Seriously Epic Drone Footage from Iceland to Get Your Heart and Wanderlust Racing

Old December 10th 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Seriously Epic Drone Footage from Iceland to Get Your Heart and Wanderlust Racing

The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/
or http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Eric Stevens
Old December 10th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-10 01:02:32 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/

or

http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

That was seriously impressive.

Savageduck

Old December 10th 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/9/2014 8:02 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/
or http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Good images. But, I don't agree with your analogy. It takes more skill
to capture emotion in a monochrome, than in color.
Come to think of it, making a still image that captures the feeling of a
place is more difficult than making a video.

--
PeterN
Old December 11th 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.12.09, 20:02 , Eric Stevens wrote:
The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/
or http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Very well done. I found the colours a bit on the dull side. Then again
it's Iceland ...

Drones will be taking on a huge role in _many_ areas.

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old December 16th 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikishi42

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
On 12/9/2014 8:02 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/
or http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Good images. But, I don't agree with your analogy. It takes more skill
to capture emotion in a monochrome, than in color.
Come to think of it, making a still image that captures the feeling of a
place is more difficult than making a video.

True, but is the goal to make things as difficult as possible?

If it is, I would argue that expressing an emotion in a cave wall painting
was even more difficult. And therefor not even a monochrome photographer
could ever hope to reach the artistic level of a Neaderthal artist.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson
Old December 16th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
On 12/9/2014 8:02 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/
or http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Good images. But, I don't agree with your analogy. It takes more skill
to capture emotion in a monochrome, than in color.
Come to think of it, making a still image that captures the feeling of a
place is more difficult than making a video.

True, but is the goal to make things as difficult as possible?

If it is, I would argue that expressing an emotion in a cave wall painting
was even more difficult. And therefor not even a monochrome photographer
could ever hope to reach the artistic level of a Neaderthal artist.

I suspect it certainly would require a hihg degree of skill to make an
emotional cave man drawing.
BTW IIRC Cro Magnon were alo cave men.

Seriously, with a color image, the color will often carry an image that
would be considered mediocore in monochrome.

--
PeterN
Old December 16th 14, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

The thing to remember is, do not make presumptions regarding
prehistoric cave art. Not all of it is monochrome and certainly the
term "primitive art" should only be applied loosely.
http://www.donsmaps.com/images25/lascauxhorsesaurochshd.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 17th 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Interestingly enough, the January 2015 issue of NatGeo has an article
on this very subject. My subscription gets me the online & paper
editions, so I get them in my iPad, mt desktop, or out of the mail box.
https://db.tt/1UNaPHoy

Savageduck

Old December 17th 14, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Monochrome is principally about form. Form can be enhanced by colour
but many people see only the colour and are completely unswayed by the
form.

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 14, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-16 22:03:30 +0000, PeterN said:

Seriously, with a color image, the color will often carry an image that
would be considered mediocore in monochrome.

That is true in this case:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1087.jpg

Savageduck