The mess that is Photos on iOS and OSX

Old December 1st 14, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default The mess that is Photos on iOS and OSX

In article , Sandman
wrote:

So, basically, now we're currently in some form of semi-transition period
of handling photos on iOS and OSX.

maybe you are, but 'we' are not.

At first there were only local photos on your Mac, then the iPod and later
the iPhone came along and syncing photos to these via iTunes were an
option.

Then MobileMe came along, and introduced "Photostream", which was an online
cloud-service you could auto-sync photos from iOS and iPhoto/Aperture. It
was later transitioned to iCloud. It is now a mix of "Shared albums" with
others and a shared "My Photo Stream" between your devices

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

iPhoto and Aperture are discontinued but have been updated to support the
current state of Photo Streams on iCloud, but will never support the
"iCloud Photos", we're waiting for the "Photos" app for OSX to get full
support, and last we heard, "spring 2015" was when that could be expected.

'early 2015' is what was said.

So, there is no way to upload photos from your Mac to "iCloud Photos" other
than using the (beta) iCloud website, and thus also turning off synced
photos to your iOS devices via iTunes.

so what?

weren't you switching to lightroom anyway?

For this reason, I have not yet turned on iCloud Photos, which means that
iPhoto/Aperture, my iPhone and my iPad all sync their photos via the "My
Photo Stream" album on each device, which means that edits are not syned
either, since the old Photo Stream doesn't support it.

It's a feature vaccum, currently, were the end user is left waiting for
other pieces of the puzzle to be released for it to actually work as
advertised.

why don't you call apple and help them finish it sooner.
Old December 2nd 14, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikishi42

On 2014-12-01, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

OK, did my part. Off to have a Westvleteren 12 now, sorry.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson
Old December 2nd 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Rikishi42
wrote:

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

i know the reasons why they can't coexist.

he obviously does not, nor do you.
Old December 3rd 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-01, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

OK, did my part. Off to have a Westvleteren 12 now, sorry.

I am partial to St Bernardus Abt 12 myself.

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 14, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-01, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

OK, did my part. Off to have a Westvleteren 12 now, sorry.

I am partial to St Bernardus Abt 12 myself.

Is that the same as the cockney/sarf lundun "going off for a sherman ...."

No. It is just a great Belgian abbey ale.

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 14, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikishi42

On 2014-12-01, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta. If you
enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced photos from iTunes
since for unknown reasons these cannot co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't trolling.

Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

OK, did my part. Off to have a Westvleteren 12 now, sorry.

I am partial to St Bernardus Abt 12 myself.

I drank one a few weeks ago. After getting the cases of Westvleteren at the
abbey we went for a drink in Oostvleteren. I had forgotten St Bernardus,
actually. Nice to re-discover.

Old December 5th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

Sandman:
So, basically, now we're currently in some form of semi-transition
period of handling photos on iOS and OSX.

maybe you are, but 'we' are not.

The transition is the same for everyone. Whether or not it is a problem is
another question. But the transition is underway and it applies to
everyone.

Sandman:
At first there were only local photos on your Mac, then the iPod
and later the iPhone came along and syncing photos to these via
iTunes were an option.

Then MobileMe came along, and introduced "Photostream", which was
an online cloud-service you could auto-sync photos from iOS and
iPhoto/Aperture. It was later transitioned to iCloud. It is now a
mix of "Shared albums" with others and a shared "My Photo Stream"
between your devices

Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in beta.
If you enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all synced
photos from iTunes since for unknown reasons these cannot
co-exist.

the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't
trolling.

Cool, so can you explain it then? What kind of first hand access do you
have to iOS development? Why does iOS need to delete iTunes-synced content
in order to use iCloud Beta. Don't be afraid to be technical.

Sandman:
iPhoto and Aperture are discontinued but have been updated to
support the current state of Photo Streams on iCloud, but will
never support the "iCloud Photos", we're waiting for the "Photos"
app for OSX to get full support, and last we heard, "spring 2015"
was when that could be expected.

'early 2015' is what was said.

Yeah?

Sandman:
So, there is no way to upload photos from your Mac to "iCloud
Photos" other than using the (beta) iCloud website, and thus also
turning off synced photos to your iOS devices via iTunes.

so what?

So that's a problem for someone wanting to enable multi-device editing
while also being able to get your OSX photos to your iOS device.

weren't you switching to lightroom anyway?

I'm using both.

Sandman:
For this reason, I have not yet turned on iCloud Photos, which
means that iPhoto/Aperture, my iPhone and my iPad all sync their
photos via the "My Photo Stream" album on each device, which means
that edits are not syned either, since the old Photo Stream
doesn't support it.

It's a feature vaccum, currently, were the end user is left
waiting for other pieces of the puzzle to be released for it to
actually work as advertised.

why don't you call apple and help them finish it sooner.

Because I can't help them finish it sooner.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 5th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

In article , Rikishi42

Sandman:
Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in
beta. If you enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all
synced photos from iTunes since for unknown reasons these
cannot co-exist.

nospam:
the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't
trolling.

Rikishi42:
Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

i know the reasons why they can't coexist.

Which is?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 5th 14, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

Sandman:
So, basically, now we're currently in some form of semi-transition
period of handling photos on iOS and OSX.

maybe you are, but 'we' are not.

The transition is the same for everyone. Whether or not it is a problem is
another question. But the transition is underway and it applies to
everyone.

the transition is not the same for everyone.

some people will continue to use aperture until the very end when it
stops working. apple has guaranteed it will work through yosemite which
just came out, so those people have several years of life left as long
as they keep using yosemite and it might even work with whatever comes
after but no guarantees there.

since there are still quite a few people using snow leopard (4
revisions back), there will likely be laggards who won't go past
mavericks or yosemite for many years.

however, most people will transition to another app, whether it's
photos, apple's replacement for aperture/iphoto, adobe lightroom or
something else entirely.

lightroom now supports directly importing aperture libraries, making it
easier than it was several months ago.

so no, the transition is without question, not the same for everyone.
not even close to similar, let alone the same.

not only that and as i've said it before, making any decision now is
premature. the wisest thing to do is wait until photos ships and see
whether it fits one's needs and at *that* point, decide what to do.

adobe knows that so they're desperately trying to grab as many users as
they can *before* photos comes out, because once those users switch to
lightroom they won't switch back to photos.

after photos comes out, a substantial number of users will simply
migrate to that and adobe loses potential customers.

Sandman:
[...]

i have full access to ios/osx development information since i'm a
developer, but that's irrelevant since the issue has been publicly
discussed on numerous venues. there's nothing secret about it
whatsoever. the issues are well known and well understood.

nevertheless, for those that live in a cave, apple is switching to
cloudkit, which is entirely new and incompatible with what came before.
you get one or the other.

what came before, core data and icloud, was fundamentally broken. apple
fixed a lot of the issues but realized it could never work properly so
they said **** it and started over.

the two are not compatible. in other words, it's either/or.

Sandman:
iPhoto and Aperture are discontinued but have been updated to
support the current state of Photo Streams on iCloud, but will
never support the "iCloud Photos", we're waiting for the "Photos"
app for OSX to get full support, and last we heard, "spring 2015"
was when that could be expected.

'early 2015' is what was said.

Yeah?

yeah.

Sandman:
So, there is no way to upload photos from your Mac to "iCloud
Photos" other than using the (beta) iCloud website, and thus also
turning off synced photos to your iOS devices via iTunes.

so what?

So that's a problem for someone wanting to enable multi-device editing
while also being able to get your OSX photos to your iOS device.

there is no problem.

weren't you switching to lightroom anyway?

I'm using both.

that's an incredibly bad idea.

Sandman:
For this reason, I have not yet turned on iCloud Photos, which
means that iPhoto/Aperture, my iPhone and my iPad all sync their
photos via the "My Photo Stream" album on each device, which means
that edits are not syned either, since the old Photo Stream
doesn't support it.

It's a feature vaccum, currently, were the end user is left
waiting for other pieces of the puzzle to be released for it to
actually work as advertised.

why don't you call apple and help them finish it sooner.

Because I can't help them finish it sooner.

then stop whining.

photos will be done when it's done, but probably released before it's
truly done.
Old December 5th 14, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

Sandman:
Now we have a new service called "iCloud Photos", still in
beta. If you enable it on your iOS device, it will remove all
synced photos from iTunes since for unknown reasons these
cannot co-exist.

nospam:
the reasons are known and well understood by those who aren't
trolling.

Rikishi42:
Maybe, but he's talking to you now.

i know the reasons why they can't coexist.

Which is?

cloudkit.

see other post for more details.