas.

clearly you've never actually used a retina imac. the reflections are
minimal and there is no difficulty whatsoever in displaying tonality in
shadows or elsewhere.

there is also no comparison to its resolution. nothing comes anywhere
close, especially at its price point.

Plus it cannot be easily upgraded, if I want an additional drive for any
reason.

nonsense.

it has multiple usb and thunderbolt ports, so you can add as many
drives as you want.

it also has gigabit ethernet ad 802.11ac wifi, so you can add as many
network drives as you want.

Others may disagree,

millions do.

and I'm willing to listen.